c320cdi Running in period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davycaslad

Car
C 320 cdi sport
Hi ALL

Hopefully next week i will be taking delivery of my new c class 320 cdi sport and i was wondering what the runing in period is on this car ... i have heard it is 1000 miles is this right ?

And can anyone tell me is there any sorts of insurances worth taking from mercedes i.e tyre insurance and this kind of thing.

This has been debated a number of times and some say do run it in and some say don't.
With a CDi I would say don't bother as it doesn't rev very high and doesn't waste much energy anyway so the piston rings are not likely to overheat.
You will have to go very fast to over rev a 320 Cdi anyway so it's not really an issue. 3000rpm is over 100mph in top gear.

A bigger risk is being too gentle and suffering bore glazing as a result. Find a nice steep hill and give it full power up it.

W204 C320cdi. NICE :D :D

I'd maybe say for the 1st 500 miles no greater than 3k revs, but after that try not to break 4k RPM athough the occasionally foray beyond it to 4500rpm is encouraged (which co-incidentally is redline area on diesel cars).

Apart from too much revs, labouring is also bad for an engine during any running-in phase - not that this wiil be an issue with your car and its autobox.

I would say 3000 revs for 1st 1000 miles, building up to 4000 revs for next 1000 miles, after 3000 miles you want to be getting close to the red line at least 2-3 times/week to clean the crap out :D .

The problem with the C320CDI is finding places to rev this much without losing your licence! Uphill slip roads onto fast m-ways/dual carriageways or uphill dual carriage-ways from roundabouts are about your only chance!

Drive as much as possible on hilly roads so the engine drives the car and as important the car drives the engine (as when going downhill). If driving on say a motorway lift foot off the throttle every now and then and let the car cruise for a few minutes (traffic and conditions allowing of course). If a manual never let the engine struggle always change down in plenty of time as already mentioned as was keeping under 3000 revs.

I was worried thou with the paddle gear change i would always be messing with them and changing up and down.

Over the past couple of months i have tried many off my friends cars .

I tried an S5 audi and it has a small display and it shows optimal gear and it ssemed to me always really high. I was driving just down a regular road and it showed 6gear was needed which in the car i have now i would be in 3rd, same thing happened when i was in a M3 with smg box is it me or these types of gear boxes that never like any revs, surely this is bad for an engine to run round at 1 to 2k revs.

I was worried thou with the paddle gear change i would always be messing with them and changing up and down.

Over the past couple of months i have tried many off my friends cars .

I tried an S5 audi and it has a small display and it shows optimal gear and it ssemed to me always really high. I was driving just down a regular road and it showed 6gear was needed which in the car i have now i would be in 3rd, same thing happened when i was in a M3 with smg box is it me or these types of gear boxes that never like any revs, surely this is bad for an engine to run round at 1 to 2k revs.

A diesel generates its peak torque usually about 2k revs. Changing at 1.8k to 2.2k is fine and in the 320cdi C class you'd be making fairly swift progress IMO. I'd try on a cruise never exceed 2k rpm on mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom