C270 estate washers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marquisofraspberry

Car
C270 cdi Estate 2002, C220 cdi Estate 2004
My new to me 2002 C270 estate has headlight washers and as it's an estate rear washer, neither of these are working. Am I correct in thinking all three washer pumps are the same? For diagnosis can I swap the working pump/connector with a non working one to see where the issue lies. I strongly suspect I have two bad pumps.

Headlamp washers uses a separate pump to the windscreen and rear window which share a pump.
I presume your windscreen washers work? Rear screen washer failure is commonly a broken pipe in the hinge area of the tailgate.

Front screen washers are fine. I assumed there were three separate pumps as I hear no sound when the rear or headlight washers are run.

I would check the stalk then, perhaps a faulty contact.

The rear washer is a switch on the dash as are the headlight washers.

My experience is with the face-lifted version (2005) so apologies if my info is inaccurate.
On my C270 estate the front and rear windscreens were feed by one pump, with a combination stalk on the steering column.
When I retro-fitted headlamp washers a second pump was added. There was a separate switch also.

The fault with the rear washer is likely to be a broken pipe where it connects to the rear wiper motor. It's a common failure (the jet pipe sticks to the inside of the spindle and the flexing caused by the wiper eventually snaps it). Each time you operate the rear wash, it squirts fluid into the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom