C270CDi Classic Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Seen one of these on the dealers front at £3995 with 85K

Kinda curious if that is a good price?

What are the classic (see what I did there!! :cool:) problems to look for on this? Engines pretty bulletproof?

Ta

Last edited:
Weather or not it is a good price depends on what year it is.

Ideally you want post 2004 as they started galvanising from mid 2003.

They are good cars the 203. The 270 cdi is a good motor, just look out for rust, front suspension squeaks, injector blow by and inlet manifold issues.

The classic is the base model.

I would think being a classic...

It will look pretty basic and be pretty basic inside..

I would think the engine is very good and good for big miles. Just not sure I would want to do big miles in that trim level.

(black door handles, huncaps, cloth...etc etc)

I would think being a classic...

It will look pretty basic and be pretty basic inside..

I would think the engine is very good and good for big miles. Just not sure I would want to do big miles in that trim level.

(black door handles, huncaps, cloth...etc etc)

Colour coded door handles, 16" alloys, cloth, climate. Bought one a year ago 75000 miles paid five grand for it. 54 plate.

As long as your happy and the OP Is thats good.

for me given the price difference I would go for the Avant guard.

Engine though the C270cdi given the C320cdi probably quite a lot more? is probably the pick of the range?

Weather or not it is a good price depends on what year it is.

Ideally you want post 2004 as they started galvanising from mid 2003.

They are good cars the 203. The 270 cdi is a good motor, just look out for rust, front suspension squeaks, injector blow by and inlet manifold issues.

The classic is the base model.

Knew I'd forgotten something! June, 2002

Is this the car Gollom? If it is it looks clean and tidy but no mention of service history.
Being a newbie to the MB make, I have no idea regarding price or build quality.

2002 Mercedes-Benz C Class C270 CDI CLASSIC 5DR AUTO 2.7

One thing to be aware of is the description/equipment/trim level. Dealers who use autotrader use the standard autotrader details for each model, instead of entering it themselves. i.e. not all of the equipment listed may be fitted. I found this out when looking for my first Merc and questioned the dealers about it. 'Oh it's the pre-written spec from autotrader that we use'. Wrong to my mind and a possible trade description breach.
Any how forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited:
Is this the car Gollom? If it is it looks clean and tidy but no mention of service history.
Being a newbie to the MB make, I have no idea regarding price or build quality.

2002 Mercedes-Benz C Class C270 CDI CLASSIC 5DR AUTO 2.7

One thing to be aware of is the description/equipment/trim level. Dealers who use autotrader use the standard autotrader details for each model, instead of entering it themselves. i.e. not all of the equipment listed may be fitted. I found this out when looking for my first Merc and questioned the dealers about it. 'Oh it's the pre-written spec from autotrader that we use'. Wrong to my mind and a possible trade description breach.
Any how forewarned is forearmed.

Yup, that is the one. Dsecription is a bit well specced for a Classic so Caveat Emptor!

Not sure that's a Classic - I had a 2001 (July) C270 estate Elegance (next trim level up from Classic). My interior was cloth, that looks like leather or fake leather. Also I had standard 7 spoke alloys, those 5 spoke don't look standard for a Classic to me, look more "upmarket" - like the winter rims I bought last November.

On the test drive, floor it to make sure it revs above 3k and that kickdown works - if not, MAF needs changing. Check bottom of doors and wheel arches for rust / paint bubbling. Check engine temperature (via the dashboard menu system) gets to above 80C fairly quickly - thermostats are prone to failure and mean heating is useless - and mpg is about 5 below what it is with a proper working stat! Listen for creaks and knocks from the front suspension over potholes - rose joints and bushes in front suspension go. Check service history to see if ATF and filter have been changed - they'll tell you it's sealed for life, but they benefit from the change, especially if the gear change is a bit jerky.

Price - I traded my 75k miler in March, only got 2650 for it, so 4k sounds a bit rich to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom