C32 AMG advice please (Test drive worry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calgonis

Car
C230 Sold / 69' VW Devon Delux camper / BMW M135i
Hello,

I test drove a C32 AMG Mercedes today. Brief info on the car is 75K Miles and FMBSH. It was a great car however I became concerned on the test drive. At around 30Mph there was a all too noticable boom in the cabin. Below this speed and above this speed it vanished.

Being as I have never driven one of these cars before I do not know if this is normal. If I describe the boom noise as say like an exhaust rumble / vibration or say a wheel bearing noise or even something more sinister in the gearbox. Apart from that the car drove fantastically, tight and like new.

The owner said he had never noticed it before and would take the car into the garage tomorrow for inspection and to let the mechanics test drive it to see if they thought it there was anything to worry about. He said if anything needed doing he would get it fixed and a report done for me. He did say that since his new 6 series BMW arrived the car has sat for weeks without driving. He said he would welcome any inspection I wanted to have done on the car afterwards.

Anyone with one of these cars have any suggestions of what this sound might have been or indeed if it is normal on these cars?

Thanks in Advance.

Andrew

It could be a torque converter issue.

What year was the car?

It may have glycol contamination in the automatic transmission fluid due to a faulty Valeo radiator (do a search on this site). The contamination may cause this type of issue.

Was it a low drone that went as you sped up?

Yes exactly that a low drone that dissapeared when the speed increased. It changed gear really smoothly as well.

Oh dear! I have read about that kind of issue and how serious it can be if the contamination is bad.

Thanks for the advice we shall see what the mechanics come up with! Am now getting cold feet though. Car is outside it's MB warranty which ran out last year.

Cheers

Andrew

Just get the ATF tested to really know.

It could also be a simple as the parking brake cable rubbing on the prop too! This is also a common issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom