C270cdi alternator pulley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mornin clatter

Car
mercedes c270 cdi elegance auto
Hi, i have recently noticed a 'new' noise coming from the engine :) . It sounded like the air filter box or the engine cover beeing loose and vibrating. After i realised that the noise is not related to the plastics, i could see the belt flapping and the tensioner moving. My first instict was that the tensioner is on it's way, but after reading some stories on the forum, i realised, that like many before me i was wrong, and it's the alternator pulley with it's freewheeling system that's responsible.
I have read about ml270 owners that have replaced the pulley without removing the alternator, but would that be possible on c270 cdi, considering the tighter space?
I have called a few garages, but they all want to take the alternator out, and i just want to hear from you guys , if there is any way of avoiding that, as i would rather buy the tools and do the work myself. But if it's a alternator out job, i think that is a bit over my capabilities , and i would have to take it to a garage. Thank you, and all the best.

After checking on ebay, i have seen that the tools are separated in to 2 main categories, the ones that have just the 33 teeth spline and the ones that have the spline on the longer bolt, that is used to lock the alternator shaft in place (i think) in order to tighten the pulley. Thanks Auto-mobile for your reply, could you let me know if you used any of these two? I am worried that even with the radiator fan off, there won't be enough room to use the
tool in the first picture. Is there any way of tightening the pulley by using just the tool in the second picture? Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Attachments

• $_3 (1).JPG
    $_3 (1).JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
  • $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 1
Yes that's the tool you need, you should have enough room with the fan out, I use a spanner to lock the outer tool against the subframe and a breaker bar to crack of the alternator shaft if that makes sense?

From memory pretty much most of the 270cdi engine I have changed are ml's so more room, Im Sure I have done clk' sand c's to!

Thank you for the reply, also i wanted to ask ,as i don't own a torx bit set, if this could be a good oportunity to get a set and the 33 teeth tool, instead of the combined tool. The difference that i have seen in the diescription is that the special combined tool has the torx length at 100mm and the torx in the set have 75mm. Should that difference make them useless in this situation?

Attachments

• $_3 (2).JPG
    $_3 (2).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
  • $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom