C280 dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eelmaster

Hello,

I would be very grateful for any thoughts on the following.

I have decided to buy a C280 having driven one and loved it. What I can't decide is whether the V6 cars are worth the premium being charged for them.

At the moment, I have tabs on two cars, a 97P inline six and a 98R V6. Both are sport models and have almost identical high spec (real leather, electric seats, CD, sunroof etc). Both are slightly high mileage (75k) but have full MBSH and are basically flawless (so am told). The 97P has no head gasket problems and has had the wiring harness replaced.

The V6 is being offered at £10k and the older one at £8k. Basically, is the V6 worth the extra, if better at all. Are either or both of these reasonable prices, or should I be looking to pay less if I go for either of them.

Finally, does anyone know if a 97P W202 will have the new rounded switch type interior, or will it be the old ones?

Thanks very much indeed

eelmaster

I'm fairly sure a '97 will have the newer switchgear.

Eelmaster,

I was just wondering if you are the same Eelmaster that I have seen hanging around on the PFM forum?

Robbo

hi Robbo

Yes, that is me, hifi is what I do when at home! Are you also a flat earther? Naim or Linn man?

Any thoughts on the V6/I6 quandary BTW?

eelmaster

Gosh a Naim man! My father is one of the two M.D.s! Small world!

Eelmaster,

I am afraid I am neither! I run a dpa system which is not strictly flat earth. I like a sound that gives me bits of both of flat and round earth and the dpa kit does pretty much what I am looking for - kind of middle earth if you like:D

Back to cars. Personally I have no experience with either car, but having read up on the US MB forums it seems as though all in line 6 cylinder M104 engines will have a head gasket probem at some time or other. The M112 engine seems to be pretty highly regarded by the techs on the forums, but early engines have had problems with the crankshaft harmonic balancer failure. However that seems to be more with the 320 engine. Also you must use synthetic oil with the FSS system or the engine gums up!

I am biased, as I have a V6 but I would say go for the V6 engine!

Cheers, Robbo

A small world indeed! Any chance of a discount when I go for the next upgrade?!

Robbo, yes I know DPA, very nice kit indeed - much more like the newer naim stuff than the old. Seems to be the way most manufacturers are heading now.

As for the engine, thanks for the comments. I have never heard of the harmonic balancer failing. Is this as serious as it sounds?

thanks everyone

eelmaster

Afraid that I can't comment on the inline 6 2.8 (although I understand that it is a very popular unit), but my last car was a 2000 C280 Sport, so can give you some feedback on that....

Basically, thought it was a superb car - excellent power, nice and torquey, combined with decent economy. Possible extra expense over the I6 is having the 12 spark plugs changed (dealers charge over £400 for this - there have been previous posts on here regarding this being done at an independant for about £50, so worth bearing in mind)

I'd guess that the V6 car you are looking at is probably a facelifted version, so that will probably account for part of the price difference.

Is the car you're looking at from a dealer? If private I'd say that the price looks a bit on the high side - my W 2000 C280 with about 66k miles didn't sell for that much more than £10k when I sold it in June.

Let me know if you have any particular questions about the V6 car...

Cheers,

Ed.

Yes, Robbo, a naimie. Reliability and customer service are just part of the attraction ;.) Thanks for the link, I understand now - does not seem to be too terminal.

Big Ed, thanks. That is all useful to know. I felt that the price was a bit high, even though it is from a dealer. I suspect that he is going to try to justify it when/if we get down to figures by referring to the "dish" AMG alloys and the equipment fitted. However, I do get the feeling I would be paying a little over the odds on it, given the mileage and age.

Anybody out there got anything nice to say about the inline six?

thanks and night to all

eelmaster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom