C32 AMG vs M3 vs M5 vs RSwhatever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rushscored4

Car
C32 AMG Estate, Range Rover 4.6HSE
I've recently bought a 2001 C32 AMG estate and I am amazed by it's awesome engine and gearbox! I traded in an E46 330Ci convertible which was quite quick and I drove quite a few other cars such as an M3 convertible, M5 saloon and the new 5 series Beemer but when I tried the C32 I was blown away.

What other car gives you the practicality of a 5 door estate with over 350 BHP, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and 0-100 in under 11 seconds (according to Autocar)? Those figures are quicker than the M5 and even an RS6. And the power is there at all revs from the moment you fire it up. The M3 was very disappointing on a 30 minute test drive as it took 20 minutes to warm up. I didn't think it offered much better performance than the 330Ci to be honest. The M5s were nice but pretty lumpy at low speeds whereas I think the C32 drives brilliantly at all speeds.

The only criticisms I have is the interior is a bit too dull (all black) and plasticky (I believe the impending face lift improves this) and mine has a poor spec (no Comand, Parktronic, etc). But I only paid £3.5k plus my 2002 330Ci and the AMG has just over 20T miles on the clock! :eek: And hopefully Steve the Dutch fella can retrofit a Comand system for me. I've just bought a reg number off eBay (C2 AMG) so when DVLA pull their fingers out I'll post a few pics...

Anybody else got experience of the C32 versus other cars? Any interesting articles on the web or in magazines I might have missed? I notice there's a member called 'C32 Stu' who's also had an M5 and an M3.

Excellent taste!

What else can you get for the money that gives that sort of performance with the estate practicality :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

He He
The man knows quality performance when he sees it!!! :D :D
Excellent choice M8
I have a friend with an M3 appart from its more agressive look can't see what he sees in it :confused: :confused:
Its more noisy and more bumpy gr8 track car though...
C32 = speed in style and comfort. :)

Hope you don't mind me bouncing this one back up to the top but C32 Stu probably hasn't seen it and I'd appreciate his thoughts or those of anybody else who has driven this or the C36 or C43 in comparison to either a BMW M3 or M5 or an Audi RS4 or RS6.

Has anybody else driven the C32 AMG? The estate is absolutely incredible! I drove from Manchester to Twickenham and back last weekend for the Sale Sharks vs Newcastle Falcons rugby match with four other hefty blokes and all our luggage and it still drove like a sports car!! :eek:

I'm gonna have to get a radar detector 'cos it's ridiculously quick... :) :bannana:

sym said:
Road Angel . . . with not very long left to go, just in case you are interested . . . and from a very trusted (silver car driving!) source !

Too late! The auction finished an hour ago and I was out doing my daily hour's work ... :( ;)

I take it you know the seller well, sym?? There's one called rushscored4 funnily enough...

By the way, why didn't the winning bidder just pay the "buy it now" price with free P&P and save themselves a fiver?! :crazy:

The "buy it now" disappears as soon as anybody places a bid . . - so they ended up paying more for it ! Too bad eh'.

Ah well - plenty more on there for you - or PM jimmy for details of the Snooper S4 :D

S.

@ Rushscored4:

If you want a used, but exceelent condition RA just as per the one in Sym's ad, make me an offer.

Mine has the latest firmware and GPS engine, more reliable than the earlier Road Angels.

GrahamC230K said:
@ Rushscored4:

If you want a used, but exceelent condition RA just as per the one in Sym's ad, make me an offer.

Would a fiver offend?! ;)

I have actually already got a radar detector (which I bought off eBay!) although it's one of those that goes off every time you pass a supermarket!!

I haven't used it recently because I'm using the cigarette lighter to power a PDA with TomTom sat nav (also bought off eBay!!). Can the Road Angel be "hardwired" even by a complete numpty like me? :D

rushscored4 said:
Would a fiver offend?! ;)

I have actually already got a radar detector (which I bought off eBay!) although it's one of those that goes off every time you pass a supermarket!!

I haven't used it recently because I'm using the cigarette lighter to power a PDA with TomTom sat nav (also bought off eBay!!). Can the Road Angel be "hardwired" even by a complete numpty like me? :D

A fiver will get you nowhere, but chance an offer near the end sale Sym got and you might have a deal.

With the RA you get a coiled and a straight power lead, both with cigarette adapters on the end. I have stripped the straight lead on mine so that it terminates with two wires + & - which you can wire in to a 12V feed behind your dash somewhere. As long as you make sure you use an inline fuse, you can't go wrong. If wiring back to your fuse box for a complete OEM like install is not your cup of tea, you will easily find the power feed you need behind you radio (how I did it).

So what are we replacing them with chaps? (Or have I missed a thread somewhere?)

After getting talivaned last week in North Wales :crazy: , I may have to go down this route, but the only one that appeals is the Origin B2 (and, of course, a rear-mounted RPG :D ).

Flyer said:
So what are we replacing them with chaps? (Or have I missed a thread somewhere?)

After getting talivaned last week in North Wales :crazy: , I may have to go down this route, but the only one that appeals is the Origin B2 (and, of course, a rear-mounted RPG :D ).

Ive got a b2 :) Its great

GrahamC230K said:
I have a new girlfriend.
seems like a reasonable exchange.

She has a sharp eye for speed traps or something? :)

Last edited:
Snooper S4 neo . . . it talks :D

So I take it none of you have compared a C32 against an M3 then???!!! :rolleyes: :)

By the way, Graham, I did a search on eBay and found lots of Road Angels and Snooper S4s for sale but when I typed in "girlfriend" I found some very strange items, mostly in rubber or latex! :eek: Is there something I should know? :D

rushscored4 said:
So I take it none of you have compared a C32 against an M3 then???!!! :rolleyes: :)

Yep, I did compare the 2, but obviously made a different decision - I've made some observations on them in the past, but in a nutshell I guess it's horses for courses......

Big Ed said:
Yep, I did compare the 2, but obviously made a different decision - I've made some observations on them in the past, but in a nutshell I guess it's horses for courses......

Actually, Ed, I prefer the aggressive styling of the M3 and I did consider trading my 330Ci convertible for an M3 convertible but, as I passed the big four-oh last year, I went all sensible and decided to mix power with practicality.

If you don't need 5 seats and a big boot then I reckon the M3 is probably the better all round car. But I couldn't have got my 17 stone and four hefty mates in comfort plus our luggage in a beemer soft top for the rugby last weekend. Yet I still got home from Heathrow to Manchester in 2 and a bit hours... :eek: :D

Sorry rushy - who wants to stay on topic anyway ;)

Graham, you could read *so* many things into that statement...

Are you just letting us know?

Has she made you get rid of the RA as she works for a Scamera Partnership?

Has she made you get rid of the RA as she wants you to spend the money on her (IMHO most likely ;) )?

Has she made you drive everywhere at 29.9 mph and so you no longer have a need for one?

Sym, doesn't it get a bit annoying if you have Sybil (COMAND lady) and Trinity (Snooper Neo :rolleyes: ) talking away at you at the same time?

Sybil: "As soon as possible, do a U-Turn"
Trinity: "Speed Camera: dead ahead, Speed Limit: 70, Your Speed: 98"

:)

Flyer said:
Sym, doesn't it get a bit annoying if you have Sybil (COMAND lady) and Trinity (Snooper Neo :rolleyes: ) talking away at you at the same time?

Sybil: "As soon as possible, do a U-Turn"
Trinity: "Speed Camera: dead ahead, Speed Limit: 70, Your Speed: 98"

:)

Trinity is very gutteral, and lisps a bit when she says "Check speed" . . unlike softly spoken Sybil . . . . so with the wife in the car as well . . it can be awfully confusing . . yes, but at least I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD !!!!! (now that would be a disaster !!)

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom