C32 AMG vs. 535d M-sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orientdude

Cheshire; Basel-Switzerland/Leiden-Holland
Car
C32 2002 Estate, TVR Griffith, GL550, A6 3.0TDI Avant (missus)
Hello Folks!

What a great forum, you folks through posts, are very knowledgeable and kind lot providing valuable and practical advice.

I found this site, like others, looking for car info and advice. I am looking for an estate for the family haul on long European road trips and for possible daily use. I do know this is not a like-for-like comparison, but I have always been a petrolhead and diesels have been a head-over-heart decision. So again, I have the same dilemma, a performance diesel with the space for the family haul and a good driver's car. Or, a smaller performance estate to satisfy the driver in me, but compromising on some haulage space?

Looking to spend around 15k (self-limited), but more importantly need any advice as to the choice. I have had recently a C220 CDI Avantgarde as a company car and was well impressed with it's long distance comfort and sports driving ability.

Thanks .....

Both cars are good for long road trips - cruisers with urgency on demand.

Your budget will bag a nice C32 with change and enough in reserve for repairs. The 535d will stretch the budget a little more but will be newer.

This is an absolute no brainer. The 535d will trounce most cars on the road remap it and and AMG will be left trailing. This is the fastest diesel you can get by a mile and long haul it is brilliant our company driver takes me about in one and we share the driving Manchester Aberdeen is a breeze you get out fresh as a daisy. Manchester to Manheim its an Autobahn stormer.

If you want a fast diesel, comfortable, long haul cruiser, then look no futher. Yes I know its a MB forum but there is not an MB diesel in this class :thumb:

This is an absolute no brainer. The 535d will trounce most cars on the road remap it and and AMG will be left trailing. This is the fastest diesel you can get by a mile and long haul it is brilliant our company driver takes me about in one and we share the driving Manchester Aberdeen is a breeze you get out fresh as a daisy. Manchester to Manheim its an Autobahn stormer.

If you want a fast diesel, comfortable, long haul cruiser, then look no futher. Yes I know its a MB forum but there is not an MB diesel in this class :thumb:

Your right, but the overall car IMHO isn't as nice as a 211. Back to back, the 211 seems more nimble, whenever following my pals 545i it doesn't seem as good in the bends as mine. Combined with a nicer interior, cheaper to buy, the decision for another 211 was a no brainer.

A C32 AMG is a more charasmatic motor than a 535d, but sadly from the era of MB rust. On the a rural road I'd expect a C32 to leave a 535d for dead. Might be wrong, but they are very big cars the E60's. The body work on the 5 will be better.

What about a 545i estate or a C55 estate as well.

Your right, but the overall car IMHO isn't as nice as a 211. Back to back, the 211 seems more nimble, whenever following my pals 545i it doesn't seem as good in the bends as mine. Combined with a nicer interior, cheaper to buy, the decision for another 211 was a no brainer.

A C32 AMG is a more charasmatic motor than a 535d, but sadly from the era of MB rust. On the a rural road I'd expect a C32 to leave a 535d for dead. Might be wrong, but they are very big cars the E60's. The body work on the 5 will be better.

What about a 545i estate or a C55 estate as well.

You are right both are sub 5.0 secs cars but the torque of the BMW wins hands down.545i is a dog disposable V8 engine with no balls no where near as good as the MB V8. 535d Vs C32 on a rural road the 535d will leave it for dead thts why the cops have started using them as pursuit cars

I love the 211 and the petrol versions are fantastic and the V6 320 diesel is a great car and if you were comparing it to a BMW 530d I would agree the 211 is the better car but MB just dont have anything to compete with the 535d remapped it runs close to 200 mph and 0 -30 mph will blow ferrari's away. You have to drive it to realise the awesome power it has, it truly is unbelieveable I've driven loads of stuff works rally cars, ferrari, maserati, bbut the grunt of the 535 is legendary

You are right both are sub 5.0 secs cars but the torque of the BMW wins hands down.545i is a dog disposable V8 engine with no balls no where near as good as the MB V8. 535d Vs C32 on a rural road the 535d will leave it for dead thts why the cops have started using them as pursuit cars

Cant wait to use that line on my mate. He always gives me grief for the oil burner I drive. I dont think that much of the car, its not any rapid and when following it he cannot shake me off.

I love the 211 and the petrol versions are fantastic and the V6 320 diesel is a great car and if you were comparing it to a BMW 530d I would agree the 211 is the better car but MB just dont have anything to compete with the 535d remapped it runs close to 200 mph and 0 -30 mph will blow ferrari's away. You have to drive it to realise the awesome power it has, it truly is unbelieveable I've driven loads of stuff works rally cars, ferrari, maserati, bbut the grunt of the 535 is legendary

Oh god, I will try one out. With 450 lf/ft torque its over V12 level of torque over a decent power band, thats the key advantage of the set up as the small turbo is boosting v.low the rev range.

Suspension wise, I am suprised, I thought the C32 would be more agile and more nimble. I guess my 211 is but the awesome torque will make up so much ground so quickly I guess, and ideal for pursuit driving where lots of overtaking will be taking place.

Out of interest, how do you think the 535d compares to the a8 4.2 tdi twin turbo?

Out of interest, how do you think the 535d compares to the a8 4.2 tdi twin turbo?

Thats a great question but unfortunately I don't know the answer as I have never driven a A8 4.2 tdi although their reputation is excellent. On paper the Audi has the BMW beat 40 bhp more and 50 lb/ft torque more but the Audi is 200 Kg heavier. Audi has 78 bhp per litre and 0- 60 mph of 6.1 secs compared to BMW 94 bhp per litre and 5.8 secs 0-60 mph

My money would be on the BMW

Thats a great question but unfortunately I don't know the answer as I have never driven a A8 4.2 tdi although their reputation is excellent. On paper the Audi has the BMW beat 40 bhp more and 50 lb/ft torque more but the Audi is 200 Kg heavier. Audi has 78 bhp per litre and 0- 60 mph of 6.1 secs compared to BMW 94 bhp per litre and 5.8 secs 0-60 mph

My money would be on the BMW

I've driven both and can say that, in my opinion, the BMW is ferocious but the Audi just feels only slightly numb in the steering, but get it on a winding country road and it is just brilliant. I think if pushed to buy one with my own money I would struggle to choose.. This may sound daft but even though they are similar in power/ torque etc they feel very very different cars, if that makes sense?

I've driven both and can say that, in my opinion, the BMW is ferocious but the Audi just feels only slightly numb in the steering, but get it on a winding country road and it is just brilliant. I think if pushed to buy one with my own money I would struggle to choose.. This may sound daft but even though they are similar in power/ torque etc they feel very very different cars, if that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense I regularly drive a BMW 545i and SWMBO's A8 4.2 V8 and I admit overall the Audi is the better car in petrol format, but the BMW would win on a b road hurry up drive.

Would like to drive the 4.2 tdi as I reckon you are right it would give the BMW a run for it's money and if it is anything like the petrol version it will be a cracking car.

Will have to see if I can put my hands on one :D

I doubt that mate, you can remap a 535d all you like it will not come near a c32 amg specially if the c32 has a remap and a pully, it will stick with e60 m5's I've had a c32 amg with 402bhp and all it's had is a west-tuning remap and kleeman pully. If its a remap 335D manual then that will be very close with a c32 amg and will probably beat a standard c32.

I've seen a 535D do the 1/4 mile in 13.8secs a c32 is faster standard with 13.4 secs and a 0-60 in 4.6secs.:D

You ALWAYS bum bmws, lol, I mean I own one and they are not all that seriously.

It's no brainer go for a nice clean low milage c32 end of the day it's an AMG enough said.

I've seen a 535D do the 1/4 mile in 13.8secs a c32 is faster standard with 13.4 secs and a 0-60 in 4.6secs.:D

It's no brainer go for a nice clean low milage c32 end of the day it's an AMG enough said.

535d 1/4 mile 12.7 secs 0 - 60 = 4.2 secs :D

nuff said :thumb:

535d m sport is 6.0 sec 0-60mph the 545i is anywhere between 5.5 to 5.8 Not sure where you get sub 5 secs. The 535d is a good car, but not a match for the c32 performance wise, remapped either the one or the other will be faster.

Tested my w210 55 with a friend's 535d m sport from 2nd gear pull, imediate car length and kept pulling on him. I do enjoy it as it is impressive for a diesel, but the ride, the turbo he changed at 46k have annoyed him as well. Road handling wise, i think its a bit nose heavy.

Sub 13s for a 535d only if remapped, and running ok on the day. Flanaia you were also saying about a 600+ bhp M5, and wondered since then how? Have they strokered the engine or supercharger(s)?

535d m sport is 6.0 sec 0-60mph the 545i is anywhere between 5.5 to 5.8 Not sure where you get sub 5 secs. The 535d is a good car, but not a match for the c32 performance wise, remapped either the one or the other will be faster.

Tested my w210 55 with a friend's 535d m sport from 2nd gear pull, imediate car length and kept pulling on him. I do enjoy it as it is impressive for a diesel, but the ride, the turbo he changed at 46k have annoyed him as well. Road handling wise, i think its a bit nose heavy.

My friends 2001 w210 E55 which has had a few mods like a remap and headers/exhuast beaten a remaped 2006 535D at santa pod, i'll try and dig out the video somewhere....

Sub 5 secs is remapped you can get it down to 4.2. I agree it is a nose heavy car which does compromise its handling a little. Performance depends on the driver and is never a fair comparison in petrol Vs diesel most people dont know how to make the most of a diesel performance car and treat it like a petrol changing up too late which compromises performance

Turbos are a funny thing on these cars they either fail at around 45k or go forever the failures seem to be linked to cars that have low mileage and do town motoring and short journeys we loook after a 535d that has 184k on all motorway miles and it is as sweet as the day it left the showroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom