C32 gearbox overfilled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

0ptic

Car
2002 C32 AMG, 1999 w202 C200 Esprit
Hi All

When I bought the C32 (from small independent garage) I asked that the autobox fluid and filter be replaced. They did this and apart from the torque converter lockup thing that everyone of these appears to have it's been OK. As the weather has got colder recently though, I have started to get a strange shift problem that clears after the first mile or two, I guess as the fluid warms up? It feels like the TC is locking and unlocking, or the box is changing up and down at low speed or light throttle. I had a gearbox dip stick I bought for my W202 (722.6 box also) and I dipped it today after taking it for a good warm up drive. The level is a good 1cm over full.

Two questions for the transmission gurus here. 1) Could this cause the problems I'm having? (why only when cold though), and 2) Any idea what else this could be a sign of if it's still the same once I get some of the fluid out?

I did try to put a small plastic tube down the dip stick tube to suck out the fluid today, but it wont get past one of the bends about a foot down the tube!! I guess I'll let the garage put it on the ramp and drain some from the bottom unless anyone has solved this little problem before. Would cold fluid aerate worse than warm if it's getting stired up by the gears?

Cheers

0ptic

I would suggest the first thing to check is that the large gearbox electric plug is not leaking oil past its seals which then makes its way, via the loom, into the gearbox ecu......

For any sign of this, you would first need to unplug it and see if any oil drips from it, plenty of info on this subject on these forums.

I would be very surprised if the fluid level is your issue here.
The 722.6 tranny will change fine with a little too much oil in

Umm... Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the input :( I'll get some fluid taken off next week and keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom