C32 AMG Facelift date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlanD, Jun 14, 2011.

1. AlanD

AlanD Active Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG IWC
    I had previously thought that the facelift C32 was around Sep/Oct 2003, so anything late 2003 or in 2004 would be the newer model. Just rang MB to confirm from chasis number on a Dec 2003 model and they said it was pre-facelift (code 804 rather than 805).

Am I wrong or are they not taking into account that it's an AMG? Have asked the Indy up in Durham that's selling this car and he reckons the lights look clear, but he's nothing to compare to. I can't tell from the pictures.

2. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Can you post a picture up?

3. OP
    OP
    AlanD

AlanD Active Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG IWC
  4. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    To me it just looks like it's had the headlights converted, so it could very possibly be 'pre facelift'

1 person likes this.
  5. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Just so you know, 804 and 805 refer to the model year, last digit being the year. 804 could mean 1984, 1994 or in this case 2004.

1 person likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    AlanD

AlanD Active Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG IWC
    Now I'm just more confuddled thanks to Google! ;o)

So it seems from 2003 you had an OEM option of clear bi-xenons on the C32. Since the C32 ended in 2004, did it get a facelift or not!? Feb 2004 comes up for W203 facelift, but talking about C55s for some reason. I've also seen 2005 mentioned in general for the C class.

7. OP
    OP
    AlanD

AlanD Active Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG IWC
    The parts lady went and "checked with the expert in Sales" and he said 804 definitely meant pre-facelift .. and that 805 meant it was! LOL .. experts eh!? ;o)

8. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Just remind me again, why are you so keen on a 'facelift' model?

9. OP
    OP
    AlanD

AlanD Active Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG IWC
    Just that it was highly recommended I seek one out! Me no nothing .. much ;)

The majority of comments in fairness just seem to be around get as late a model as possible as reliability increased through the years ...

1 person likes this.
  10. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    There is are 2 C55 AMGs on eBay for 10,950 each. One is at Gloucestershire.

I know it's not easy coming up with a grand or so more, but I would strongly recommend that you give the 55 more thought at those prices.

11. OP
    OP
    AlanD

AlanD Active Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG IWC
    It's £2-2.5k more, so a fair chunk. Also not sure if the insurance would shoot up on it or not .. you're not the first to mention it, so V8 aside, what in particular makes you suggest it?

I was thinking maybe 2-3 years with a C32, see if I like it (and can get my head around an auto!) and then maybe look at a newer C55 ..

12. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    The C55s are newer for not much more money, which is the crux of the matter for me.

I reckon you could get that saloon on eBay for £10k if you turned up with readies. Or see if you can work your Ford Mondeo into the equation in your favour.

The 55 isn't too much more powerful than the 32 iirc.

From what some of the C55 owners on here say it's a lot more effortless than the C32, but there are obvious benefits to both cars.

The insurance will be the same I would imagine; it's an AMG.

In all honesty, I would either wait until I had the money for a C55. If I only had say £6k to spend, it wouldn't be an issue but you are on the cusp of a newer car for not much more.

1 person likes this.
  13. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    And just for the record, I think the V6 supercharged c32 is a fantastic car that I will own one day as a weekender.

1 person likes this.
  14. GP801

GP801 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    The interior is prefacelift. Its got the earlier command system with CD based navigation.

1 person likes this.
  15. marty359

marty359 Active Member

Car:
    BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
    Its hard to tell if thats a facelift or not to me.....it has the clear headlights but the wing mirrors seem to be the old style like mine but then again the storage compartment between the seats is different with the buttons being on the sides.

Bobbydazzler??

16. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    E55K SL500 E300Hybrid E250X3 Viano C55 E450Cab A180 Smart 44 Brabus
  17. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    E55K SL500 E300Hybrid E250X3 Viano C55 E450Cab A180 Smart 44 Brabus
  18. OP
    OP
    AlanD

AlanD Active Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG IWC
    Hmmm ... of all the sub £15k C55s I can find, most give me a little concern with the adds or pics. Strangely enough that £11k one in Bristol looks the smartest for the money:
    2004 MERCEDES C55 AMG AUTO SALOON - FULL BLACK LEATHER | eBay UK

It is a whole lot more money though and the missus would probably kill me .. we are meant to be moving house this summer! ;)

Also no idea what standard spec vs. extras are in C55s ... will have to do a little Google-fu to figure it all out. I've asked the guy about PX anyway just to know. Can't imagine he'd come too much down on that price unless something is wrong with it.

Looking at around £8.5k for the C32 plus £500 ish for service bits this year to get going. £11k plus (unsure amount) ... hmmmm ..... :(

19. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    The W203 was indeed facelifted for the 2005 Model Year, which is when all W203 got clear headlamps, revised dashboard centre console, etc. The C32 AMG was never available as a proper phase/gen 2 facelift model - the C55 took it's place in the line up.

The C32 is often referred to as having had a facelift for the 2003 MY though, but I think it's better described as a phase/gen 1.5. Supplied to order cars would come with 2003 MY spec from Q3 2002, but many would be supplied from stock and so some cars registered in 2003 are not actually 2003 MY.

Similarly confusing the spec didn't change for cars registered in 2004 - they're all 2003 MY too - so a phase/gen 1.5 could be anything from 52 to 54 reg, but most will be 03.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    There are some unseen changes, like drive shaft spec (facelift cars get a beefier set up from the W210 E55), but the visible changes I can think of immediately are:

Phase 1.0: Frosted xenons
    Phase 1.5: Clear lens bi-xenons

Phase 1.0: First aid kit mounted beneath faux speaker grille on rear deck (saloon)
    Phase 1.5: First aid kit stored in near side bucket in the boot (saloon)

Phase 1.0: Rear seat folding mechanism release on the seat back IIRC?
    Phase 1.5: Rear seat folding mechanism release beneath the rear deck and accessed from boot

Phase 1.0: Blank square space on supercharger
    Phase 1.5: "Signed" placque mounted on the supercharger

Phase 1.0: Heated seat temperature controlled by buttons on the door with other seat controls?
    Phase 1.5: Heated seat temperature controlled by large buttons on centre console

Phase 1.0: Side window trim in faux-carbon fibre effect
    Phase 1.5: Side window trim in gloss black

Few other bits too, but can't think what now!! Maybe a couple of audio-related things - possibly the audio-in jack in the glovebox for iPod/MP3 on Phase 1.5 cars.

1 person likes this.