C250TD Elegance Estate 1998/R

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hear! hear! :D :D

jimmy said:
But as Graham has always said "buy the bigger powered car in the first place" I agree 100%. I dont want to be messing about with chips and bits again.

I would say that the only thing you may find with the 2.8 is there is not enough power there.
My 2.0tdi A3 felt quicker than the 3.0L cab, it isn't and 0-60 is about 2 seconds faster, and 50-80 is instant, but you loose that tourque.
The 4.2 V8 is a beast, if you can find one then go for it, superb engine.

The V6 diesel is alot nicer than the 1.9tdi, and if you get it chipped to 210bhp then it will be very impressive, far, far better than a 2.8 petrol.

So what is wrong with the 2.7T?

Now I had set my sights on an A6 Avant but from what I hear and read the A4 is the better car, the A6 is regarded as not so nice/enjoyable to drive. I am a bit worried about FWD compared to having a RWD that's why the quattro was a nice option. Also, what we take for pretty much standard on the MB's, cruise, auto, 4 x electric windows, split fold seats, leather etc is a rare spec on Audi's.

So what about a 1.8T, 150bhp, possibly a bit underpowered? I should find an Audi forum really,I have asked some questions on Tyresmoke but they are not that helpful over there.

The 2.7 twin turbo I am referring to is as fitted to the old shape Audi S4's. In general servicing costs seem3ed to be high, turbo failure is not unheard of and mileages over 100K need expensive maintenance from what I recall.

With the A4 1.8T and standard 6 cylinder engines not cutting it, and the S4 discarded, for my budget I started looking at A6's. With the A6, you have a choice of 3.0, 2.7T and 4.2 petrol engines. I am not sure if the 2.7 is the twin turbo or not, I think it might be.

The 3.0 performance figures look acceptable, but when you see the spec on a typical A6 4.2 Quattro I am sure you will be hooked. They also look very sedate externally.

Have you taken an Audi out yet?
You may be very surprised at the handling, it is not too hot!
How they have managed to get the ride so wallowy and yet so hard is amazing, they don't handle brilliantly round the corners and still pick up every pothole as if it were a crater.
Don't get me wrong I love Audis and I am on my 5th in 7 years, but it is something worth mentioning. If you go A6 make sure it is a sport, or leave £500 to change the suspension set up. Oh and the other thing with the sport is the seats, they are superb, so much adjustment you can get them perfect.

The interior of Audi is second to non, a really nice place to be, everything from the lighting at night to the feel of the materials used is amazing, and makes the '05 S320cdi my dad owns feel a little bland, and the '03 E270cdi he had is still not as nice although better than the S.
I guess it is all comes down to compromise, and to be honest I would not say no to any Merc, BMW or Audi they are all good cars.

Here is an interior pic of my current A4, feels quite young, nice and fresh.

cabint1.jpg

And here is a pic of the '02 2.5tdi avant I had.

front.jpg

Last one, promise! ;)
Interior at night.

a3night.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks gIzzE, that is most helpful. I am aware that the handling of the A6 is not that 'sporty' although the one I drove felt nice and comfortable which is what I want really, a nice cruiser rather than a sports car.

I guess I am leaning towards the A4 as it is seen as a young persons car like the C-class where the A6 is an old mans car like the E-class. (ouch!!)

Definitely take one out on some back roads and see what you think of the handling, it is my only gripe with Audis, I don't expect a really sporty ride, but when they are so hard you would expect some sort of handling with it.
What I am trying to say is if you are going with an Audi then you may as well find a sport as the SE is no more comfortable and the handling is worse too.

Audi have just recently had a couple of days in the UK on our roads with half a dozen of their cars and half a dozen competitors cars to try and get it right, they no at the momenty it isn't.

If you can find a 4.2 A6 Quattro Avant and live with the 14-19mpg it is a great car, I would love one, or even see what sort of price you can find an S6 Avant for?

My 2.8 A6 (1998) is quite quick enough !!! (when compared to my previous Superchipped Merc 250TD).

Ride not so good, but feels like it will never lose grip.

Jimmy - I might be up your was in the next few weeks, so if you want to go for a run you're welcome (bend it and pay for it though !!!)

PJH said:
OUCH ? was that Brian thumping you ?

Yes, but he had to get his son to do it :D

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

The sale has just fallen through. :devil:

I thought it was too good to be true, forecourt price for a private sale and all that. I was convinced it was one of you lot winding me up but I thought, no they wouldnt do that to me. :confused:

The buyer came up with some right story, very hard to believe, why didnt he just say "no changed my mind" instead of the bullssshhh

That has really bu@@ered up my plans, I cant afford to change it at trade prices, looks like I will be getting a large pot of Kurust and Hammerite then!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mate, I am gutted with you.

I know those trade-in prices hurt. Stick with it - it's not like you use it much and it is a lovelly car.

Just keep turning up the boost until you have 190BHP :D

Really, really sorry to hear that Jimmy - I went through the same problem whilst I was selling my Lexus last year :(

Did the buyer give you any kind of a deposit?

In the end I was about £300 out of pocket, but I did find a genuine buyer the second time around. Stick with it mate, someone really wants your car for a decent price - it's just a case of finding them. Repeat the eBay advert, you are bound to get lots of people looking for cars over the bank holiday period. ;)

Best of luck mate.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom