C280 Build Up Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david_h

Thought I'd post a thread on here, not really sure if people round here modify their Mercs at all.

Phase 1 - bought car

Ordered wheels 10x17 rear and 9x17 front wheels

Ordered paint for mods yesterday, wheel centres, grille etc

Suspension also on ordered from Venom Motorsport, FK dealer up North I use for all my VW bits.

Tires sourced through a friend

Photo_0048.sized.jpg

Photo_0051.jpg

Photo_0052.jpg

Photo_0053.jpg

Phase 2 - Wheels Arrived, Trial fit without tires to see if arch mods required, thankfully not.

Photo_0065.jpg

Photo_0066.jpg

Photo_0067.jpg

Photo_0069.jpg

Photo_0070.jpg

Photo_0071.jpg

Photo_0072.jpg

Photo_0073.jpg

Phase 4 - Grille Fitted & Cleaning.

Spent 6 hours cleaning outside of car, Swissol claybar, Zymol HD Clense & Zymol Creme Wax.

Results are stunning, you can't really tell from my sh1tty camera phone pics.

Fitted the grille, ignore the lights on front-end, I'm still playing with setups/colours.

Photo_0109.sized.jpg

Photo_0110.sized.jpg

Photo_0111.sized.jpg

Photo_0112.sized.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It's been a long day & night, just had rear tires fitted, fronts didn't stretch enough so my mate is sourcing some in a better size tomorrow.

This is the 10" rim, looking pretty fat to me.

Photo_0124.sized.jpg

Photo_0125.sized.jpg

Photo_0126.sized.jpg

Hung around until 3pm today hoping suspension would turn up, sure enough as soon as I left they turned up, so it's at the UPS depot.

Anyway, got wheels on today, badly needs a drop. but the look is coming together nicely.

Wait till I drop it and a bit more colour coding and will be done. Oh and some pics at the bottom of my mates 500SEL, total minter, dropped on replica AMG's. Southall gangsta style :)

Photo_0127.sized.jpg

Photo_0128.sized.jpg

Photo_0129.sized.jpg

Photo_0130.sized.jpg

Photo_0131.sized.jpg

Photo_0132.sized.jpg

Photo_0133.sized.jpg

Photo_0134.sized.jpg

Photo_0135.sized.jpg

Photo_0147.sized.jpg

Photo_0149.sized.jpg

Reactions: PJH
To go with the smoked black indicators I've ordered, decided to paint inside of light surrounds black.

Photo_0165.sized.jpg

Bit of a pain to mask up, but they came out ok. Really I think I need to split the glass from the housing so I can paint the top section that's still grey but shines through.

Are the headlights glued to their housing surround, if so how do I split them?

Cheers in advance.

david_h said:
To go with the smoked black indicators I've ordered, decided to paint inside of light surrounds black.

Photo_0165.sized.jpg

Bit of a pain to mask up, but they came out ok. Really I think I need to split the glass from the housing so I can paint the top section that's still grey but shines through.

Are the headlights glued to their housing surround, if so how do I split them?

Cheers in advance.

Hiya, the glass can be removed by un-doing the spring clips!

Koolvin said:
Hiya, the glass can be removed by un-doing the spring clips!

It's ok, I figured that bit out, but I want to separate the plastic surround from the glass. I had to mask up the glass to avoid getting paint on it so I could paint the inside black.

Difficult to explain without a picture.

My smoked indicators turned up from Germany today, used Silver bulbs on them, I had a few spare as I buy them everytime I go to a European car show as they much cheaper out there.

Now it looks much better, but I can tell now that LHS wing has been replaced and the fit isn't that good, indicator sticks out beyond headlight.

Also headlights aren't sufficiently smoked now, anyone any suggestions as to what to use? Can you smoke glass headlights or is the paint just going to peel off?

Few pics:-

Photo_0166.sized.jpg

Photo_0167.sized.jpg

Photo_0168.sized.jpg

Probably get slated for this as I don't have the correct reflectors so the beam cut-off isn't great, but fitted retro HID's this weekend.

Taken me a good days work in all, bit fiddly to say the least, I'm not at all happy with the alignment on the LHS headlight, I think it's going to blind people. May have to put a spacer in the headlight fitting to dip it down slightly.

Photo_0169.sized.jpg

Photo_0170.sized.jpg

Photo_0171.sized.jpg

Photo_0172.sized.jpg

Photo_0173.sized.jpg

Photo_0174.sized.jpg

Photo_0175.sized.jpg

Photo_0176.sized.jpg

Photo_0177.sized.jpg

Photo_0178.sized.jpg

Well I've lowered the car, to be honest I think I may well have gone a bit far on the front.

It's my daily, it just about gets in the drive, to be honest it looks photoshopped, trust me it's not.

Will try and get some better pics tomorrow. Amazing what a drop can do to a car. Before you ask, yes it rubs, need to roll the front arches. Rears don't rub at all, plastic under tray scrubs on uneven surfaces as well.

Photo_0189.sized.jpg

Photo_0190.sized.jpg

Photo_0191.sized.jpg

Photo_0192.sized.jpg

Photo_0193.sized.jpg

Photo_0194.sized.jpg

Photo_0195.sized.jpg

Photo_0196.sized.jpg

Photo_0197.sized.jpg

Photo_0198.sized.jpg

Photo_0199.sized.jpg

Photo_0200.sized.jpg

Photo_0201.sized.jpg

Photo_0202.sized.jpg

Photo_0203.sized.jpg

Photo_0204.sized.jpg

Photo_0205.sized.jpg

Photo_0206.sized.jpg

Took a few more pics, shame about the other cars in the way, couldn't do proper photoshoot as no time, and I'm having to borrow digi-cams atm as mine's bust.

I raised the front 1" or so, and after the archwork today, I can now get full lock without rubbing. Hopefully it hasn't detracted from the overall look.

DSCF2452.sized.jpg

DSCF2453.sized.jpg

DSCF2454.sized.jpg

DSCF2457.sized.jpg

DSCF2461.sized.jpg

DSCF2462.sized.jpg

DSCF2463.sized.jpg

DSCF2464.sized.jpg

phase 2 of Project C280 has begun.

More paint in 2 weeks to come.

I ordered these lights today, some from Germany, some from the US, should be here next week:-

TL_MBZ_W202_RED_01.jpg

HL_MBZ_W202_EURO_W_CORNER_01.jpg

Taster pic, tints are done, rear lights and front indicators are on, still waiting for headlights from Germany.

Daylight pics when car clean tomorrow.

Photo_0237.sized.jpg

Another update, massive thanks to KillerHERTZ for the HOWTO threads on bumper removal.

2 hours last night in the dark, and the car now looks like this:-

Photo_0251.sized.jpg

Photo_0252.sized.jpg

Photo_0253.sized.jpg

Well the lights and new grille turned up, it's taken nearly 2 weeks, it was quicker to get the rear lights over from Taiwan than to get these from Germany.

Build quality of lights is as good if not better than OEM, exactly same fitment except H4 bulbs, 2 headlight adjusters and 6 pin EU/UK socket :)

It's dark outside and I'm missing my bumpers so won't fit them yet.

Photo_0255.sized.jpg

Photo_0256.sized.jpg

Photo_0257.sized.jpg

Photo_0258.sized.jpg

Photo_0259.sized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom