C32 front suspension knocks under braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackscooby

Car
W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
Yet another C32 issue !

Under braking on rough surfaces (say on a catseye, braking zone markings etc) the front suspension appears to "knock".
It's only evident on rough surfaces, and under braking. Rough with no braking it's fine.
The design of the top mounts looks as though it has some lateral movement which may explain the knock especially on broken surfaces.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Mark

could be way of the mark...but in a previous car of mine, the ABS would kick in on rough surfaces giving a shudder effect from the front of the car...

anti-roll (torsion) bar bushes or link rods( the u/j s go) a possibility? see http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...660716.667&CT=F&cat=66U&SID=32&SGR=060&SGN=02
might only experience it under braking due to weight transfer to the front? I guess broken spring might be another possibility, but unlikely with a car your age-- mind you these speed bumps can be lethal if you hit em quick? :eek: worn engine mounts another possibility? I'll stop now before you get too depressed.;)

Last edited:
Would appear that there is a TSB for exactly this issue.

P-32_25-07 010901 Suspension - Front Axle Thumping Noise on Rough Roads

blackscooby said:

had mine done not so long ago...
Turnt out that the upper anti roll bar busches were the cause, fixed now for £23

blackscooby said:

had mine done not so long ago...
Turnt out that the upper anti roll bar busches were the cause, fixed now for £23 @ mb

£23?? Including labour?? How come??

Were they the modified design? I had new anti-roll bar bushes fitted on mine under warranty as there was a really loud squeek - and I mean really loud - about a foot or so ahead of the dashboard when the weather was dry. Tech told me they dry out and leak lubricant. When damp they're fine as moisture offers some lubrication, but a bit of hot dry weather and they squeak. Apparently have a redesigned sheath or boot on them to prevent this?

Spoke with the Dealer about the suspension knock. Was informed that this knocking was the ABS cutting in.

**obnoxious Comment removed**

Last edited:
Pre 2003 W203s were notorious for suspension issues and knocking noise was common on them. The suspension parts were then modified.

Issue resolved, anti-rollbar bushes replaced under warrenty :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom