C300h - suspension, wheels combo advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jinjabud

Car
BMW 320d
Hi everyone

I'm changing my company car from the BMW 320d to possibly the C300h (it's the current front runner). I'm looking at the Avantgarde (Sport in the UK) but have a few questions.

I don't find any road tests with cars that have the standard Agility suspension, they all seem to have the Airmatic equipped. And, incidentally, they all seem to be for the AMG (which is out of my budget (unfortunately!!)).

Linked to this question about the suspension - are 17" wheels good enough with the Agility suspension to cope with the power that the car delivers? Looking at the specs I'm feeling that it really needs Airmatic with 18" wheels. But, maybe I'm being over cautious.

I do a lot of motorway miles on my commute, but also have a lot of pretty rubbish A roads (in terms of pot holes, bad repairs etc) either side of my motorway journey.

I want to make the best out of the options that I add but I want the car to be solid (and safe) on the road too.

If anyone can give me input that would be great.

Thanks

Hi,

I test drove a C300 AMG on the standard suspension (not air) which IIRC is firmer than the Sport?

The car I test drove had optional 19" wheels.

I found the ride comfortable but I'm used to fairly firm cars. It's such a personal think I think you have to drive one.

Personally I'd go for an AMG with standard suspension and wheels, but that's just me. If I had the money to burn I'd get the air suspension but I think you'd be fine without it.

Thanks for the info. I actually went for a test drive today with the Sport model. It has the dynamic Agility as standard with the 17" wheels.

To be honest, it performed really well. The suspension was set on Sport for some of the worst roads and it was actually pretty comfortable. It was cornered quite hard during the test and it felt planted on the road. I was really (actually very) surprised.

So I decided to stick with the Agility dynamic suspension, but I will be adding the 'night package' that lowers the suspension by 15mm and I think that will be enough, without having to go down the AMG route (that I really don't have the budget for).

On a plus note, it's very responsive and a definite license looser. There was a lot of grinning going on during the test and I'll be putting my order in on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom