C280 (W202) - Float Sensor Location

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Gee

Car
W 2 0 3
Hi All

It seems that my Float Sensor for my petrol Gauge has given up as it behaving very erratically. Sometimes shows a full tank, sometimes shows empty with low level light on, even when I have just filled up and sometimes shows true reading ????

Does anyone know where this unit is located, can I change the part myself (fairly confident with mechanics and electrics), idea of cost of part and part number.

Thanks

G

Under the car there are two plastic covers that expose the fuel sender positions. (either side of the tank)

A special peice of pipe is needed to drain it fully. But if you pull of a fuel pipe at the engine end and run the fuel pump most of it will come out.

There is a special tool to remove the "rings" that hold the sensors in but it is not essential.

Do both sides. I think they come in a pair anyway.

By coincidence, a friend of mine has got exactly the same problem on a 1996 C280 Elegance. I'll be interested to hear how you get one ;)

Thanks to Oliver and Television for superb advice as usual :)

Will

Info Update:

Never had this issue as long as I have owned this vehicle - I believe this all came about because I let the tank nearly run dry. Usually, when the orange light comes on to tell you that your running low on fuel, I more or less fill it up straight away. This time around I drove for about another 50 miles before filling up again -

Misbehaving fuel gauges in W202 are maybe not common but there are quite a few posts on this subject within the forum. I had a gauge that sometimes insisted the tank was completely empty. After taking advice, I simply switched from supermarket fuel to more expensive branded fuel for a few tanks and hey presto it started working again. Now I'm not saying thats the answer [its worked for me 3 times in 6 years] but a few extra quid on fuel is cheaper and quicker than a trip to a garage - any garage. Some people reckon the units become dirty inside the tank and this stops them working properly. Better fuel contains additives which may help clean off the crud though I'm no expert.

I used to keep a very careful watch on the fuel gauge in order to understand what the marks on the dials meant in terms of fuel consumed. Here is a sort of summary (from memory).

1 If I fill up until the fuel pump cuts out then on motorways I'd get around 80 - 85 miles before the gauge would fall to the first "FULL" marker.
2 At the "3/4" marker I'd have travelled around 155 motorway miles. At the "1/2" marker around 255 motorway miles. The tank is nominally 62 litres but you can squeeze around another 4 - 5 litres into the tank by brimming it to the lip of the filler cap. Doing this allowed me to travel around 300 motorway miles in italy recently before the gauge reached the "1/2" marker.
3 I've also noticed that if you fill up, drive a significant distance, then stop and switch on again, the pointer never rises to exactly where it was before you switched off, its always a little bit lower.

Give the fuel method a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Rgds

Les

Hi Dittrich

You must have read my mind - I was thinking this last night on my way home before I read your post !!
I decided to fill up with £40 worth of Super Duper unleaded 97 RON instead of my "EL Cheapo" brand that I always use.
Driving off from the Fore Court, the needle was showing empty and then started to fluctuate between 1/2 and empty. After about 5 miles of driving, the needle went up to where it should be - at the Full mark and stayed there for the rest of my journey . :bannana:
Got up to go work today and the needle was showing its true resting place on ignition startup and the rest of my journey . !!
I hope this has sorted the problem out - I will keep you all informed incase my petrol gauge has a memory lapse again -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom