C32 valeo radiator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newt888

Car
C32 AMG
I have read many threads "condeming" valeo rads on the 2002 c32 AMG
I have a 2002 c32 with a valeo rad done 120000 miles and gear box feels fine.. I'm concerned about it , should I change it for a behr radiator and change transmission oil to be safe?
Thoughts please,
Is the problem actually common ? How many people have actually experienced it?

Don't know how many but I am one of them! The issue is really the potential to cause major damage to your gearbox/torque convertor. Very expensive to repair. Luckily I caught mine in time so just replaced the radiator and all is now good but would suggest as preventative maintenance either doing the same (as I had planned to do anyway) or fitting a separate oil cooler for the gearbox such that if your rad did fail it wouldn't cause any major damage in that area.

When you say caught in time , can you explain in more detail? Did it start playing up so you changed oil and rad and fixed problem? Thanks

No I took it in for a service and ATF change and asked my Indy to send a sample of ATF off for testing to check for the presence of coolant. He rang me later a couple of hours later to inform me there was no need as you could see globules of the stuff in the drained ATF. I hadn't had any symptoms at this point so it obviously hadn't been in there long enough to do a great deal of damage but it meant that I changed the rad straight away instead of when I'd planned to do it at a later date.

think I'll get ATF changed and see what it looks like first

Good idea, would get a sample tested for presence of coolant. Won't cost a lot and will give you some peace of mind if it confirms the rad is still in tact.

Checked my oil and tested for glycol ( have another thread ref gearbox oil)
Test were negative,
now have a predicament , do change the rad or not?
My thoughts are , while I know the rad is ok is it better to fit a new one to prevent further damage, ? If I now change the gearbox fluid and then the rad goes I'd have to change fluid again....
Prevention is the cure??

I would change it because it is a known faulty part and will fail sooner or later. Look at it like this, you could say you are lucky that it hasn't failed yet and by changing it you can be sure that there will not be any glycol contamination happening in the future either.

I would change it because it is a known faulty part and will fail sooner or later. Look at it like this, you could say you are lucky that it hasn't failed yet and by changing it you can be sure that there will not be any glycol contamination happening in the future either.

My thoughts exactly, I'm in the trade a behr radiator will cost me 75 plus vat , I'm looking at it as a "service" item
It's probably been changed and maybe later valeo ones were ok .?

i'm no expert but I think a C32 is relatively rare and should that go wrong the repair costs would be far higher than if it were a std car. If you can get the work done i'd suggest going for it better safe than sorry as its failure leads to collateral damage.

There would be no labour cost , just the cost of the rad ,
It is a known problem , if it does fail it could damage the box and that would be bad !
Fair enough there is no issue now and the glycol test was negative but I don't want to change the oil (due) only to have to fit a rad and another load of oil in a few months ,
Obviously there is the fact that the current rad may never go wrong.. . . . .

My thoughts exactly, I'm in the trade a behr radiator will cost me 75 plus vat , I'm looking at it as a "service" item

£75 for peace of mind. Not a bad deal. You may just want to stretch the C32's legs a little and that may just put too much pressure onto the rad.

Go on change it.

The later Valeo were ok and had addressed the leak issue but i woudnt know how to identify the difference. :dk: Maybe check the history/receipts/contact dealership where it was maintained?

At that price its not too bad so i would change it for peace of mind.

The later Valeo were ok and had addressed the leak issue but i woudnt know how to identify the difference. :dk: Maybe check the history/receipts/contact dealership where it was maintained?

At that price its not too bad so i would change it for peace of mind.

Been changed , it doesn't look original to me , so could it be a problem free version?........:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom