C250cdi coupe to replace my 335i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjs

Car
C250cdi Coupe, Audi S5 Cab
Evening, long time no post, but seeing as I'm about to be in a Merc for the next 2 years I thought I'd say hello.

After spending £13k on petrol in 2 years in a 2006 335i, and pretty much the last 12 years in bmws, I've opted for a new C250cdi coupe amg sprt ed 125 auto on a 2 year lease deal which arrives on Friday.

My plan is simply to halve my fuels bills after averaging 26mpg in the BMW. + enjoy cheaper insurance and no tax.

I've not even driven one, but the reports read well, and I'm willing to trade a little performance and a rock hard ride for much better economy, a better ride/handling balance, and an up to date modern car. The standard spec is great, and the supplier managed to track one down with full leather and heated seats. Looking forward to it.

Will post up a couple of pics on Friday.

(and if anyone wants a 335i for £13k let me know!)

Welcome to the C-Coupe-Club! :thumb:

I moved from a TT-S for the exact same reasons and despite a few niggles this car over-achieves in the value for money department.

Welcome to a Merc.

But it's not an AMG.

Would you call a BMW 320d with a M sport wheel a BMW M320d?

All IMHO

Welcome to a Merc.

But it's not an AMG.

All IMHO
Crockers when you see the ***** in the fast lane in their 320d's they ARE M320d's. Fastest car on the motorway. But I also hasten to say that they are now not as bad as the Audi brigade whose 2.0 TDI'S all perform like R8's.
Why would anyone buy a 3 series over a C Class I just don't know.

All IMHO

Happy new car!

My C220cdi AMG (;)) Sport 125 arrived last Friday. It's the saloon rather than the coupe as I needed the four doors. Leather interior and heated seats too, which I really like. Very impressed with it so far. The Command is very good. Look forward to the pic(s) of yours when you get it. :thumb:

<---Looking at your profile do you have an X3 aswell? We have a facelift 2.0D SE and its a brilliant vehicle - far superior to the Freelander it replaced. Should really sell it but it's been that reliable and is only costing insurance/ running costs we are loathed to be without it.

Welcome to the C-Coupe-Club! :thumb:

I moved from a TT-S for the exact same reasons and despite a few niggles this car over-achieves in the value for money department.

Cheers

Welcome to a Merc.

But it's not an AMG.

All IMHO

Says 'AMG' on the V5, and 'AMG' on the MB agreement. I missed off BlueEFF as well. Maybe I'll stick an AMG badge on the back?:D In all seriousness of course its not a proper AMG

Happy new car!

My C220cdi AMG (;)) Sport 125 arrived last Friday. It's the saloon rather than the coupe as I needed the four doors. Leather interior and heated seats too, which I really like. Very impressed with it so far. The Command is very good. Look forward to the pic(s) of yours when you get it. :thumb:

<---Looking at your profile do you have an X3 aswell? We have a facelift 2.0D SE and its a brilliant vehicle - far superior to the Freelander it replaced. Should really sell it but it's been that reliable and is only costing insurance/ running costs we are loathed to be without it.

Sounds promising. The X3 we have is a 54 plate 3.0i sport auto - juicy, but very well built. Probably end up keeping it over winter - insurers being awkward about 3 cars though.

its here

Just been delivered to my drive - first impressions are great. Arrived with 100 miles on the clock showing 47 mpg driven by a very nice old chap. Plenty of miles to do next week so looking forward to doing a bit of a review and compare and contrast with the bmw. Tonight i'll be mostly sat in it with the manual trying to work our what every button and menu does.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 147
Nice car and congrats. But I'm sure you'll miss the power of the 335i.

Which silver is that? Really liking it. Any other pics?

Iridium silver. Few more pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
That looks nice

Is there not an option as the e class to have an additional exhaust outlet on the other side (like you BMW) it would look so much better and balance the rear

Please report back with you mpg and what you like / dis like.

I guess only the C350 will have the twin exhaust, similar to other MB models.

The car looks great, but I'm sure it's not going to offer anywhere near the performance of the 335i!

Last edited:
26mpg average from a 335i? wow.

Good wow or bad wow?

I got 26.9 average on mine over a year, and it would easily do mid thirties on a run if you stayed at 80mph.

In Europe I managed just over 30mpg with an average of 92mph over 600 miles, which is pretty good I reckon.

Mine was mapped as well, would do the sprint to 60 in 4.7 seconds every time, so getting 27mpg average is pretty good.

But getting old and the C250cdi appeals much more than the 335i, looks great mate.

I just don't believe a 300bhp 3 litre twin turbo unit can return those figures, and no amount of explaining will make me think otherwise.

I believe it can achieve those figures on a run yeah why not... but averaging that over an entire tank? or even more tanks for that matter? Even the 35d engine struggles to do that and I know because i've witnessed it in the form a 535d with a very conservative owner as the driver.

But to be more on topic... The C250cdi looks great... its supposed to be a great engine in what has to be the best C-class facelift I've ever seen Mercedes execute! Congratulations :)

Last edited:
I just don't believe a 300bhp 3 litre twin turbo unit can return those figures, and no amount of explaining will make me think otherwise.

I believe it can achieve those figures on a run yeah why not... but averaging that over an entire tank? or even more tanks for that matter? Even the 35d engine struggles to do that and I know because i've witnessed it in the form a 535d with a very conservative owner as the driver.

My 335i was exactly the same as my 535d mpg wise, and during the winter months on a sub 10 mile run in the morning the petrol was the more economical of the two.

Did 20k miles in the 335i and 40k miles in the 535d over a year in each doing the same journeys, so got a pretty good idea of them both.

Quite a few of my tanks were over 30mpg for the whole tank.

Edit: Just to put that into perspective. Other cars I have had and what they averaged as a comparison.......

1999 528i se auto - 19mpg
2001 530i auto - 24mpg
2002 320d auto touring - 34mpg
120d auto - 36mpg
ML270cdi - 22mpg
E320 V6 petrol - 25mpg
S4 avant manual - 18mpg

Currently...
E320cdi V6 3 litre auto - 34mpg
BMW X1 2 litre diesel manual - 42mpg

Last edited:
My 335i was exactly the same as my 535d mpg wise, and during the winter months on a sub 10 mile run in the morning the petrol was the more economical of the two.

Did 20k miles in the 335i and 40k miles in the 535d over a year in each doing the same journeys, so got a pretty good idea of them both.

Quite a few of my tanks were over 30mpg for the whole tank.

Edit: Just to put that into perspective. Other cars I have had and what they averaged as a comparison.......

1999 528i se auto - 19mpg
2001 530i auto - 24mpg
2002 320d auto touring - 34mpg
120d auto - 36mpg
ML270cdi - 22mpg
E320 V6 petrol - 25mpg
S4 avant manual - 18mpg

Currently...
E320cdi V6 3 litre auto - 34mpg
BMW X1 2 litre diesel manual - 42mpg

Your figures for the other cars sound believable, although the 530i drinking less than the 528i is surprising, I've known the 523/528 E39's to be the most eco 6 bangers BMW had at the time..

36mpg from a 120d? how were you driving it? :D I've heard those 2L bmw diesel units to be very economical...

But on a more serious note, look at the cars you've quoted compared to the 335i/d (on average), their power figures are almost 100bhp less and still your quoting similar consumption... do you see my point?

yep

unless you drive on open roads will an extra 100bhp will make much difference?

Your figures for the other cars sound believable, ]although the 530i drinking less than the 528i is surprising, I've known the 523/528 E39's to be the most eco 6 bangers BMW had at the time..

The 528i terrible for consumption, I bought mine with 30k miles on it already and went straight to Paris in it, sat at a very conservative 80mph all the way there and back it struggled to get past 28mpg.
Loads of owners seemed to say the same, although I do think that was close to official figures.

The 530i would do 35mpg on a run no problem and ever round town never dropped below 24mpg.

36mpg from a 120d? how were you driving it? :D I've heard those 2L bmw diesel units to be very economical...

This was an early one with the older steptronic 'box, that was what killed the mpg, I had a later one in the 3 touring with the newer ZF 'box and that was averaging 44mpg, and on a run would see figures into the 60's if you stuck at the speed limits, and on A Road runs stuck at 50mph 70+ was do able.

But on a more serious note, look at the cars you've quoted compared to the 335i/d (on average), their power figures are almost 100bhp less and still your quoting similar consumption... do you see my point?

I have never found power to be the factor for MPG, more weight, tryes and type of gearbox in it.
My CSL had 365bhp but was light and had a sequential manual gearbox, and therefore would return very good mpg I averaged 24mpg in it.
A 911 C2S Gen 2, 385 bhp and users are averaging mid 20s and seeing 30mpg no problem on a run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom