C250d vs C300h

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TripleD

Car
C300h loaner as my C250d broke after only 900 miles :(
Due to some 'troubles' I'm now driving about in a C300h, so thought I'd give a little review.

I was sceptical about hybrid cars, the weight of batteries would far outweigh there benefits IMO. But I'm left pleasantly surprise.

The C250d doesn't hang about, but you can feel the extra oomph the electric motor provides in the C300h across the whole rev range, especially noticeable low down from standing. Does it make a difference? Bit early to tell the engines are the same, the 250 averaged 43mpg over 1100 miles, the 300h is 54 over 500 miles, so there is a fuel saving.
The battery/engine cutting in and out seems pretty seamless, but cutting the engine at 70mph does take a bit of getting use to.
It's a pity the electric motor can't cope nicely up to 30mph, you really have to feather the throttle and drive miss daisy to get to 25-30, usually end up getting bored and cutting in the engine.

The 300h does come with a game, it's the see how much charge you can get game! I've only managed to get it to 74% :thumb:

All in all having dismissed the hybrid models, I would consider one now having put some mileage on one. Would be interested in driving the 350e but as it doesn't come in AMG line it wouldn't make the cut for me personally.

Also the 300h has Audio 20 Rather than COMAND, and my god, it's slow!! You really do lose the will to live trying to enter an address. The menus are slow to react, the screen size is actually okay, I thought it would be too small, but it's quite good, just needs to be quicker!!

Could it be modified like Flango's VW do you think?

I think this technology makes a bit more sense than the 350e. Having a small battery pack to harvest on braking then add during the next acceleration or to coast at high speed makes a lot of sense in any car.

Nice review, thanks.

Had my c300h for 3 months now and absolutrly love it,very smooth and no cabin noise,haven't had less than 50 mpg over a tank in the 3,000 miles I've put on it yet and the shape of the w205 in Amg guise is stunning IMHO,car doesn't hang about when pushed either!

Had my c300h for 3 months now and absolutrly love it,very smooth and no cabin noise,haven't had less than 50 mpg over a tank in the 3,000 miles I've put on it yet and the shape of the w205 in Amg guise is stunning IMHO,car doesn't hang about when pushed either!

Indeed, the 0-60 times are 0.2 faster in the 300h compared to the 250d, but it does dropped cogs nicely, and really feels like it's pulling harder.

If the pricing on a C43 doesn't go well, I might look at swapping the 250d for a 300h instead.

Indeed, the 0-60 times are 0.2 faster in the 300h compared to the 250d, but it does dropped cogs nicely, and really feels like it's pulling harder.

If the pricing on a C43 doesn't go well, I might look at swapping the 250d for a 300h instead.

Add the fact the c300h is zero road fund licence it's was an easy decision for me and I came from an A45 amg.

Add the fact the c300h is zero road fund licence it's was an easy decision for me and I came from an A45 amg.

I would need the estate so would cost a whole £20 RFL :D

Still the C43 is too tempting over economy ATM

It does now. :thumb:

Wow!
That's an interesting update to the configurators!

The salesman when I brought my C250 kept mentioning a 9 speed auto, but it only had 7 gears except in the 4Matic version.
The addition of a C350e with AMG line is cool!

Wow!
That's an interesting update to the configurators!

The salesman when I brought my C250 kept mentioning a 9 speed auto, but it only had 7 gears except in the 4Matic version.
The addition of a C350e with AMG line is cool!

Now... As the C350e is available in a full AMG trim with Red leather.... Whos looking to trade in ???

iris

iris

iris

iris

Amg line interior is nicer than the sport. That flat bottomed steering wheel looks much nicer.

so what advantages does the 350e have over the 300h?
You can drive for up to 20 miles in electric only mode, but how long does it take to actually charge?
MPG figures for the 350e don't look as good as the 300h?

Yes. All the 350e threads here express huge disappointment in MPG. However the 0-60 of 5.9 and massive torque does seem to impress.

The 350e would really work for us because we only travel in and around an 8 mile radius daily so I'm guessing most of our driving would be on electric therefor very little petrol used.

Ant.

I'm not sure I have seen huge expressions of disappointment about the mpg on the C350e Owners Club thread. I'm certainly chuffed with mine.

However, as you point out, it really is important to decide if your typical usage would suit the car. It is ideal for someone who wants the performance and cleanliness of a petrol engine but does a lot of urban (i.e. slow) journeys. If you do 20,000 miles a year up and down the motorway, a turbodiesel would still make much more sense. A final factor if you are a company car driver is the low CO2 rating provides a favourable BIK.

A few stats on my usage - so far in 2,500 miles I have averaged 57 mpg and my engine has been off for more than half the time. To put in perspective my previous car was a BMW 320ed which could do mega mpg on the motorway, but on my usage it was returning around 47-48mpg. So now I have a car which is petrol, more tax efficient, comfortably faster and is around 10mpg more economical than one of the most efficient turbodiesels out there. BUT, on a long motorway journey the ED would have been much better economy wise, but those are not my typical journeys and that is the key to this whole hybrid thing.

I think a bigger question is how much more use is a 300h over a 250d? Does all the extra weight and complexity give any meaningful benefit over a straight forward turbodiesel?

Apart from my initial issues... I love my C300 it has all the toys including command, the AMG Line Premium Plus is the one to have :thumb:

I think a bigger question is how much more use is a 300h over a 250d? Does all the extra weight and complexity give any meaningful benefit over a straight forward turbodiesel?

Well, I hate to say it, but yes!

Reduced road tax
Better MPG
More power/pull

But is the 300h worth a £2600 premium over the 250d? Suppose that comes down to residuals, how much mileage you cover, and how long you intend keeping the car for.

If I was to replace my broken 250d with another diesel and had the choice between another and a 300h I would personally take the 300h.
As it sits at the moment, the broken 250d might get replaced with a C43.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom