C32 handling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
I promise not to ask about snow tyres, but I am interested in how "chuckable" the C32 is, particularly since the roads are so greasy at the moment. Does it drift or oversteer predictably or throw you off the road with contempt!? My nerves are slightly shot from a 50:50 moment at very high speed on the motorway before Christmas where with no warning at all I found myself sliding about 100m or so down the road with full reverse lock on (wife, kids & luggage in the car) and by luck as much as skill found myself still alive and pointing the right way. My sin - a slight lift off the throttle while looking in the (frozen) mirror to move back in a lane after passing. :eek:

Don't get me wrong - I like a lively car and love chucking things around tracks and occasionally the odd open road. I don't love things that will kill me out of the blue! This is especially relevant since my wife will be driving it all week long until I can play with it at the weekend!

So two questions really - how well behaved is it for a "normal" driver who won't be pushing it at all; and how much fun is it for a more enthusiastic driver who's plenty happy with a bit of movement, as long as it's intentional!? How is it on slow speed bends - does it understeer and feel heavy and cumbersome or turn in nicely and allow for a little tail wagging? :cool:

It isn't. It is great in straight lines (if the traction control allows you to get going), but finesse, control, plantedness around corners are not part of the deal. Others mileage I am sure will vary, but having come to own one after a Porsche Boxster I thought the handling was positively feeble.

I'd have to disagree with the post above. However I've never driven a Porsche, but as its not a 4 door saloon I can only compare with other 4 door saloons I have driven and my experiences.

In good conditions the C32 is brilliant on UK roads. Its soft enough that it doesn't break your spine, but yet sporty so when you do give it the beans its controllable and fun. The power is manageable.

However on the flip side in bad weather if you drive it like you've just stole it you are going to an early grave. But thats true with all cars.

Porsches are designed as sports cars where as the C32 is a different beast. I too went from a Boxster to the C32. It doesn't have the same feedback as a porker but you can still have fun in one. the steering is weighted nicely and as long as you know how to feed the power in you can get alot from the car. slow in fast out and the tail will wag!

My wife uses it to go to work (normal driver?) and loves it. easy car to drive at normal speeds.

Last edited:
I agree with both above posts.

Thanks for the replies. So the back end is easy to tame under moderate poke out of corners? Does the traction control ruin the party or only if you overcook it? Can you totally disable it? How about lift-off oversteer (something you Porsche drivers are sure to be familiar with!!)? ;)

If you do push it too hard, does it basically understeer, or throw a fit and pitch you off the road!? With the smaller front tyres, I was thinking perhaps the former ..

I've never had under steer only over when pushed hard and if you use the manual option and change gear yourself you can have loads of manageable fun with over steer, I must point out that this also has alot to do with the driver not just the car as must rear wheel drive cars can be driven in this manner. (Just not in bad weather, I won't be responsible for your death).

Sound v odd to me.

My C43's and now my W211 E500 are smothered with electronics to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Can't say any of them have ever stepped out except under extreme provocation or ice/snow.

Under normal driving true, but we're not talking about normal driving. Also you can turn ESP off. Totally off (includes ABS).

Haha .. yes, I shouldn't make it sound like I'm an unhinged loon! I do err on the side of caution in poor weather of course, but conversely, on certain open roads (or even roundabouts!), it can be easier to "play" when wet as less momentum/general energy is involved! :)

All the driver aids in the world can't defeat physics (cold summer tyres, ice, sudden weight transfer, relatively-lightly loaded read wheels etc).

When Evo first tested the C32 their conclusion was that it was more adjustable than a C43 but "still curiously inert" - ie still too nannied by all the electrical safety blankets for their style of driving.

I owned one for a while, while in a straight line its speed was very very impressive, it didn't really leave me feeling confident about it's cornering/ handling ability at speed. Mid range acceleration was mental :)

I'd have to disagree with the post above. However I've never driven a Porsche, but as its not a 4 door saloon I can only compare with other 4 door saloons I have driven and my experiences.

In good conditions the C32 is brilliant on UK roads. Its soft enough that it doesn't break your spine, but yet sporty so when you do give it the beans its controllable and fun. The power is manageable.

However on the flip side in bad weather if you drive it like you've just stole it you are going to an early grave. But thats true with all cars.

I agree,

C32 AMG's are great great cars and handle well enough for the road and will eat more or less anything on the road and round the bends it doesnt get the credit it deserves it handles well maybe not as balanced as a Boxster or dare I say an M3 but it's allot more comfy than both and in a straight line it will munch both!

It's a shame (unless I'm being thick!) that there don't appear to be any decent (and English) video reviews of the C32. Have Top Gear/5th Gear really never tested one?

It isn't. It is great in straight lines (if the traction control allows you to get going), but finesse, control, plantedness around corners are not part of the deal. Others mileage I am sure will vary, but having come to own one after a Porsche Boxster I thought the handling was positively feeble.

Mixed views but im with Mr Morgan on this one, straight line speed its very fast and stable and not too bad on fast sweeping bends but as for twisty roads mine really doesnt give me enough feedback to trust it so the ESP never really gets turned off.

Now the wifes Mini Cooper on the other hand is great fun :rock:

Wet and greasy roads are not much fun but then again they aren't in anything. If you are going to slide you can do it in any car.

I have found my C32 good to drive on twisty roads in the peak district and Wales. The 1 series might be more chuckable but not as comfortable.

For a family of five i would find the boxster a bit cramped and most other Porsches except Cayenne and Panamera. The C32 gives me fast, affordable motoring for all the family.

Wet and greasy roads are not much fun but then again they aren't in anything. If you are going to slide you can do it in any car.

I have found my C32 good to drive on twisty roads in the peak district and Wales. The 1 series might be more chuckable but not as comfortable.

For a family of five i would find the boxster a bit cramped and most other Porsches except Cayenne and Panamera. The C32 gives me fast, affordable motoring for all the family.

Well, greasy roads are definitely no fun! Wet roads ... hmmm I've had some tail happy fun in an MX5 and an Accord Type R is about as much fun as is possible with front wheels providing the drive!

I guess I'm more concerned that it's competent at least and doesn't have any nasty tricks hidden up its sleeves. Two examples of cars I would never knowingly let the missus out in the rain .. any turbo Porsche and any TVR! Come to think of it .. bugger the rain! :crazy:

I find 222bhp of ST220 pleasantly quick, but rarely excitingly so; and the handling relatively poor. Since a replacement for it will need to be a 4 door family saloon with large boot that's reliable and not retarded with mpg, the C32 has raised its head. Exciting yet tameable ... hopefully :thumb:

I can drift my car on damp roads. I should think it would be no problem in a C32.

Again its alot to do with the driver and how it is driven. I have had controlled drift, but that can be achieved in almost all rear wheel drive cars with 200+ bhp.

But bottom line is you shouldn't be thinking about doing it on public roads. Have a track day and enjoy.

Going from a ST200 to a C32 will blow your mind.

I haven't owned mine for too long so most of my experience has been on damp (and icy!) roads.

Moving from my Focus ST the main difference is the RWD aspect - in the grease the tail will come out whereas in the FWD ST it's either manageable understeer or you just back off and the front tucks in.

What I have learned is simply to balance the throttle in the corners and only progresively apply the power when pretty much facing straight again out of the corner. Doing this I find it safe and fast, yet if you want to wag the tail you just apply a little bit more power.

At the end of the day, 354bhp and all that torque is never going to keep the back in if you plant it round a corner.

As for the wife and kids - my kids love it and my wife is happy to drive it. There is a 'C' mode on the gearbox to make things a little less excitable if your wife would prefer that. I haven't regretted buying it one bit - even the running costs are a lot less than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom