C32 camshaft failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz74

Car
C32 AMG
So my C32 AMG is sick. It suddenly ran really rough, lost compression and power and it turns out that one of the exhaust lobes on the camshaft has turned out of position. Mercedes want over £900 inc VAT for a new one, which is way more expensive than I thought it might be, or indeed what it should be!

Anyone got a spare cam kicking around? :D

I did call them and they want around £700 and 6 to 8 weeks lead time, I can't wait that long unfortunately. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet...:(

I had a read thought that earlier, it seems it's not out of the question for it to happen and mine is a 2002 model. It would seem that MB are aware that the part is flawed, because of the change of part numbers and the note that the old part number should not be used.

c32-schrick-cams specs
96646d1169481392-c32-schrick-cams-group-buy-cams.jpg

Those specs are for a modified cam I assume, so I'd need a pair which works out too costly at the moment. Apparently there is no stock in the UK or Germany for the original part, so it'll be made to order and can take up to 3 months... wonderful!

I appreciate the help Graeme, but after xmas and just paying out for a holiday, funds are tight. I can't afford to get a new pair and then add more labour to install a second cam too.

It just touched the exhaust valve, so it's bent it very slightly but I've ordered a new one anyway.

It just touched the exhaust valve, so it's bent it very slightly but I've ordered a new one anyway.

It's not right really is it, What the heck were Mb thinking ?? :confused: fingers crossed you get it sorted at a reasonable price.

Thanks mate, it's one of those times when an expensive car goes wrong! lol

Is this a common problem?, I'm possibly after a c55 or c32 estate.

No definitive answer to that one. Its a "known problem" but due to the fact these cars are pretty rare on the ground and are often modified there's very little firm data to go on.

ps if you are buying a 10year old + performance Mercedes I would be inclined to anticipate a degree of valve gear /timing problems and budget accordingly

Last edited:
It appears to be a possible problem on the 2002 models, which my one is, and it had suffered the fault and I could see the lobe for the exhaust valve on cylinder #1 had moved out of position. Why MB decided not to use a solid camshaft is beyond me and I ended up finding a used camshaft from a low mileage 2003 car in the USA and that was after a good few days searching. I also replaced quite a few parts while the car was in the workshop and along with the labour charges, it cost me just under £3200 in the end.

Wow that must have hurt,what a crazy amount all because Mercedes tried a stupid idea for a 3 cyl cam on this particular car,I am sure you have a great C320 AMG but that bill must be about half what the car is worth,good job you have just been on holiday,after that sort of bill you feel like you want to get away but have no funds,I know it is no fun getting a big bill but do you know where that engine was built in Germany at a place called
BAD CANNSTATT (CAMSHAT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom