C270CDi Hot Start Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cidersurfer

Hello all
The car (W203 C270 CDI) has let me down twice in the last fortnight when it has failed to start after stopping for fuel on a long journey. It will turn over but not fire. It has restarted both times after cooling. The last time it took an hour though, so I need to get it sorted. The problem only seems to occur when it's had a chance to get plenty of heat into it. Short journeys aren't a problem.
Could this be the Crankshaft Position Sensor failure I've read about on here or has anyone got any other ideas? Everything else is fine once it's running.
Thanks in advance

I think you are correct to suspect the CPS. Just change it for peace of mind.

I've checked the 'russian website' for part numbers but there seems to be two CPS available;
A0031532728
A0031532828
Can anyone shed any light for me? It's a 2002 W203 C270 CDI Saloon. Both sensors are available from Inchcape for about £80 delivered.

the coil also causes this as well, when hot

Not so likely on a CDi..;) :D

Dieselman. Thanks for the offer. I did it the old fashioned way and rang them!
For future reference apparently you can use either but they keep ....2728 on the shelf.

Thats right its an either/or i think its just the make of the sensor but any will fit.
I have them on the shelf £77.20 to forum members!
retail £85.78

Okay, where is it?! I got the new one in the post today and had a quick look tonight from above and below but couldn't see it. It was only a reccy really as I took the top plastics off but didn't take the bottom plastics off. I was expecting to see it on the passenger side rear of the engine area. Am i right?

Going to do it properly at a mates garage on Saturday morning...

Last edited:
It fits into the flywheel flange near the starter motor, done from above.

Well, arrived at the garage this morning. Went to start the car to put it in the workshop. It wouldn't start. Pushed it in, fitted new CPS and car started. All seemed well. Got the fault code reader out and checked a few things.
Codes stored were;
P0500
P1187 (Nearly ran out of fuel the other day, only 4 miles in tank)
P2203
Cleared codes and drove home and parked. Tried to start the car and have the same problem and it won't start again! :(

Anyone got any ideas where to look next?

Check the leak off of the injectors.

The rate at which they leak fuel back into the leakoff rail. If it's much at all the car won't start due to loss of rail pressure.

There's no visual evidence of any leakage on the top of the engine. I've looked at all the fuel supply pipes from the rail, the cotton braided type pipe back to the rail off the top of the injectors and disconnected and reconnected every electrical connection I can find.
It will start again now but took three turns of the key initially and then restarted every time of trying every 5 minutes or so. It is still turning over for quite a period before springing into life though. Its not instantaneous like it once was.

Thinking about it, it's not as good starting from cold as it used to be either but has never failed to start.

There won't be an external leak, it's how much fuel is being leaked back to the tank from the injectors.
If you unplug the braided pipes and point them into seperate bottles you will get an idea, the amount leaking should be minimal.

Had a chat with the chap that rolling roads my race car today. He's diesel diagnostics fella too, so looks like it'll be worth a punt with him. I'll let you know how we get on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom