C270 Cdi purchasing worries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

j033y

Car
A4 Quattro S Line
Hi all.

Hopefully I am going to look at a 2001 C270 CDi on ebay. does anyone know it, the dark blue saloon one in Heswall at £2695 or best offer.

Anyway, I will of course do the usual "does everything work check"

But I've never owned an auto, and am concerned about the "valeo" issue. I know what too look for (wavy crimps on better raad) but what happens if it has Valeo rad on it, should that make me walk away.

Any other help/advice on the car? I can't post link to ebay as am at work. But if you can look at listing that would be grand

Looks ok in the pictures but not much detail in the ad. Electrics were very fragile on early 203s so ensure everything works perfectly especially alarm, locking system. Dead pixels can occur in the display. The engine is pretty reliable but I think there was an issue with injectors or seals failing - not quite sure on this.

Forgot to mention rusty wheel arches. This was pre galvanisation days so rust can be an issue

Not just wheel arches (particularly rear), check also door bottoms for signs of bubbling, MB will not contribute to repair. Floor the throttle to check kickdown works and engine will rev over 3k RPM - if not, MAF is shot. Check that engine temp (available on screen through the steering wheel buttons) gets up to 80+C fairly quickly - if it only gets to 60, thermostat is shot and heater will be useless (and mpg will suffer!).

Guess who's had all of the above on his 2001 C270! Despite that, we love the car and would only contemplate changing it for an S204 when they become affordable!

Cheers guys, good to hear. Yes the add doesnt say much. But thought it would be worth a look.

Ideally I wanted an estate, but they seem to fetch more money, even in C220 guise. I hear it's worth having a 270 over a 220.

So is the Valeo anything to worry about? Do they all go at somepoint!

Thanks again.

I wouldn't worry about the Valeo. I test drove a few before buying mine, 2 of them definitely had duff MAF sensors and all but the one I bought were either very rusty or badly resprayed.

Would definitely stick with the 270. It's never going to be a performance car but it is reassuringly powerful when the load pedal is pressed :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom