C32/ c55 reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Walts03

Car
I want c55 or c32
Hi all I am new on here looking at a C32 or C55 for my next car. Was really after people's reviews of them, which is best for things like equipment, common faults, tuneability and what sort of MPG could I expect from them?
Cheers Scott

I am biased here so would say go for a 55. I have an estate and love the car. Economy is not something that fits well with any AMG. Motorway munching at 70 on Cruise I have managed 27mpg. Around town I don't like to look.

The 55 engine is very robust. Most of the cost goes in tyres, suspension bushes & arms, brakes etc. Mine has proved reliable mechanically. Can't think of how I would replace it unless I go down the 63 estate route.

I had both at the same time, still have the 32.

Relibility & build quality C55
Performance & MPG C32

I can easily get over 30mpg on a run in my 32.

Handling, stock v stock i'd say the C55, the steering is more accurate and has a nicer feel to it.

If you find a late model clean 32 then go for it, mine is been amazing, not had anything major with it, it's been great fun, more so than my C55, yes it's nice to have a V8 but that Supercharged V6 does it more for me, way more responsive than the NA 55 and allot more fun.

I don't think I have it in me to sell it, took it to S.France and that was an epic drive.

a smaller Pulley & a remap would see off any C55 in a straight line.

Last edited:
Thanks for that really good to know. I do like the idea of a bit of supercharge whine with the smaller pulley. But then the rumble of a v8 would be nice too. Have seen a nice c32 on here tho can't contact the seller about it yet.:-(

I would have the 55 although I am biased towards a V8.

Love my c32 but best to get the later model as there can be problems with the older ones.....Mainly valeo rads that leak coolant into the transmission:eek:

No way the rad problem sounds bad. What sort of mileage can they both go up to. i.e what is too high mileage ?

I've not driven the 55 so can't say much for or against.

I do have a C32 which I have had for 6 months. I have to say that it is the most impressive car I have owned. I bought it to replace a stolen motor bike so wanted something that would thrill me as much as two wheels. Whilst it doesn't quite have the same thrill it's pretty close.

4.9 sec - 60 is pretty quick and that's a conservative stock figure from MB. Couple of small tunes with out changing any components can easily push up the already impressive 354bhp stock figures. This can be done for less than £500.

The biggest issue I know of is the glycol leak in to the transmission. The later models had already had modification at factory to solve this so be careful of cars pre 2004 but there are cars that have been well looked after and have already had the money spent to resolve such as mine.

I was looking at eBay today and there is a mint 02 C32 on there at the moment with a stunning 47k on the clock. Buyer was looking for £7k which is pricey but for the right car!!

Good luck with what ever you decide. There are some very knowledgable people on this site that I'm sure will advise you well.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve, it's what I enjoy about these forums loads of friendly, knowledgable people who are always willing to share it.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom