C32 Transmission Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neil Mackay

Car
C32 AMG Estate
A per the title, if I was to supply the fluids and parts needed for a gearbox oil change including the torque convertor to my indi, what would I need?? I'm going to supply the engine oil as I can get the Mobil Merc spec oil for £30 for 5ltrs so for the 8ltrs needed I'd save £35+ on the indi supplying!

Plus would it be worth replacing the electro plate with all the electronic bits at the same time? (Don't have any iffy gear change issues more a preventative maintenance approach and does the C55 plate fit the C32)

Thanks in advance!

I've just changed the electro plate today with a new plug as fluid had worked its way in. MB Stealer £610.
So much for sealed units!!

I've just changed the electro plate today with a new plug as fluid had worked its way in. MB Stealer £610.
So much for sealed units!!

If you say you
Don't have any iffy gear change issues more a preventative maintenance approach
why change the plate?

The only thing that goes wrong with the electroplate is the speed sensor. The contacts sag. No need to change it

neilrr said:
AT filter, gasket & fluid?

It's the amount of fluid I'm after really with respect to the box and tc! And probably a stupid question but are they the same fluids or different??

It should take around 8 litres. So buy x2 five litre cans then you will have some top up. You need oil that meets mb 236.10 spec.
If you google search that sheet number all compatible fluids will come up ;)

If you say you

What's that supposed to mean Neil :dk:

It was the speed sensor that had gone but I changed the complete plate as preventative (As Neil mentioned) due to the common issues on the 722.6 Transmission unit

What's that supposed to mean Neil :dk:

It was the speed sensor that had gone but I changed the complete plate as preventative (As Neil mentioned) due to the common issues on the 722.6 Transmission unit

You have to change the complete plate as the sensor is built into it

The code was speed sensor but the plug was contaminated so asked for all to be changed.
Car is running sweet again, unlike yesterday stuck in 3rd gear :(

WG M-B said:
It should take around 8 litres. So buy x2 five litre cans then you will have some top up. You need oil that meets mb 236.10 spec. If you google search that sheet number all compatible fluids will come up ;)

I assume the same fluid does the box and torque converter?

The code was speed sensor but the plug was contaminated so asked for all to be changed.
Car is running sweet again, unlike yesterday stuck in 3rd gear :(

I know Chris but the plugs are contaminated due to the pilot bush seals leaking. These do not really cause issues/ fault codes. When they do for some reason it's the tc lockout circuit that usually throws fault codes.
Despite all the rumours oil will not cause issues with the flow of electrical current. The electroplate is the shift master in the box and it spends its life swimming in oil !!!!!!!!
You just had a failed speed sensor which integral to the electroplate

If the pilot bush O rings fail then the ATF will wick its way up the electric wire harness and into the TCU which then causes all sorts of problems - weird shifting and limp mode. The pilot bush should be replaced with the transmission service.

I am wondering how much labour cost to do the gearbox oil including the torque convertor and Oil & filter change in your local indi? Cheers.

EricManchester said:
I am wondering how much labour cost to do the gearbox oil including the torque convertor and Oil & filter change in your local indi? Cheers.
Just booked mine in with the indi! He's charging £63.36 inc vat for the ATF change but I've supplied the service kit and ATF!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom