C300h w205 2016 Electrical fire in boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi , just viewed the video and if was my car I would have a controlled rage.

I believe that you need a detailed written from reply from Mercedes as to why and how this has happened.

Do not be fobbed of under any circumstance.

Have you looked on the Australian and American sites for the same problem.

If they say we we have not had problems like this before , reply , you have now.

Other members on the site has the same car as you and I personally would not drive these cars until the cars have been inspected.

I think if you drive your car until the issue is sorted out you could have issues with your insurance company.

Sorry to be so negative.

My guess would be an electrical fault. Is the holder next to the battery earth cable metal? If it is then maybe the cable has rubbed through and made contact. I also support the theory of the poor earth connection which can lead to localised heating of the cable. i Think you are very lucky that you did not have a fire.
Also a word of warning never touch the residue of an electrical fire without gloves on.

The insulation materials used in electric components are fire retardant. This means they will smolder but won't burn in an open flame. That said, they do give out quite a lot of smoke and a strong smell of burning plastic.

Meant to say 1/2 volt drop!
1 volt would generate 300 watts at 300 amps👍🏻👍🏻

I did wonder I thought my electronics theory was a bit rusty i am glad you corrected it.

Reactions: Ted
Hello
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I now have the investigation reports which reads:

“The technician found that the non Mercedes-Benz battery was 4cm too short for the housing. The battery was not fully secured with the holding bolt causing the battery to move, causing the live feed to rub through the insulation and causing the earth to overheat and melt.”

This was indeed an electrical fault.

And no, I have not had this battery replaced since I got the car so the story continues...

Hello
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I now have the investigation reports which reads:

“The technician found that the non Mercedes-Benz battery was 4cm too short for the housing. The battery was not fully secured with the holding bolt causing the battery to move, causing the live feed to rub through the insulation and causing the earth to overheat and melt.”

This was indeed an electrical fault.

And no, I have not had this battery replaced since I got the car so the story continues...
This is a good reason to buy replacement batteries from the MB dealership to ensure proper fit etc.

I guess the battery was replaced by a previous owner ? how would you ever know it was the wrong one until something like this happens ? same could be said of virtually all service items from brake fluid to engine oil .

Unless a main dealer did the work or you did it yourself you would never know . I hope it get's sorted to your satisfaction .

I guess the battery was replaced by a previous owner ? how would you ever know it was the wrong one until something like this happens ? same could be said of virtually all service items from brake fluid to engine oil .

Unless a main dealer did the work or you did it yourself you would never know . I hope it get's sorted to your satisfaction .
You are right Pete, there is no way of knowing. I was suggesting that when buying a replacement battery, it is probably better to buy it from the parts dept of a MB dealership to ensure proper fit (especially if the pricing is competitive) to avoid any future issues.

I know I have replaced the batteries on my W169's and R172 with Varta (non-original MB) batteries. However, in the case of the W169, the Varta batteries were of an identical physical size, and in the case of the R172 I managed to squeez in the next size up battery to give it a bigger capacity as it was only about £10 more expensive. I will now double check the battery in the R172 is properly seated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom