c270 cdi upgrade questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dubburke

Car
mercedes c220cdi auto
Anyone any links for an upgraded intercooler kit for a c270 cdi?
Do the 320 cdi injectors flow more than the 270 cdi ones, or best option for upgraded injectors AMG C30 ones are just mad money.
Going to use a Gt2359v from the 320 cdi, can i just swap out the internals for an AMG one?
400 cdi pump is it a straight swap for the 270 cdi?
Any help would be appreciated.

The answer might depend on how much time and money you want to throw at it. - I'd guess it's easy enough to find a generic upgrade intercooler, but it might be a bit of a faff to install it neatly.

Similarly; I'd guess that the injectors are the same, but simply have a higher duty cycle on the "bigger" engine. - I don't know about the C30; they didn't sell many of those did they?

Can you just crank the boost up on the turbocharger you've already got to save the time and effort of swapping it? I'd probably just switch the entire unit rather than swapping the internals; assuming it's the same mounting it should be relatively easy.

Don't forget that you'll need to remap to take advantage of the changes; it may not even run until you've done that anyway.

i have a remap with egr delete, looking a lot more power, happy with the car i have, bought with 68k, wanting bigger turbo, injectors, pump, intercooler, just looking the cheaper option from the Mercedes parts bin from other models.
C30 injectors are really expensive, hence wondering if the 320 injectors flowed more

Do you know where you are against the capacity of the injectors you've got? Maybe you've still got some overhead.

I would have thought the cheapest option is VAG parts; every other Golf (plus other that share the platform) seem to be modified with some kind of over-sized intercooler and an atmospheric dump valve, so parts must be cheap and available.

As PobodY says, without seeing the current injectors duty cycle it's pointless to think about upgrading them. You need a tune for new injectors too - it's not as simple as just swapping them out. They will flow more during the same opening times as your original injectors so all fuel tables have to be changed accordingly. The easiest way to find out the answers to your questions is to get yourself a copy of Mercedes EPC or become a member of official MB club and get access to it online and compare the part numbers between various models.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of power are you looking to achieve when you say 'a lot more'?

I would like in the region of 300 bhp, intercooler first, then turbo, injectors will be the issue I think, AMG ones are just so expensive, and swapping out the nozzles is no good, as there is also stuff to do to the body of the injector

As PobodY says, without seeing the current injectors duty cycle it's pointless to think about upgrading them. You need a tune for new injectors too - it's not as simple as just swapping them out. They will flow more during the same opening times as your original injectors so all fuel tables have to be changed accordingly. The easiest way to find out the answers to your questions is to get yourself a copy of Mercedes EPC or become a member of official MB club and get access to it online and compare the part numbers between various models.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of power are you looking to achieve when you say 'a lot more'?
I would like to get around 300 bhp, but tuning parts off the shelf such as intercooler kits and injectors are not available, the turbo I can get off the 320 CDI and then it can be rebuilt using AMG internals, the fuel pump I can get off the 400cdi

Why not just find an intercooler that fits where you want it, then plumb it in with a custom pipe run?

Same thing with the turbo; why not just fit the AMG turbo rather than rebuilding it? If you're going to rebuild it, why stop at AMG internals instead of something like a GTX series?

Please don't think we're trying to be negative; all I'm saying is that you don't need to limit yourself to parts Mercedes used a decade ago.

2359v is a good upgrade, even better with upgraded wheel.

400cdi pump isn't a straight swap and probably not necessary for your aim.

320 injectors are the same, just need to upgrade existing injectors tips as c30 spec.

Inter cooler would need to be changed for larger cooler.

320 injectors are the same, just need to upgrade existing injectors tips as c30 spec.

If they are the same, is there a need to upgrade them? The spray pattern doesn’t change the flow. Genuine question.

C30 tips have 7holes as far as I remember. All of these mods including rail pressure require a good tuner who's familiar with Cdi tuning.

A 2359 and upgraded cooler would be my next step, plus checking all sensors and pipe work are sound (MAF etc).

Why not just find an intercooler that fits where you want it, then plumb it in with a custom pipe run?

Same thing with the turbo; why not just fit the AMG turbo rather than rebuilding it? If you're going to rebuild it, why stop at AMG internals instead of something like a GTX series?

Please don't think we're trying to be negative; all I'm saying is that you don't need to limit yourself to parts Mercedes used a decade ago.
The AMG C30 are a rare beast, and they use the 2359 turbo from the 320cdi with 57mm compressor

Wish it was as simple as changing the nozzles for AMG spec

Was the car on a dyno after the remap?

The AMG C30 are a rare beast, and they use the 2359 turbo from the 320cdi with 57mm compressor
So why not take the opportunity to skip the OEM GT2359 and upgrade to something like a GTX2967 which has a 67mm compressor, but is listed as being suitable for a 3L engine. - If you've got a T25 inlet and 5-bolt outlet, it should be bolt-on.

The GTX turbos are quite impressive.

2359v is a straight swap keeping the 3 bolt flange, anything else will need an adapter. It can be very impressive when mapped correctly. All depends on what you are prepared to spend.

Was the car on a dyno after the remap?
no, it wasn't it was a generic map, quoted 210bhp, just as a matter of interest, if i were to change the turbo to the 2359, would there be more air running the same boost than the smaller turbo due to the larger compressor?

2359v is a straight swap keeping the 3 bolt flange, anything else will need an adapter. It can be very impressive when mapped correctly. All depends on what you are prepared to spend.
Fair enough. - What other turbos use the 3 bolt flange, or are you snookered because there's nothing else really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom