c250td mysterious oil leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c250Sam

Car
c250 TD
Hi

i hope someone can solve my problems

basically after i have been for a drive (anything over 50 miles) there is oil on the drivers side edge of the bonnet and on the slam panel just above the headlight

ive taken the car to my local garage who tells me the turbo seals are leaking and i need to replace the turbo as its a sealed unit, is this true?

any help much appreciated

Try getting quotes from 2-3 other MB dealers. See if their diagnosis compares. That's what I would do.

Suggest that you include your location on your Avatar. Maybe a local Tech is close to you ?

Last edited:
Cheers

im going to do what you suggested on friday and go around a few local garages to see what they come up with

Hi Sam,

I'm having a similar oil leak from my C250TD. Did you manage to find out what the problem was with your car? Was it the turbo seals and did you have to replace or recondition the turbo and how much did it cost to fix? My car is now using 1.5 litres of oil every 300 miles so I'd greatly appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks,

Dylan

If the turbo bearings were leaking to that extent you would have a significant cloud of smoke following you and a very real risk of engine runaway.

I can't see the turbo throwing oil back up the intake and through the filter.

Much more likely is a leak in the pressurised intake trunking or intercooler allowing air and oil mist to escape.

For the engine to use 1 litre in 300 miles there must be a significant leak or burn off. Pull the breather off and look for smoke emissions from it.

If the turbo bearings were leaking to that extent you would have a significant cloud of smoke following you and a very real risk of engine runaway.

Much more likely is a leak in the pressurised intake trunking or intercooler allowing air and oil mist to escape.

For the engine to use 1 litre in 300 miles there must be a significant leak or burn off. Pull the breather off and look for smoke emissions from it.

Porous intercooler blasting out oil?

index.cfm

Thanks to Dieselman and Nick for both your responses. I didn't think it was a problem with the turbo as there is no excessive smoke as you say. I've had both the main engine rocker gasket and the exhaust manifold seals replaced. The only area that I can see a small oil leak is directly on top of the turbo
index.cfm
and an area on top of the main lower coolant large rubber pipe returning to the bottom of the radiator. The car has only done 70,000 miles in total and the valve stem seals seem fine if this is of help.

Is the oil feed to the turbo solid, or is the oil leak comming from a poor seal there?

The oil feed seemed solid when I went to tighten it. I wasn't sure if it was the seal so I was using an engine stop oil leak additive which didn't really do anything to help the problem.

See picture at:

MySpace UK

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to all who posted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom