c250cdi straight pipe advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shelka

Car
Mercedes
Hi I have a c250cdi sports with manual gearbox. I was wondering if I took the back box off and replace it with straight pipe with tips how it will sound. Will it fail MOT and will I get cloud of black smoke coming from the exhaust.
Any advice will be appreciated thanks.

I heard a golf mk4 which had it done and sounded good but not sure on a diesel. I'm sure someone here will give you advice soon or later.

I'm really surprised no one on this site have any input.

I heard a golf mk4 which had it done and sounded good but not sure on a diesel. I'm sure someone here will give you advice soon or later.

I won't be holding my breath seems like no one on this site are into modifications.

If you had browsed the site a bit more you would have found that plenty are into modifications and that the discussions on them are on designated forum parts eg, Engine - which, if you had posted your question there, would stand a better chance of being answered. It is a mere 14 hours since you posted....Patience?

To offer an answer given the scant info provided - removing a silencer box will make the car noisier. Unless emissions kit is removed, no additional smoke should result.

How do I move it to correct section. will it sound better too a bit more deeper tone.

You want to make a diesel sound rougher? I don't get it....

my brother has a 330d, 6 cylinder diesel with straight pipes and sounds insane, sounds like a audi rs6 biturbo

back pressure is not much of a great deal on a turbo car, better flowing exhaust gasses help the turbo spool up better

It won't fail* the MOT provided it's secured properly or make it belch more smoke. It will make it louder although probably not in a nice way i.e. tiring when driving at constant speeds on motorways and annoying everyone else when driving around town

It's a small diesel, it's never gonna sound nice so why not have it sound as quiet and refined as possible? Loudish exhausts are nice with a cross plane V8 as they produce a nice deep burble. They can still get very tiresome hence both the aftermarket and OEMs often using valves so you can burble around quietly (and pass noise tests if an OEM) when you want and enjoy it when you stamp on the throttle or flick a switch. With the exception of weekend toys 4 pots should be seen and not heard for the most part, 6s are better with a quietish exhaust too IMO. Especially straight sixes as one of the appeals is their inherent smoothness and refinement along with a lovely howl when you open 'em up but it's as much about induction noise as exhaust.

* A really pedantic tester could fail it for being louder but as the wording in the manual is something along the lines of 'unreasonably louder than expected from a standard example' it'd be because they don't like you

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to have a meet with a custom exhaust company I know of on Friday so I'll keep you updated on what's happens. Straight pipe with choice of any tips only £120. Guy said if I'm not happy with it he can put my original back box on and modify the straight pipe to fit my mk1 tt I have free of charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom