c320 2009 should i buy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isg

Car
C320 cdi w204
Hello All,

after opinions re the 7 speed box on the c320 cdi 2009.

any comments :

1. i see some comments re the box "hunting" for gears.

2. Some comment re the box changing up too quickly

3. How do you tell what software the box has , if you can without a diagnostic machine.

4. and one last q, prob will not go down too well around here, should i get an BMW 330d ?

Thanks all.

Ian.

I've the same box in my 2007 SLK, its faultless and efficient. Early ones needed an oil change which wasn't in the service schedule. No worries with the 09 box.

Don't be a wuss, buy a 335d:)

Opinions on the early 7 speed boxes were variable. My impression is that they are now well sorted and perform very well.

I hate the 7g box with a passion, slow to change gear, jerky and poorly spaced gears.

The C class and the engine are great cars, not so sure re the box. Try one and also a 335d and make up your mind.

PS re the above, I have an early one but every 7g car I've driven (4 in total and 3 made after 2008) has had some sort of a shifting problem

I have this car, and I agree with *** that the box is a let down at times. The problem is that BMW's 330's are pretty common and dull unless specced to the hilty. Go for the Benz the V6 is a cracking unit.

Agreed AVOID AVOID AVOID unless you have deep pockets and are prepared to spend inordinate amounts of time getting it sorted. yes there are good ones but the majority are sh*t

Drive a BMW 335d and you won't go anywhere near a MB 320 they are as different as night and day and the BMW Autobox actually works how it's supposed to :thumb:

Drive a BMW 335d and you won't go anywhere near a MB 320 they are as different as night and day and the BMW Autobox actually works how it's supposed to :thumb:

That's until the turbos blow or the ecu packs up or the alloy wheels crack....
Two sides to every story and that Ian..;)

I find the 7 speed gearbox really good, you just have to learn how to drive it. :thumb:

That's until the turbos blow or the ecu packs up or the alloy wheels crack....
Two sides to every story and that Ian..;)

I find the 7 speed gearbox really good, you just have to learn how to drive it. :thumb:

I agree and that's why I said there are good ones but rare, turbo's on BM are a relatively cheap fix compared to MB and if you let it idle before you switch off you'll never need a turbo Alloy wheel cracks now covered under warranty on run flats (which I would never have anyway) and not aware BM are more ECU prone than any other.

I can honestly say I can put my hand on my heart and say I have never driven a 7g box that has worked correctly, the point is you shouldn't have to learn how to drive it, it should learn how you want to drive it and that is why I never have automatic cars I want the car to do what I want not what it wants

I do take your point Lee but a 335d is a whole heap different to a 320cdi IMHO

Every modern car suffers with issues of some description i'm sure there are unhappy 330/335 owners out there.

At the end of the day it all boils down to personal choice.

I am disappointed that a car that is meant to be engineered by one the worlds finest manafacturers occasionally pee's me off with the gearbox not performing as it should, however every other element of C320 ticks all my boxes! And for the money I wouldn't be seen in anything else :rock:

Every modern car suffers with issues of some description i'm sure there are unhappy 330/335 owners out there.

At the end of the day it all boils down to personal choice.

I am disappointed that a car that is meant to be engineered by one the worlds finest manafacturers occasionally pee's me off with the gearbox not performing as it should, however every other element of C320 ticks all my boxes! And for the money I wouldn't be seen in anything else :rock:

I think you are quite right and there are probably people out there who think I'm mad owning a CLK with a manual box but I love it and it's never let me down yet, but I'm sure there are others with a different experience.

You are spot on it's all about personal choice and what ticks the box for the individual :thumb:

I agree and that's why I said there are good ones but rare, turbo's on BM are a relatively cheap fix compared to MB and if you let it idle before you switch off you'll never need a turbo Alloy wheel cracks now covered under warranty on run flats (which I would never have anyway) and not aware BM are more ECU prone than any other.

I can honestly say I can put my hand on my heart and say I have never driven a 7g box that has worked correctly, the point is you shouldn't have to learn how to drive it, it should learn how you want to drive it and that is why I never have automatic cars I want the car to do what I want not what it wants

I do take your point Lee but a 335d is a whole heap different to a 320cdi IMHO
I agree with your point re the 335d against the C320 CDi is a lot different, it all comes down to preference in how you like to drive. To be fair, the comparative BMW is the 330d.

I think if it wasn't for the 335 petrol and diesel models, BMW would sell more M3's.

I referred to the ecu's just through the problems that some of my friends have had with them, maybe it's just a coincidence that the two 535d, one X5 3.0d and a 335d that they had were problematic.

Like you say though, it's personal choice and what you want/need from the car that matters.

I'd still take the Merc though...:p

Can't believe some of the comments about the 7g tronic box.

I have a C320CDi bought from a year old, now just over three years old and I love it. Never had any problems - gear changes are smooth and kickdown is quick. You can also use the paddles if you want.

My car must be one of the very rare ones mentioned above. The ones that you should AVOID AVOID AVOID!

I don't want a car where I have to keep pushing a clutch pedal in and changing gear.

Last edited:
I have a new (2011) C220cdi with a 7 speed Auto box and this the smoothest auto box car I've ever owned.

Previous was a 2010 ML300 with the same gearbox, it was awful and hesitant.

Has something changed with the facelift? The new car is simply light years ahead of any previous ones I've driven.

I have one of the first C320 CDis and must say the box is fine. No problems -yet - smooth changes. Wish I could say the same about inlet port cut off valves. Am on my 4th - yes 4th. Now have a letter from MB saying the most I will ever have to pay is 10%. Front crankshaft bearing replaced. Now an engine rattle being investigated Monday.

Nice car though. :D. Drive it & BMW and choose. All depends on what you're looking for in a car.

PS. When my car was in I had a W204 C250 CDi. I did like the engine but found the 5 speed agricultural in comparison to my 7. Apologies to Ian & Steve who prefer the 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom