c250 with 17" or 18" alloys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazed

Car
Mercedes w204 c200 cdi
I will be picking up a w204 C250 sport with 18" AMG alloys from a main dealer and was wondering whether I should be asking to downgrade the alloys to a more sensible 17".

The main reason being I think this will help give a slighty softer rider and save a little money when I come to change the tyres. Can anyone confirm the ride is any better on 17's than 18's? IS there any difference? :dk:

I have had both sizes on w204 estates and the 17" wheels increased the ride comfort by a noticeable amount.

I swapped from my winter 17s back to my main 18s last weekend.

Not really a fan of the 17s, whether it's the tyres (Dunlop Winters), the set up of the car or in my head, it just doesn't feel 'right' to me.

Back onto the 18s and the car feels more composed to me and a staggered set up feels like how the car was meant to be.

Each to their own though, see if there is any chance of trying each set up?

I had a c250 hire car whilst mine was in for repair. My 2012 c350 presumably has the 18" wheels you refer

Definitely more pliable ride, more comfortable? Yes probably - I didn't worry about minor potholes/manhole covers etc so much (but then it wasn't my car!!!)

But I didn't like the steering- worse from a drivers enjoyment. Less responsive and less sporty. In fact the electronic steering on the 2014 c class much too light and lacking in feedback, too artificial

I want the feel of 17" ride, for that reason am delaying my next car to see if I can get airmatic for the best of both worlds?

I have 18inch on my summer tires and 17's on my winter tires on a 2012 c220. The ride is better on the 17's but the handling is much better on the 18's. It can get a bit crashy on poorly surfaced roads (that means pretty much all round by me). I have not had to replace the 17's yet but I had to change 2 rears at a cost of nearly £200 each.

But I didn't really give my answer did I!

I like the driving feel of the 18". Ride is only slightly harsher but handling noticeably better. Noise possibly higher too, all these elements only by small margins. For me my car deserves the 18" rims, maybe this will affect future buyers desire for the car too?

I would ask yourself if you're a 'spirited driver' or not? That will answer the question for you

I am playing with the idea of a complete change in style of car to an ML, in that case for example low profile tyres don't suit it, unless you can afford airmatic

I paid a bit under £300 for two 255 35 18 rears a few months back. Mobile tyre fitter

Thanks for the great replys guys, I think I will stick with the 18's and see how it goes, the car definitely looks better with them on and yes the improved handling is a bonus.

I just need to learn to miss pot holes!:rock:

Smaller wheels on nearly all common cars is better in all aspects than the larger wheels. Apart from the looks.
So if you don't mind the looks,then there's really no dillema. Go for 17's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom