C32 AMG vs CLK 55 AMG cabrio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dizwen

Car
C32 AMG
Just after some practical advise about how the clk 55 stacks up against the C32.

I got my c32 for the big boot and two small kids. Well the kids are bigger and i feel like a change. A nice fast drop top to replace the C32? I think the clk C55 cabrio will do nicely.

The C32 has never let me down and has been a fantastic car. I know all the pitfalls with the car (I.C. pump, click behind dash etc...) but what issues does the clk have?

I know the 5.5l engine is strong and is as thirsty as the 3.2l but what about everything else?

Thanks in advance!

My CLK55 has had very little go wrong in the 2.5 years of ownership apart from engine/gearbox oil seal leak and the plastic runner in the middle of the top cover hinges which brake (as well as the stepper motor issue you mentioned). Rocker cover oil seals can weap but that's not expensive (in AMG terms:D). If looking at an early one watch out for Valeo radiator problems.

My CLK55 has had very little go wrong in the 2.5 years of ownership apart from engine/gearbox oil seal leak and the plastic runner in the middle of the top cover hinges which brake (as well as the stepper motor issue you mentioned). Rocker cover oil seals can weap but that's not expensive (in AMG terms:D). If looking at an early one watch out for Valeo radiator problems.

Steve in terms of Valeo what sort of date are we looking at for Merc to have fixed this rad issue?
Sorry for the momentary de rail.:thumb:

Tony

Not sure when, this forum should be able to give more detail somewhere but I think 54 plate onwards were ok?

I wouldn't replace a C32 with a CLK55 cab personally.

The C32 is faster in a straight line and power delivery is much better.

As you say the C32 has not let you down so keep it unless you're going for a 63.

I'm not keen on the CLK cab, if it was a 63 then yes :)

I miss my C32, that was a beast.

I'm keeping an eye out for a 53/04 reg C32 with low miles.

I'll be buying one again no doubt and just make it the cleanest C32 in the country.

My C32 has the rust worm on the rear arches, front arches and the boot lid. It's a great car and is mechanically sound (had the stepper motors done last year and a new IC pump too) it's just looking abit tatty for my high standards of how I want the car to look.

I'm looking at spending 1.5k to get the body work the way I want. Well, if i save that cash, sell the 32, add a few grand I can get a newer AMG without the bloody rust!

The clk55 seems like a good car to swap to...less rust...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom