C270cdi engine warm up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davynick

Car
C270CDI AUTO AVANTGARDE
Can anyone advise how long it should take my merc to warm up

I reckon it takes 15 minutes or 5/6 miles to get to running temp

My brothers old 202 2.5 diesel takes about a mile and I have noticed that our fleet of work 2.5 diesel transits are much the same if not quicker

Maybe need to fit a DEFA block/water heater, we use these in my company
on marine vessel generators and they work well

Mine takes about 5 miles but before I changed the thermostat it took ages and then never got above 60. It now sits at 90. The stats are a noted problem

Definitely check your thermostat although my 211 takes much longer to warm up now the weather is getting colder. 5/10 mins for these cars isn't unusual

I think i read on here diesels take longer to warm up than petrol, my e320 cdi takes about 5 minutes to get up to 90deg

They sure do - engine blocks and heads are made thicker to withstand the higher compressions of the diesel and therefore take longer to warm up.

My partners 1.4 (petrol) Ford Fusion can be up to temp by the end of the road sometimes!

Its because the condition and ways that diesel burns inside our enigne. Diesel doesnt waste so much energy by spreading it on a wall of engine and burns more direct. This is the reason why petrol engines warm up car quicker in a winter time then diesel cars. 5-10 min or a little longer for big diesel engine is nothing abnormal. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom