C250CDI MB dont know what's wrong with it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My C Coupe I received in September and I have a tappety sound under acceleration but only if I'm a little spirited with the accelerator. Was going to mention on the first service, I've done nearly 11,000 miles in it in 7.5 months. I wonder if the issue is similar to yours (similar but maybe not the same)? I've had the sound since I've owned it and oil levels are good but otherwise the car seems ok.

Good luck with getting yours resolved to a satisfactory conclusion.

Just had a call from MB Derby.
Tappet's replaced, they initially thought it had solved the problem but after the test drive found the noise is still present.
More sound clips being sent to MB Germany along with turbo data.
There are now 2 possible scenario's they are looking at.
1. Problem around turbo propellor (highly unlikely to be the issue,but being investigated anyway).
2. Little end, possible problem with shaft bearing/shells possibly caused due to initial low oil pressure problem which has gotten worse over time.

Waiting for Germany to get back to MB Derby to instruct them how to progress.....

philipdayton said:
Thanks bropa09
Might be worth mentioning it next time you are in at the dealers;)

Thanks I will :). Seems you are doing all the diagnosis for me/my dealer!

Over 16 weeks now!... Still waiting!
Technician apparently went to MB Derby last Thursday but not heard anything yet!

This must be some sort of record!!!

Seriously, I would ask them to replace the whole car, that is just ridiculous. Who knows what they have done to fix it.

At the very minimum, make sure you get the warranty extended.

Finally..............

looks like we might be getting somewhere!
After nearly 17 weeks of tinkering, changing bit and bobs, calls backwards and forward, technicians visits etc etc.....

They have decided to change the engine:bannana:
Not 100% sure I am happy with the outcome or not, time will tell.

The senior technician from MB insisted that they change the ECU, which they did and that didnt resolve the problem. They wanted to strip the engine and continue the diagnosis but i think that they will do that work once they have replaced the engine now rather than keep me waiting longer. Not sure how much longer i have to wait but apparently engine has been ordered as a priority and should be with the dealer mid next week.

I'll keep you posted....

Best solution after a completely new car. Check any engine change is fully documented in the vehicles MB history-- engine number will be different for example which may entail a change in the vehicle V5

Comedy....

Guess what?
Yep, I am still without my car.....
However, they have had to replace my courtesy car as my initial one had reached 6 months old and 8k miles! (4.5 months and 6.5k miles being mine)
Now for sales at Coventry for 30k, list was 42k

Now have a C220 sport plus saloon with pan roof, they didn't have a estate to give me which I wasn't very happy about.

I would certainly be asking for a like for like replacement vehicle, say that you need an estate car for work (which is why you hired your original car) and tell them that the one they have provided is useless to you and if you need to rent a van to conduct your business, will they reimburse you for that expense?
Good luck with sorting this out, but I believe the time has long since come when you need to be leaning very hard on them.

Keith

Interesting thread. My partner had a new Peugeot 206cc a few years ago which the dealer failed to fix after numerous visits. That too had a tappetty rattling sound intermittently on acceleration. It was almost like it was a mixture issue as it sort of sounded like the engine was pinking under load. In the end they changed the cylinder head. Not great on a car with under 2K miles on it, but as we all know even brand new 'things' can be faulty. Could it be the head?

I feel your pain and sympathise with your plight.

I'm very pleased that you appear to have had such good service (in the circumstances) from MB Derby, since my new car is on order with them. In my experience it's almost unique to get anything other than a string of fob offs.

I'm not the least bit surprised that it has been going on for so long and there have been so many false dawns. I've had experience of similar things (although not so lengthy) with other German marques and recently with Volvo. At the basic level, technicians and service managers just don't like to admit that they are stumped.

It seems that if the scanner shows no codes, we're on a looser for starters, unless it is a very common, recognised fault. Next comes a technical referral back to manufacturer, who goes around in circles for a while, like a doctor trying to diagnose a disease remotely by telegram. All is directed to minimising the warranty cost for materials and labour they have to pay the dealer and everything is piecemeal. Eventually, when you should loudly and angrily enough, someone makes the decision to authorise a proper solution, which in your case is a new engine.

Good luck with the outcome!

It's been another month. Any update in the saga?

Yes, been meaning to update but been away for a while.

The car is home again!
New engine and running and looking as new, despite all the grief and time elapsed I am happy it is all resolved now.

Mercedes Benz also agreed to my compensation claim so I have £2370 winging its way to me :bannana::bannana:

Ha. So, you have clocked up a load of miles on their car instead of yours and they are paying compo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom