C300h MPG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

H1JFG

Car
MERCEDES C300h HYBRID (W205), BRILLIANT BLUE, AMG LINE PREMIUM, AIR SUSPENSION, LED, 360
Has anyone got a new C Class (W205) C300h?
If so just wondering what MPG you were getting.
Just got mine 2 weeks ago and have averaged 50MPG.
Which is good but nowhere near the 78.5MPG shown in the brochure!!

C300h ?

The last car with the h suffix was the 130h from the 1930's : h stood for heckmotor ( rear engine ) , the vehicle was designed by a certain Ferdinand Porsche when he worked for Mercedes-Benz and was the predecessor of the Volkswagen , which was also designed by him whilst working for Mercedes-Benz .

I'm only guessing but doesn't the electric motor work more pften on short runs when its fully charged, which will give misleading results on a short test cycle.

geraldrobins said:
I'm only guessing but doesn't the electric motor work more pften on short runs when its fully charged, which will give misleading results on a short test cycle.

It's used for pulling off and very slow speed stuff. The mileage is also used in the overall mpg calculation I think

It's used for pulling off and very slow speed stuff. The mileage is also used in the overall mpg calculation I think
The electric motors are used when pulling away (up to about 15-20 mph) and also used to fill the gaps before the diesel engine starts up. For example when slowing down for a slow bend in the road the diesel engine will switch off, and when you apply the accelerator the motors provide a boost of power until the diesel can start up again. This all happens in a second or so.
I do a lot of longer journeys of about 3 hours or so and average just over 50 mpg.
Maximum I have seen was 59 mpg on a short motorway run.
Overall I am happy with the mpg.
But was just curious what other c300h drivers were getting.

Last edited:
Ive got a C300h AMG Line Estate and have had it for about a month now after changing from a C220 AMG Sport Estate Manual. Really wanted a manual in the C300 but its not available but so far quite impressed with it. It's definately quicker than the C220 although it doesnt rev as high as the C220 did even in Sport + which makes it a bit lazy when trying to make progress and the manual felt much more in control especially in the wet when the rears a bit lively. Fuel consumption is way up on the C220 using pretty much 50% of what I was using before and you can easily get 60mpg if driven sensibly, the engine even turns off at 70mph on the motorway if your really gentle and stays at speed using just the electric motor.

Also have C300h AMG Estate with 19s. 6 weeks old, 2,300miles. I just finished a tank and only got 40MPG or around 380miles :( That was about 50% motorway, 50% rush hour traffic.

The best I have seen which was a full cross country run on the motorway was around 440-450 miles out the tank which was just over 50MPG.

I am not too fussed (previous was a 335d & Land Rover defender :) ), but thought it would have been better than that. Maybe just needs to be run in a little more, but that is nearly half of what is quoted by MB!

Just to p*** on a few chips I regularly see 60mpg on a motorway run and achieve around 50mpg average :)

Car W205 C220 BT

I get 50mpg on a motorway run (albeit at 50mph) in an ancient w211 320cdi with starship mileage on the clock. *****ly shome mishtake that a new spangly dangly hybrid c class can only slightly beat a ten year old car?

I have to say I struggle to understand what hybrids are about. It seems that most of them are little better than the best conventional alternative. Diesels will do over 60MPG and even my petrol C class has returned 57 MPG on a motorway run. Do hybrids justify their price especially given the tax payer subsidy.

190 said:
I have to say I struggle to understand what hybrids are about. It seems that most of them are little better than the best conventional alternative. Diesels will do over 60MPG and even my petrol C class has returned 57 MPG on a motorway run. Do hybrids justify their price especially given the tax payer subsidy.
Did you know when factoring the rare earth minerals/metals needed for a hybrid electric and associated battery pack and the Carbon footprint for making the whole manufacturing process and ultimate scrapping, that it works out at the equivalent of running a V8 pick-up truck for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Fine as a principle but realistically pointless.

Last edited:
To be fair, shall we say I was well in excess of 50mph on my motorway runs and I wasn't exactly hanging around when not on the motorway either... :D

I am going to drive with a very light foot for the next tank (and Eco mode as much as possible) and will let you know what I get out of it.

In response to the last 2 comments;

I have read something similar to this before, but I think this is most likely a little outdated - I am pretty sure this was with reference to the original Prius circa 10 years ago.

Hybrids & EVs are the future (oil is going to run out, CO2 destroying the planet etc), however, as with renewable energy technologies, we are just in a transitional phase at the minute and the technology needs to mature. Government grants and tax breaks allow the C300h to exist and the whole planet will be better off in the long run. On a side note I would love to have a go of one of those new Teslas - they look awesome :)

Interesting to read about mpg on the new c300h, I spotted one badged as such the other and was having a chat at work about realistic mpg.

I was reckoning on about 55mpg or there abouts.

I think the debate for hybrids is interesting. These cars are all development work towards the future and I applaud those who choose to opt in.
I can't afford one, and for me, my golf tdi 170 does 50-52mpg on my commute with a pb of 63. I'm all for it, and one day the "best" technology will be found and establish itself. Personally I believe it will be full ev, with the battery capacity conundrum solved. Can't wait!

Interesting to read about mpg on the new c300h, I spotted one badged as such the other and was having a chat at work about realistic mpg.

I was reckoning on about 55mpg or there abouts.

I think the debate for hybrids is interesting. These cars are all development work towards the future and I applaud those who choose to opt in.
I can't afford one, and for me, my golf tdi 170 does 50-52mpg on my commute with a pb of 63. I'm all for it, and one day the "best" technology will be found and establish itself. Personally I believe it will be full ev, with the battery capacity conundrum solved. Can't wait!

Yeah I think I should be able to get 50+ if I drove sensibly, possibly more towards 60 once the engine loosens up and I drove sensibly... What is crazy is how small the tank is on it and subsequently the range. The most I have managed to get in it so far was 44 litres. I guess the batteries must be taking up some of the tanks space.

I agree full EV will be the endgame. I think the Vauxhall Ampera/Chevy Volt is probably the best current EV in terms of eco/usability..

Just a little update, I drove like a granny on the last tank and got around 430 miles out of it (as opposed to 380). It has a tiny tank!!

Average was around 45mpg for the tank.

To be fair most of my driving is pretty horrific for mpg, literally 3 mile drives in rush hour barely getting over 30mpg.

I did manage a run up to the lakes (80 miles) and left it on cruise control at 70 and it got up to 53mpg.

Also coming back I dropped it down to 65mph for a bit and it was knocking on for high 50s.

May try a longer run at 65 to see what I get. Still not amazing but perhaps more inline with what the others are getting. But certainly it's more like 40mpg when driving round town for me....!

Just a little update, I drove like a granny on the last tank and got around 430 miles out of it (as opposed to 380). It has a tiny tank!!

Average was around 45mpg for the tank.

To be fair most of my driving is pretty horrific for mpg, literally 3 mile drives in rush hour barely getting over 30mpg.

I did manage a run up to the lakes (80 miles) and left it on cruise control at 70 and it got up to 53mpg.

Also coming back I dropped it down to 65mph for a bit and it was knocking on for high 50s.

May try a longer run at 65 to see what I get. Still not amazing but perhaps more inline with what the others are getting. But certainly it's more like 40mpg when driving round town for me....!

Would love to see a few pics of your new car.

Ant

Well the C350e says 134mpg but people are not getting near that , but you do get 19 miles of drive just on battery and it's fast

It has a 50 litre tank, so I would guess you can get around 52-53 litres in using the filler neck etc. if completely empty, and 49litres if not running out, if the regular C Class is anything to go by. So around £50 worth of fuel?

380 miles is 35mpg. 420 is 39mpg.

What is the OBC saying?

I calibrated my X3's OBC recently, it was way out, was saying 48 when in reality it was more like 39mpg.

Customer with a GLA250d says he is getting nearly 50mpg, but when asked he said he was getting 400 miles from a tank, and that it is only costing him £55 to fill, which makes no sense, must mean he is just under 40mpg, not 50 as the OBC is saying.

I also have a 2,0T Audi avant, that is the other way, OBC said 34mpg last tank but calculated was actually 38mpg. Bizarre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom