C32 AMG vs. 535d M-sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Swozza!

Well, ownership should provide satisfaction towards:
1. a fun and involved driving experience
2. power and handling thrills
3. comfortable and practical family tourer (wifey)
4. Exclusivity, a special feeling everytime I get in

As I said in an earlier post, I always had petrol cars, diesels only ever as a company car and still I did not like them much, until the 535d test drive came along.......

I think both cars would do 1 and 2. 535d would have the edge of 3. C32 would have the edge on 4.

I've had my C32 for 5 years now and so it's worth buttons, but the strange thing is my colleagues do seem think it's something special and exclusive - by coincidence, the two who think that have/had 535ds!! So if that's any indication of exclusivity or specialness, then maybe the C32 has the edge.

BTW the car that made me feel special was an SW20 MR2, it really seemed to attract attention, and sitting in the thing felt great with a small cockpit and engine behind your ears. Not really an option for long distance cruising with a family though!! :D

I thought they do 0-60 in 3.2secs?:rolleyes:

I thought they did it in 2.3 seconds?....

Wow is this BMW diesel really faster than Ferrari's and Lambo's? like everyone seems to think?...Parkers have it as 6.3 seconds to 60, can a remap knock off 2 seconds?....I know if the pulley is played with on the C32 times can easily drop into the 4's and seeing as you can get a decent C32 for no more than £9k thats where my money would go.

I thought they did it in 2.3 seconds?....

Wow is this BMW diesel really faster than Ferrari's and Lambo's? like everyone seems to think?...Parkers have it as 6.3 seconds to 60, can a remap knock off 2 seconds?....I know if the pulley is played with on the C32 times can easily drop into the 4's and seeing as you can get a decent C32 for no more than £9k thats where my money would go.
Personally, if I had the resources for one, I would have a C55 estate.:)

Ok .. it's been awhile since my last post and to close this one.

Well, I have narrowed it down to 2 from 3 choices. Surprisingly, they are the C32 and E55.

After, looking at a few examples the 535d is a good no doubt about it. Its fast, bags of torque, faster than you would ever think, but still the low diesel noise, if you listen for it, is still just that, a diesel (a very good one a that - the best diesel I have ever driven). Plus, having trawled through BMW forums on reliability and cost relating to turbo and air flap issues, it all adds up to it just doesn't give you the smile factor.

I love to have the E55, the noise and the uber power on tap, but it is just outside my budget (bugger!), plus the cost of up keep will be more than the C32.

So, the C32. Having test driven 3 examples, one was a dog, 2 owners, 2003 FMBSH at 161k km. Oh, I am now based in Italy for my sins and the residual prices here are much higher than blighty.:eek:
It had pulley issues and pulling to the right, so either suspension issues or bad repairs since noticed some front nearside respray.

OK, to the 2 in question, both drove well both again, both 2002 silver FMBSH one at 145k km and the other 85k km. But, both did not perform as I expected on acceleration. Now, I am used to high power cars since I have a TVR Griffith toy thing! The urge was not as I expected on kickdown. the 145k one had a little more noticeable jerk around 1500 rpm. I was expecting a thump in the back, but only felt a strong push forward. Is it me or do I need to worry about the IC pump or SC clutch/pulley?

The jerk is a "feature". IC pump is a simple fix when it goes, and you'll know when it's gone.

I have owned two 535D M Sports and they are great great cars with well setup traction control that you don't feel. Both where mapped and went like stink. Down sides, you get between 26-32mpg max when mapped.

The jerk is a "feature". IC pump is a simple fix when it goes, and you'll know when it's gone.

My mind is set on the 85k km FMBSH one owner example with bi-colour interior, but externally it wasn't well maintained though no repairs are noticeable, all bills were kept that I saw. The only thing am worried about is the engine warning light (yellow) is always on. The guy states its an easy fix due to a simple relay. I'm of the opinion that it is the air pump in the exhaust that has gone again. I know this since in the bills was a recall letter for air pump replacement.

How easy is this to replace by DIY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom