C250d vs Audi S4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TripleD

Car
C300h loaner as my C250d broke after only 900 miles :(
Help me choose!

So after the issues with my car I have two options currently open to me:

1) A replacement quite nicely loaded (everything except air suspension) C250d Estate with a 3 year service plan. Money wise it'll have a £2k deposit on PCP paying £520 pcm.

2) An Audi S4 Avant with 4.5k worth of options with £2k deposit and £555 pcm.

Option 1 comes with the added benefit of Mercedes supplying a car until the new one is delivered. Current arrival estimates are Dec 2016/Jan 2017. The missus says this is the sensible choice, as the overall costs are lower.

Option 2 means the loan car from Mercedes will go and I'll have to buy a cheap interim car until the Audi Arrives. Current estimates of arrival are April 2017. This I think will have the grin factor.

I know this is a Mercedes forum, and the views maybe bias but which choice would you make and why?

The Audi, because it's not a diesel. I much prefer the look of the C-class but the engines are chalk and cheese. (They both suffer from the stuck on iPad thing though.)

S4 will drink twice as much fuel but, that engine will make you smile and you won't want a 4 cylinder diesel again.

Audi.

Better engine, better looks (imo) and awd. Plus you get to buy a cheap run around to play with in the interim, get a new plate (again) and it will be different and banish memories of the faulty one.

If fuel costs matter go 3.0Tdi 272 quattro, plenty fast enough and very refined.

The Mercedes all day long, Have you thought about a Skoda Vrs if your thinking the on Vw front? got to be cheaper than either?

I'm not an VW/Audi guy but that's a tough call.

If you're doing average or below miles go for the S4. It's cheaper for a reason (I'm guessing the equivalent C43 will be massively more expensive) but one hell of a car none the less.

It'll also make you realise MB reliability and aftercare isn't all that bad after all :)

The Mercedes all day long, Have you thought about a Skoda Vrs if your thinking the on Vw front? got to be cheaper than either?

Not really a Skoda fan, I have considered the vRS and the Golf R Estate.

There is/was good leasing deal on new S5. Maybe worth checking it out. Cheaper than the above cars.

Thanks but I need an Estate for carting the dog about in.

My head is saying the sensible option is the C class, and hope that I don't have the same issues. It is a nice car, and the interior is a nicer place to be than the Audi's IMO. But the S4 does scratch and itch for some speed and performance, but that would be only for a while with the potential to loose the license.
C43 would be a nice option, but seems as the deal they offered has been lets say changed, then it's now in the not affordable category.

Mileage wise at the moment the average is 10-12k per year, so either is viable.

S4

Looks good, goes well, and more than a little bit special :thumb:

If it was me, and I went for the C250, for as long as I had it I'd keep thinking "I should have..."

Sensible choice: C250. Better fuel economy. Lower RFL as you'll get it be April 2017.
Driver's choice: S4 especially when you show off the panoramic display of the Virtual Cockpit.

Could you get a C350e estate - lease may be more but if a company car, tax will be a massive saving. Acceleration is 5.9s so not too far adrift from the S4. Don't be fooled by the alleged 134 mpg - real world nearer 45mpg but not bad for a 5.9s car. Due to the weight of the batteries, air suspension is standard

Could you get a C350e estate - lease may be more but if a company car, tax will be a massive saving. Acceleration is 5.9s so not too far adrift from the S4. Don't be fooled by the alleged 134 mpg - real world nearer 45mpg but not bad for a 5.9s car. Due to the weight of the batteries, air suspension is standard

I could with less spec now they have released the AMG line version, but would mean sacrificing the driving assistance pack for it.

It would be the S4 for me. The 250 diesel is no comparison. The only problem for me being an Audi owner for 15 years is the reliability issues. My 20 year old Audi can, brilliant. My previous 59 plate 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant...utter s@@te.

I'm loving my E350, but the biggest thing it lacks is the V6 exhaust tone. When I put my foot down it gives me great satisfaction, but it's not 100% satisfaction. The petrol V6 in our convertible maybe no where near the performance of the Merc, but every time I put my foot down it brings a smile to my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom