C32 head gasket failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz74

Car
C32 AMG
Hi guys, my C32 would appear to have head gasket failure :( It is using a bit of coolant and there is yellowy sludge on the inside of the oil cap. So, does anyone know what sort of bill I'm going to be faced with? Like a lot of people, money is tight and I could really do without this, but don't think I have a choice. So how much pain will I suffer? :)

Head gasket failure is exceedingly rare on the m112 and m113 engines. I would check for leaking from the charge cooler core underneath the supercharger. You can do this by removing one of the plenum chambers (with AMG written on it) and looking for evidence of coolant in the airways and over the backs of the inlet valves. It can seep through past the piston rings when the engine is off and get into the oil this way.
I had this very fault with my C32, and have also seen an SLK32 with the same problem.

Could also be the oil cooler on the side of the oil filter housing, but i've never seen a faulty one of those.

Last edited:
I will give that a shot, thanks for the reply :)

This is what my old C32 looked like after taking the covers off :( No sludge under the filler cap but it was using water on and off for months. The left sides easier to get off than the right.

We have one that we look after that is showing signs of head gasket failure. The charger is not leaking but number 6 is misfiring and has a nice clean piston.

Marty, thanks for the picture. Did you re-use the gasket I can see there or did you put a new one in? I'm assuming that where I can see the brown sludge, it should be fairly clean and dry?

Thanks for you help everyone :)

Always a new gasket.

If you are unsure. See if you can borrow a bore scope to have a look under the charger.

Thanks for your help mate, it's much appreciated. If it does turn out that the head gaskets seem ok and it's looking more like the charge cooler is leaking, is this still going to be an expensive fix? I'm just trying to brace myself for the worst! :D

Wonderful. Plus much labour I imagine, bugger it! lol Thanks for you help Olly

Plus you will need top and bottom inlet gaskets and the gasket between the charger and the cooler. (If it is leaking)

Marty, thanks for the picture. Did you re-use the gasket I can see there or did you put a new one in? I'm assuming that where I can see the brown sludge, it should be fairly clean and dry?

Thanks for you help everyone :)

Yep I used the same gasket. As soon as I opened it up and saw the sludge I put the cover back on and sold it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom