C300h - Real world MPG's ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zak3737

Car
C250
Hi all,
Considering the C300h, in a move to potentially reduce fuel costs and get with the times in the move to becoming an eco-warrior.

However, road tested one today for an hour in Eco mode, on different roads, some flat, some ups and downs, and drove it very sedately at times, and a quick test in Sport+ to see the difference, - which was a lot !

Only averaged 47.8 mpg through, at 37mph avg, which isnt a lot more than I've averaged in my C250 over the last 3 years, which shows me 41.6 avg.

Trying to drive anywhere in Electric mode was nigh on impossible, as the engine kicks in with the slightest touch on the pedal - same for all ?
It only seemed to Charge when foot left the accelerator, and you actuially braked, is this right ? I would have thought that coasting downhill would actrivate charging without the need to actually brake ?

What are you C300h users gettting from yours, and are you happy with it ?

As it is, I'm thinking that C220D is perhaps the way to go for better mpg.......

The hybrid system on the 300h is a bit on the small side I think. The electric motor is only 27bhp and the battery is very small (can't seem to find the capacity though). I test drove one when thinking about the C350e ('cos the dealer didn't seem to be able to find a 350e for me to try) and thought it was pretty good but as you say, it tends to start the ICE at the slightest provocation. TBH, I was more interested in getting a sense of the current C class more than the 300h per se as there is no way I could ever make sensible use of a Diesel engine car even if I ever wanted one (which I never have).

Have you considered the C350e? Or perhaps, wait for the Tesla 3 and see what that looks like if you really want to go eco. Part of me is wishing I'd waited myself. I really can't put my finger on it but I just don't love the C350e for some reason. I'm sure I should.....I just don't :(

I generally get between 50-55 mpg on mine.

It will not stay in Electric mode for long, you need to be gentle with the accelerator to stay in Electric mode, typically not much over 10-15 mph. But you can be cruising at 70mph and lift the accelerator and the ICE will cut out and you can use battery power to maintain the speed for a time.

It should charge (1 green bar) when just coasting downhill (or on the flat) as well as breaking. Mine does.

Very interested in this thread as I have a 300h on order and currently commute 120 miles per day.
If I'm brutally honest I've only gone for the 300h over a 250d is that the BIK is lower however I'll be very disappointed if I see less than 50mpg on my commute. The 350e wouldn't have worked out economically for me due to the range issue and reliance on a petrol engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did read somewhere that if you pull on the left paddle it puts the car in to a 'coast' mode that regenerates the system?

I have a Lexus CT200h and have the same thing... To use full electric you have to accelerate at walking pace and the engine comes in at 25mph!

Thx fellas.
50-55mpg seems reasonable enough perhaps, BUT, in reality, is that much, if any more, than I'd get from a C220 ??

I can easily get mid 50's on an easy long run from my C250, and am averaging nearly 42mpg on it overall, but after a quick blast in Sports Mode yesterday, which reminded me of just how quick the C250 actually is when needed, the C300h is perhaps the best of both worlds.......
That 'boy racer' in me does still sometimes appear.......even at 55 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom