C320 CDI Cold starting troubles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandgrounder007

Car
W302 C320 cdi
Hi all, I love my Merc, it's my first and I'm completely smitten. However it's gotten reluctant to start, the colder it the more reluctant to start the car is. For the previous 4-5 weeks the glow-plug light has been staying on for about a minute or so, but was starting beautifully. I do have a little mechanical ability but I (hopefully) know when to back away. I've fitted six new heater plugs which hasn't helped. The engine req a lot of cranking, which leaves me concerned for the life of the starter motor, squirting diesel into the cylinders increasing the compression and eventually starting with a large cloud of smoke as the excessive unburnt fuel is burnt off. Is it possible the heater plug relay timer thingy is kaput?
Sorry for the question, I've tried searching for the problem but couldn't find any previous threads, however I find it difficult to believe I'm the only person to experience these symptoms.
Also I've read posts discussing turbo seals and actuators, what's the problem with them? I'd rather be proactive the reactive to trouble, especially expensive ones.
I've only owned the car since early January and I'm on a steep learning curve. But it's still a beautiful car.

Thanks in advance of any help, the knowledgeable folk on this site seem particularly willing to help.

Regards, Dave S.

Sounds like the glow plug relay is knackered , 10 min job to replace (on the CLS)

A diagnostic check should confirm the above.

Kenny

Either do a search for glow plug relays, or for a member called 'Ruairiireland', sounds like a similar car and problem. I do seem to remember seeing posts on this before relating to the glow plug light on the dash flashing to indicate a problem .......... unfortunately the flesh is willing but the brain went AWOL a time ago. Good luck

Thanks for the bother of replying, I've organised a new Beru replacement relay.
Thanks again, D S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom