C270 CDI - loss of power - tried the usual suspects - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgurk

Car
2002 C270 CDI Estate Auto
Hello. My much-beloved C270 CDI (S203, estate, 2002 plate) has yet again lost power - classic limp symptoms: won't rev over 2000ish, gets to 80 on the motorway but very slowly, goes up hills slower than a 40 ton truck, etc. This sometimes happens on start, sometimes after anything between 5 and 20 minutes' driving. Before it loses power, it goes great - just like it used to.

This has happened before but replacing the MAF sorted it. This time, my trusty independent dealer has smoked the system, re-attached a loose turbo hose, and changed the MAF - all to no avail. They have read the codes and can see nothing wrong.

I have it booked in to an MB main stealer^X^X^X^X^X^X dealer next week for diagnostics. I've read the other posts about STAR diagnostics, etc. - any ideas where I/they should start looking? Do MB dealers run STAR as a matter of course?

Choked catalytic converter, faulty turbo, cracked intercooler, collapsing turbo hoses- or anything making it go into limp home mode---- the fault codes may well pinpoint it.

Hi

Most main dealers will run a star test as a matter of course as it can tell you so much. Also they can have a look at the actual values of the engine and see exactly what its doing or not doing. When it goes into limp mood do you get any noises from the engine at all i.e a whooshing noise which could relate to the cat.

I would see if you can find an independant with there own star machine as the costs are half the price

For those who might be interested, M-B of Swindon diagnosed it pretty quickly. The inlet manifold is knackered - specifically, they tell me that it's stuck shut (although I don't understand why the engine doesn't choke and die immediately if that's the case) and that the inlet port linkage is seized and broken. There's obviously enough air getting through somehow (has anyone got a picture or schematic of one of these - I'm not that mechanically minded and am trying to visualise the problem) to run the car OK for a while, but clearly the ECU is deciding after a bit that there's not enough air and sticking the car in "limp". It also explains the huge clouds of black smoke when I stick my foot to the floor.

Have asked my preferred non-MB garage for a quote - MB wanted £1100 (!!!) supply & fit. Anyone in the SN, GL or OX postcode areas readers would recommend?

Last edited:
Why not give Ollie a call at PCS - only an hour or so away from Swindon - well worth the trip. Known on here as BlackC55

hi similar problem any help

i had a B service done as a week before the car would turn but not fire, it happened twice AA was called put easty start and it would fire.

put on a universal computer all faults cleared it happened again

the car would start if it was cold in teh morning, went to an independent garage had teh crank shaft and cam shaft sensor changed.

all good next day same problem
ut on a star computer rail pressure was aonly 80 when it should be 125 , diagnosed said two injectors gone out had one replaced as teh other one would not come out started fine but lost full power while driving back EPC visit workshop came on

any ideas have to have the second one injector replaced today or tommorow they ar ebosch 0445100121 part do they need to be programmed.

I have never had a loss of power before could it be due to the new injector fitted and teh other one not being changed.

any help would be much appreciated
my car c270cdi 155000 miles B service had all filters changed had a new fuel pump put in jan 2009

thanks
Hello. My much-beloved C270 CDI (S203, estate, 2002 plate) has yet again lost power - classic limp symptoms: won't rev over 2000ish, gets to 80 on the motorway but very slowly, goes up hills slower than a 40 ton truck, etc. This sometimes happens on start, sometimes after anything between 5 and 20 minutes' driving. Before it loses power, it goes great - just like it used to.

This has happened before but replacing the MAF sorted it. This time, my trusty independent dealer has smoked the system, re-attached a loose turbo hose, and changed the MAF - all to no avail. They have read the codes and can see nothing wrong.

I have it booked in to an MB main stealer^X^X^X^X^X^X dealer next week for diagnostics. I've read the other posts about STAR diagnostics, etc. - any ideas where I/they should start looking? Do MB dealers run STAR as a matter of course?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom