C270 cdi turbo blown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickycase

Car
c270 cdi
Hi all
worryingly it looks and sounds like my c270 may have blown the turbo on my way home today. just wondered if anyone had replaced a turbo on a c270 cdi and what the costs were? im going to strip it out over the weekend and have a good look at any damage that its caused. currently when running its chucking plumes of white/blue smoke out the back.

any comments or advice welcome......

It's more likely to be in an injector that's gone; the turbos on the 270 CDi (and Mercedes in general) are known for being bullet-proof.

Thanks for the reply SPX

I had a very short wineing noise followed by a metallic grating sound if the car was rev'd over 1700rpm. limped home and noticed the cloud of smoke following me

Check for any pipes off first. I don't know this car/model but turbo pipes blowing off (no pun intended) can cause the symptoms you describe.

Pull the feed pipe off, 2 hose clips, one plug and a breather pipe, check for play in the main shaft on the turbo, should only take 10 minutes.

Turbo failure is not uncommon.

Pulled it apart today and think it's fair to say it's defiantly turbo failure. The centre spindle is exreamly sloppy (10-15mm of play)! Would of thought I would have had more warning of it going?
Now looking into a new turbo core and rebuild, if it's possible.

a111r no 10-15mm of play , the centre bearing has started to disintegrate. One of my colleagues commented on how he'd never seen one that bad that was still running. Thankfully I'm a mech engineer who works for a large pharma company who has a large/well equipped workshop at are disposal and work with a load of petrol heads.

replacment turbo arrived today!!
Can anyone advise me on torque settings for the above please???

Before you put it back together you might want to check some other things too. When my turbo went, my car was still under warranty. Mercedes had to replace the intercooler, all the intercooler hoses & the cats as they were all full of oil.

Russ

just thought I would put a quick update on.....
replacement turbo arrived and is now fitted, happy to say its running quite well!!

before changing the oil after the turbo replacement I noted that the car was telling me it required 2 litres of engine oil to fill to max. thus I had 2 litres of oil between the turbo and the tail pipe. I can confirm that 2 litres of oil make one hell of a lot of smoke.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom