C280 sport 1999. What do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grantovski

Car
Mercedes W124 E280
Hi guys seen a C280 sport, looks tidy for the year. Any thoughts on what to look out for when buying one? Done 113,00. Miles.

the amount of rust it has managed to pick up,check wheel arches,sills,jack points,bottom of doors,boot lid,nothing else to worry about,apart from a good indie/MB service history.good luck.

head gasket and timing chain cover need to be checked for any signs of oil leaks

Rust to boot lid near lock and check rear dog legs for rust as well as front wings

Hi,
Check for rust, check out my recent post and bare in mind that all you could see of this was a blister that had crept from underneath the side skirt into the door shut of the rear passenger door.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclub-projects/135085-w202-rust-word-warning.html

Also check the gearbox changes gear smoothly and the car pulls well through the rev range.
Check tyres for uneven wear.

Also make sure the wiper works fine, it can be quite expensive to fix when it goes wrong.

Front wiper, rust, head gasket leaks, check it pulls well with no hesitation or flat sports when accelerating, gear changes should be perfectly smooth with the engine warm. Make sure it's been serviced on a regular bases, then enjoy the ownership of a very nice car.

Obviously cars of this era and mileage are starting to bubble and rust. Some more than others. So are you saying its not fixable? Or too expensive?

Obviously cars of this era and mileage are starting to bubble and rust. Some more than others. So are you saying its not fixable? Or too expensive?

I'd say it depends. My 1999 one is perfect underneath, the only rust was round the wheel arches, which was there when I bought the car 2 years ago. £250 got that done at a backstreet garage (would cost much more than that at most places though), and you can't tell it's been done. The odd bit of rust is starting to bubble up now (mainly due to the very harsh winter the year before last), perhaps in a year or so it'll cost me about £200. Not exactly major money, especially as it's not critical to the running of the car.
There is a thread on here about a C43 that had some serious rust issues, and will have cost a fortune to mend, you might want to have a look at it to give you an idea of where to look.
Here is the thread:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclub-projects/135085-w202-rust-word-warning.html

Due to the age of these cars, the bodywork is never going to be perfect, but if it's not too major it can be fixed. It's the main thing to look at in a way, they're very good mechanically.

Your luck may be in ?

my car is 1996 and does not have any rust (first owner had it in a garage from new)

Would be nice if the C280 sport you are looking at has the AMG kit

Last edited:
head gasket and timing chain cover need to be checked for any signs of oil leaks

Rust to boot lid near lock and check rear dog legs for rust as well as front wings

Front wiper, rust, head gasket leaks, check it pulls well with no hesitation or flat sports when accelerating, gear changes should be perfectly smooth with the engine warm. Make sure it's been serviced on a regular bases, then enjoy the ownership of a very nice car.

A '99 C280 will have the M112 V6, not an M103 - so no need to worry about oil leaks and head gasket issues really :)

bedwards1966 said:
I'd say it depends. My 1999 one is perfect underneath, the only rust was round the wheel arches, which was there when I bought the car 2 years ago. £250 got that done at a backstreet garage (would cost much more than that at most places though), and you can't tell it's been done. The odd bit of rust is starting to bubble up now (mainly due to the very harsh winter the year before last), perhaps in a year or so it'll cost me about £200. Not exactly major money, especially as it's not critical to the running of the car.
There is a thread on here about a C43 that had some serious rust issues, and will have cost a fortune to mend, you might want to have a look at it to give you an idea of where to look.
Here is the thread:

Due to the age of these cars, the bodywork is never going to be perfect, but if it's not too major it can be fixed. It's the main thing to look at in a way, they're very good mechanically.

Hi, I had a look at one yesterday, 4 rusty arches,but seemed ok underneath. TBH the car needs respraying, scratched and flat paint.
The oil filler cap and inner neck had slight signs of mush, the dipstick was clean though. No smoke out of the exhaust and no signs of the head leaking. Any ides? Is that common on the V6? Cheers guys

The oil filler cap and inner neck had slight signs of mush, the dipstick was clean though. No smoke out of the exhaust and no signs of the head leaking. Any ides? Is that common on the V6? Cheers guys

Not in the slightest, the M112 V6 is pretty much bulletproof in this respect.

Will said:
Not in the slightest, the M112 V6 is pretty much bulletproof in this respect.

Hi got any ideas though? Could it be the head? It drove faultlessly.

ucr said:
Your luck may be in ?

my car is 1996 and does not have any rust (first owner had it in a garage from new)

Would be nice if the C280 sport you are looking at has the AMG kit

If I get the car resprayed, then I'd consider a body kit....

I called Star motors and they said a little sludge in the filler neck is nothing to worry about,so I'm buying the car. Will post some pics.

The emulsion on the oil cap seems to afflict all M112 V6s, particularly if they have done a lot of short journeys. One thing I would add is to check the harmonic balancer for signs of it coming apart. It's the lump of rubber inside the crankshaft pulley.

Have a look under the car for signs of a wet diff. Diff seals on w202s tend to leak. God bargaining point and also ensure the car has two electronic keys....I think new ones are in excess of £100.

On the v6 engine, the oil seals on the oil cooler are prone to eventually leak but its a faily easy diy job to fix. It evenually lands up dripping on the fanbelt and it eventually shreds to pieces. When you go and have a look at the car, pull the plastic cover off the top of the engine and have a look for telltale signs.

Last edited:
Have a look under the car for signs of a wet diff. Diff seals on w202s tend to leak. God bargaining point and also ensure the car has two electronic keys....I think new ones are in excess of £100.

On the v6 engine, the oil seals on the oil cooler are prone to eventually leak but its a faily easy diy job to fix. It evenually lands up dripping on the fanbelt and it eventually shreds to pieces. When you go and have a look at the car, pull the plastic cover off the top of the engine and have a look for telltale signs.

All W202s (most Mercs for that matter) have wet diffs, nothing to worry about.

In my humble opinion the W202 is a great car, especially in C280 v6 form. I'm on my second one. Had it 4 years and it still has only 67k on the clock. Runs beautifully and is not too thirsty for a 2.8 with plenty of power available when needed. Prone to the brake light switch problem - changed mine a couple of years ago. Also prone to the well known alram siren problem - again mine had this. Bodywork could be better although mine is almost rust free - just the rear arches having rusted on the surface a little. I've fixed that for now by rubbing down, treating and waxoyling. Slightly wet diff no problem - again I have this on the C280 but it never actually drips! Absolutely beautiful car to drive, smooth, quiet and refined. Fantastic value for money. Hope the op enjoys his.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom