C250 Turbodiesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cidersurfer

Hi all. We're thinking about changing the Smart for a more dog friendly car and saw this today at a nearby garage. It is pretty well immaculate on the surface. A quick look underneath, all seems okay but the diff looks a bit oily/grimey? It's not a manual as it says in the ad, it's an auto.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-S-MERCED...oryZ9855QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, what should I be checking for and what's it really worth? :rolleyes:

Castle Motors aren't far from me at all, used to know the owners son years ago. Good Luck!! :)

Prices tend to be on the steep side so think there should be plenty of room for negotiation.....:)

Their prices have always been on the wrong side of "steep"....
I think its a lot of money for an 8 year old car.

Drop Gazcaff a pm, he has a 250td and can tell you what to look for.

Hi all. We're thinking about changing the Smart for a more dog friendly car and saw this today at a nearby garage. It is pretty well immaculate on the surface. A quick look underneath, all seems okay but the diff looks a bit oily/grimey? It's not a manual as it says in the ad, it's an auto.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-S-MERCED...oryZ9855QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, what should I be checking for and what's it really worth? :rolleyes:

Nice Spec, a weeping diff isn't uncommon and probably not a great worry tbh.

I would suggest in a private sale the car would be £1k+ less, and as it appears to be a trade-in, bargain hard, walk away and see if they chase after you as you walk out the door :D

Looks a nice car.

:rolleyes:

I just sold my C250 estate.only problem i had was with the fuel pipes (common problem) Was a great car.but i moved on to a c270 estate:bannana:
BTW i sold it for a tad under 3K

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. :)

racall
Can you expand on the fuel pipes thing? Is it pipes from tank or injectors or whatever? ;)

CALLING GAZCAFF! :rock:

racall
Can you expand on the fuel pipes thing? Is it pipes from tank or injectors or whatever? ;)

The rubber O Rings on the fuel pipes attaced to the fuel pump start to let in air and make it difficult to start.Have a look at the fuel pipes to see if they have been renewed. I had a leak on the O ring behind the fuel shut off valve.Its not an expensive job to replace the pipes ,about £40 in parts. Other parts that wear out are the heater blower motor/windscreen wiper motor/heater duo valve (hot air coming out of the vents)

But most of all check for rust around the tailgate handle.

Last edited:

racall

The rubber O Rings on the fuel pipes attaced to the fuel pump start to let in air and make it difficult to start.Have a look at the fuel pipes to see if they have been renewed. I had a leak on the O ring behind the fuel shut off valve.Its not an expensive job to replace the pipes ,about £40 in parts. Other parts that wear out are the heater blower motor/windscreen wiper motor/heater duo valve (hot air coming out of the vents)

But most of all check for rust around the tailgate handle.

Pity this hadn't come up earlier, I've had nearly all these probs aswell, still living with some of them as I can't get anyone to look at them!

Got all the leaks sorted, that was a bit relief!
Have had several heater motors replaced but still no heat! Whats this duo valve thingy? I would like some heat this winter.

Cheers

:)

Anyone know the book price then? It could be fun to make an offer! ;)

Done! Now to let my mechanic know about this. (Not easy telling someone their job...especially as I'm no mechanic myself!)

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom