C280 w202 wont fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JOHNO978

Car
Mercedes C180 W203 Mercedes C280 W 202
Hi Folks,
Yesterday my 95 C280 decided to not start up...It had been running just fine for the past 7 yrs that Ive owned...I do my own services etc every spring time and a mini service just before winter...anyway we had been out shopping...stopped at a few stores then went to our final shop...when we came out the car just would not fire up...I tried everything to the point of the battery starting to drain...I even put extra fuel in as my gauge is a bit dodgy...nothing...The RAC came out and checked the car over...Fuel pump running...Spark at the plugs...no obvious wire off..lastley he checked out the injector wire and found there wasnt a pulse on his little gadjet...and suggested that its the injector relay thats gone....I have no idea where to look for this relay at all..not what it looks like....I changed the OVP relay just over a year ago....if that could have anything to do with the "No Pulse" issue....any help would be much appreciated
Regards,
Steve

Ah well...viewed 65 times with no suggestions...any ideas would be welcome as I am now at a total loss...I can normaly work problems out but this has me totaly baffled....

Could the remote fob have failed, is locking and unlocking ok?
If you have Red & Green LEDS on mirror & door handle, are the flashings together or alternately when you try to start the car.

Any odd looking keys with the car?

Dec

Engine was hot when it failed to start? Could it be the camshaft sensor failed?

Thanks chaps,
It appears to be the imobiliser that is stuck on for some reason...I have only the green lights in the mirror and door...no red whatsoever...the red would flash in the door handle..but never in the mirror from when I first got the car..everything seemed to work and has done for the past 7 years so wasnt willing to pay Mercedes prices of £250 just to have a flashing light in the mirror...Ive never had trouble like this since buying the car...I have an Auto electician coming to see me after his easter holidays..I have used him before as he has the diagnostics set up for Mercedes..and he is very good..and reasonably priced...if he cant solve the problem somehow then Im afraid the car will go for scrap....and its a little beauty so will be very upseting...Ive done a lot of work on it over the years and it has never let me down...I even have new wheel bearing kits and all the ball joints and trackrod ends in my workshop ready to be fitted in spring...all from a Mercedes supplier..so Im keeping my fingers crossed...I will update when my guy has been,
Regards,
Steve

What kind of alarm, if any, is fitted, is there a separate remote fob for alarm?

Lift the carpet and remove the footrest on passenger side foot well and have a look at the immobiliser for wet damage and see also if any wires to the immobiliser were cut for the purpose of integrating an alarm into the immobiliser.

Immobiliser looks like below.
s-l225.jpg

Footrest
attachment.php

Dec

Thanks Dec...I will have a look over the weekend...I dont know what make the alarm is but I dont have a seperate fob for it..everything works off the key fob...very interesting..thank you..I will post back as soon as I have had a look...
Steve..
ps...The alarm is a mercedes alarm I think..factory fitted ??

Last edited:
Sincere apologies for the late results regarding this problem....I was taken quite unwell for a good few days...anyhow...the Auto Electrician who I use came 2 days ago (tuesday)...I had located the modules thanks to Dec`s pictures but couldnt find anything obvious...the Electrician however found that a 2nd immobilizer had been fitted....began with a "P"...cant recall the name he said it was...this had malfunctioned and was stopping the car from starting...he removed it...repaired the harness where it had been patched into...did some magic with his computer and hey presto the car started no problem...the factory alarm and immobiliser still function and all is well...for this work he only charged me £35...however I was so pleased to have my car back i gave him £50...well chuffed...thanks for the help fellas...much appreciated...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom