C250 td start issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjstrizzy

Car
w202 c250 td
Hi

Got a c250 td that is really struggling to start in cold temperatures, that bad I have to hook my van up to batteries with jump leads to gain enough power to start

Never had this issue untill now, bloody car refused to start last night, took me 20minutes to start it today. And it won't start again tonight.

I know the glow plugs are working but there not holding for long enough, tried turning the ignition on and off but still nothing. Any one else have a suggestion? Fuel system has no air lock.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Alternator charges when running ..

It will most likely be air ingress, via all the crappy fuel lines' O rings.
Or test the glow plugs and relay.

So, if you hook it up to jump start it, it will fire up easily as normal?

If so, the battery is probably on its last legs and the cold weather has made it worse. Get the battery drop tested as it may need replacing.

It does sound like air, have you replaced the lines/seals?

How long does the relay give power for?

So, if you hook it up to jump start it, it will fire up easily as normal?

If so, the battery is probably on its last legs and the cold weather has made it worse. Get the battery drop tested as it may need replacing.
Nah the battery can't handle how long it takes to start. It starts to go flat

Nah I havnt replaced anything yet, gunna do a service on it, but all the pipes are new I got a receipt for them in the boot, the orings I'll have replaced as they cost pennies.

but once it's going it runs sweet all day long. So I know it's not air in the system.

I've read up it could be crank sensor or stop solenoid. So I think these are gunna be first thing I check.

Last night I filled the fuel tank it to the brim ( after taking nearly an hour to start ) with a tenner of petrol to also, blasted the guts off of her untill she was in reserve then filled up again, this morning it started up with no ease .. I'm guessing I've cleared summin out so fingers crossed ..

I would say its your battery. If you have driven it for that amount of time you've given it a good charge, hence why its started ok.

Sounds more like leaking delivery valve seals to me.

It takes ages to start because the diesel runs back from the injection pump overnight, once it has started it will be fine all day. Briming the tank will help because the diesel level is higher in the tank than the pump, so it wont run back as easy. Parking the car facing downhill has much the same effect.

Try checking the battery water levels, most common reason for batteries failing at this time of the year, Sometimes you can get away with a top up!

Try checking the battery water levels, most common reason for batteries failing at this time of the year, Sometimes you can get away with a top up!

Batteries have been sealed and non tamper for years now, unlikely to have a battery you can top up with distilled water like you could in the 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom