C32 engine coolant loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neil Mackay

Car
C32 AMG Estate
Morning all! So I have recently had to top up the coolant levels on the C32 and the loss is very gradual, over a few weeks rather than days or minutes. I haven't taken the inlet plenums off yet as I assume there's a gasket in them id have to replace even for just a quick inspection. I am expecting the intercooler core to be leaking, so just out of interest does anyone know the likely cost for replacement? I expect it's an MB dealer part only as I can't find any aftermarket alternatives! I will get the system pressure checked aswell at some point to rule out a nice quick cheep fix as I'm never that lucky!

The two possible sinister coolant leaks on these are the Valeo rad into the gearbox and the chargecooler core you have mentioned. The cooler core is an expensive part - close to £1k last time I bought one. The plenum gasket is a metal one, and although should be replaced, you'll get away with reusing it if you want to. The problem will be obvious once you lift the plenum. Another tell tale is a lot of steam from the exhaust on first start in the morning.

gazz said:
The two possible sinister coolant leaks on these are the Valeo rad into the gearbox and the chargecooler core you have mentioned. The cooler core is an expensive part - close to £1k last time I bought one. The plenum gasket is a metal one, and although should be replaced, you'll get away with reusing it if you want to. The problem will be obvious once you lift the plenum. Another tell tale is a lot of steam from the exhaust on first start in the morning.

Hmmmm that's what I feared! Could be time to get shot of it!!!

How difficult is it to get the top off the plenums? Is it an airbox and y inlet out job?

Airbox one side off. You might get to the jubilee clip that holds the rubber pipe onto the plenum without taking the Y inlet off. Torx bolts hold the plenum down. Be careful of debris entering as you lift it.

Looks like it will have to wait for a few dry days lol! I'm fed up getting soaked being under cars!

Hmmmm that's what I feared! Could be time to get shot of it!!!

That's exactly what I did when mine started leaking.....don't think it ever got repaired after I sold it so it went back on ebay a few weeks later.

Have you noticed it using more fuel too? mine got really thirsty towards the end.

Airbox one side off. You might get to the jubilee clip that holds the rubber pipe onto the plenum without taking the Y inlet off. Torx bolts hold the plenum down. Be careful of debris entering as you lift it.

I sucked up all the crud around the chamber with a hoover before I took it off.

good luck.

marty359 said:
That's exactly what I did when mine started leaking.....don't think it ever got repaired after I sold it so it went back on ebay a few weeks later. Have you noticed it using more fuel too? mine got really thirsty towards the end. I sucked up all the crud around the chamber with a hoover before I took it off. good luck.

It doesn't seem any thirstier than usual to be honest then again only really do short journeys! It's always been steamy in the mornings so no real changes there. It's odd as for weeks it will stay the same level then drop! It's supposed to be ok weather at the weekend so I'll carefully have a look at the plenums! There's an American aftermarket cooler that's about £600 so if push comes to shove may look at one of those. It's a real shame if it is the cooler as I won't get another car that's so practical with that power for the money (mines an estate)

At the end of the day it's going to cost you more than a grand to change cars. If there is nothing else wrong with it, it's probably worth the outlay. Difficult one to call. :)

gazz said:
At the end of the day it's going to cost you more than a grand to change cars. If there is nothing else wrong with it, it's probably worth the outlay. Difficult one to call. :)

Yeah that's the thought that's been crossing my mind :)

Big question! Do I risk buying a second hand unit that's not been pressure tested, from a no issue low mileage car.......or replace with new.......the difference could be £1k+......!

Neil Mackay said:
Big question! Do I risk buying a second hand unit that's not been pressure tested, from a no issue low mileage car.......or replace with new.......the difference could be £1k+......!

Gota be worth a punt I reckon :) with no leaks visible, steamy in the morning, certainly some aroma from the exhaust......but struggling with the bolts on the plenum so don't want to Sheer anything off! If it's not the cooler I'll have a spare lol

Fair amount of work if you've got to do it all a second time...

gazz said:
Fair amount of work if you've got to do it all a second time...

Yes that's the current quandary I find myself in!! Hmmmm could be lucky or could end up worse!!

What are people's view on this? Outlet from a potential replacement charge cooler.......would you say it may have a leaking core on the right side where the amber colour gunk is......?? image-2532414238.jpg

Last edited:
I'm opting for a speedriven upgrade to the garrett oem cooler! Darn sight cheeper too! £600 compared to £1100!! 40% more efficient aswell! Just takes a month to build and shop from the states!!!

Managed to get access into the plenum and this is the photo I got! Amber browny sludge on the inlets.......is this expected or should it be completely clean!?

Advice please!!

image-2946733833.jpg

Looks simular to what I had, although mine was green as my coolant had a dye in it to trace the leak. No idea if it should be completely clean though.

marty359 said:
Looks simular to what I had, although mine was green as my coolant had a dye in it to trace the leak. No idea if it should be completely clean though.

I was expecting some hint of blue as my coolant in blue! Bit confused now in case it's not the intercooler!

So with any luck in a few weeks time this bad boy will be getting fitted......

image-3229650529.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom