C250TD no power, no kick down, cant feel turbo spooling up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ali.shaikh22

Car
C250 TD
Hello

I have a wonderful C250 TD that has been very reliable however last night on the motorway after about 150 miles of driving it felt like there was no power, or at least no assisted power from the turbo.

I could rev it up to around 1800-2000 mark and usually you can feel the car with a boost of power but last night and even today, nothing. I tried kick-down last night and sometimes the revs would jump to around 4000 mark but no real power and at times they wouldn't even go up as though the switch under the pedal was just not working. But you could feel it clicking.

Ive also been getting really bad MPG.

The car will rev up and i will get speed but it feels like its the engine doing all the work

Ive been reading up on the forum for similar issues and what ive found so far is that it could be the MAP sensor or the wastegate actuator on the turbo?

There are also suggestions that this would cause the car to go into Limp mode.

Also note, my glow plug light stays on for about a minute on initial start-up but then does go away and does not come back on

I intend to open the car up myself but can someone please confirm if I am on the right tracks, also, where are the MAP sensor and the turbo waste-gate located and does anybody have any replacement tips? write-ups?

Once I do open it up I want to clean the EGR valve and the rubber pipes, any suggestions on how to clean it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

In addition to the issue, I also found that the oil has gone down a little bit, the car usually drinks hardly any oil. I dont get any black smoke when under pressure. Its not smoking at all

The glow plugs look easy enough to replace, ive heard of them getting stuck, could the glow plugs be causing this issue? i thought the plugs were only used during startup and then not used unlike spark plugs which are used all the time. If I do have everything open I shall do the plugs too. I Think Euro car parts tend to have offers on them

The glow plugs are not the issue.

Ive read about the MAP sensory becoming dirty could it be that I could just clean it?

Any tips on where to find it and how to clean to test any differences?

Hello, just been for a drive and it sounds like the turbo is spooling up but not enough power is coming through. With the window down you can hear like a muted rushing of air somewhere. could it be the turbo wastegate? any help would be much appreciated

Sounds like you might have a loose intercooler pipe. Also glow plugs I got from ecp . Just changed mine and they just slid out. The last time they were changed I put a smear of grease on each one to stop them jamming in. New glow plugs stopped my glow plug light from staying on. Easy fix. It's worth taking off the inlet manifold to gain easier access and it also gives you a chance to change the O rings on the inlet manifold too.. :)

Hello

I have a wonderful C250 TD that has been very reliable however last night on the motorway after about 150 miles of driving it felt like there was no power, or at least no assisted power from the turbo.

I could rev it up to around 1800-2000 mark and usually you can feel the car with a boost of power but last night and even today, nothing. I tried kick-down last night and sometimes the revs would jump to around 4000 mark but no real power and at times they wouldn't even go up as though the switch under the pedal was just not working. But you could feel it clicking.

Ive also been getting really bad MPG.

The car will rev up and i will get speed but it feels like its the engine doing all the work

Ive been reading up on the forum for similar issues and what ive found so far is that it could be the MAP sensor or the wastegate actuator on the turbo?

There are also suggestions that this would cause the car to go into Limp mode.

Also note, my glow plug light stays on for about a minute on initial start-up but then does go away and does not come back on

I intend to open the car up myself but can someone please confirm if I am on the right tracks, also, where are the MAP sensor and the turbo waste-gate located and does anybody have any replacement tips? write-ups?

Once I do open it up I want to clean the EGR valve and the rubber pipes, any suggestions on how to clean it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sticky top of the forum.............

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/144927-lack-power-cdi-what-do.html

further investigation

Hello

So I've checked all the pipes at the top and they all seem to be connected without any gaps.

I've followed the long intercooler pipe all the down to near the bottom of the front bumper and found the pipe to be look a bit wet but i dont know if this is the cause of my problem.

I understand if the rubber pipes have oil dripping on them and the constant heating and cooling will affect the sealing.

Anyways ive attached the pics and ive also posted a vid on youtube which can be found here:

Mercedes c250td idle - YouTube

Attached are pictures of the pipe which I've mentioned.

Also shown direction of the pipe I am looking at.

Looking at the picture, is the pipe at bottom attached to another pipe with the curve?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Check your exhaust is not blocked.

Unbolt from behind the turbo and see if full power is restored.

Hello Thank you all for your responses. I followed all my pipes and found that the hose pipe which connects to the intercooler had come away from the intercooler a little bit and so I was seeing oil dripping on the plastic below. I imagine, there isn't meant to be any oil in this pipe, so I popped off all the air pipes and gave them all a good clean and tightened up all the pipes. There was a lot of oil and dirt in all the pipes. Does this suggest I have leaks in other places? Or does this mean my EGR is not working as it should? although the power has been restored, it still doesnt feel 100% and the MPG still feels low. Could the fact that the glow plug light stay on a bit longer cause the engine to still stay in "limp mode"? however the kickdown does work now.

Thank you all for your help.

Hello Thank you all for your responses. I followed all my pipes and found that the hose pipe which connects to the intercooler had come away from the intercooler a little bit and so I was seeing oil dripping on the plastic below. I imagine, there isn't meant to be any oil in this pipe, so I popped off all the air pipes and gave them all a good clean and tightened up all the pipes. There was a lot of oil and dirt in all the pipes. Does this suggest I have leaks in other places? Or does this mean my EGR is not working as it should? although the power has been restored, it still doesnt feel 100% and the MPG still feels low. Could the fact that the glow plug light stay on a bit longer cause the engine to still stay in "limp mode"? however the kickdown does work now.

Thank you all for your help.

Can't answer all your questions but can tell you that the glow plug system will not put the car into limp mode.

The gritty oily goo in the air pipework is CAUSED by the egr system, recirculating exhaust gas / carbon / evil into the inlet manifold. dissable it for better engine life and performance, there are many tutorials. It is an emissions device which is not an MOT requirement (pre-00 IIRC).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom