C32amg / Clk500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Ed

Car
BMW X5 4.8is
Evening all,

Just wondered if anyone could help with any info on running or living with either a C32 AMG or a CLK500? I'm trying to decide between them (and I must admit, possibly a car from the dark side, the BMW M3:eek: )

Any feedback anyone can offer on pro's and con's of any of these would be really useful, especially the stuff a test drive doesn't reveal, e.g. servicing costs, good or bad ownership experiences, etc.

Many thanks:)

All great cars - I went with a C32 that was delivered Jan 02. It has been brilliant.

The only malfunction that has ever come up in 12000 miles has been this -

Reserve fuel - visit filling station

and that has come up a lot. It has averaged 19.9 mpg.

In truth I'm not disappointed with the mpg at all - its the fact that the performance is so addictive, and so enjoyable. If you can resist the urge to use it, you can get 23 - 24. Stop/start commuting will see 16-17mpg. A really press-on drive on open roads 14-15mpg. If you want MPG bragging rights and speed you need a CDI like Brian's.

The beauty of the C32 for me is that it can be whatever you want it to be. After a crap day at work it will glide you home, if that's what you want. On the open road, when you want it to, it will hang with and embarrass almost anything bar a real supercar.
That's a kind of versatility that the M3 lacks IMHO. The M3 may be a better trackday car, but for real world driving give me the C32 anyday.

Obviously with the cars you're looking at, there's the whole 2/4 door debate. I like the looks of the 2 door cars, but having a family (2 tall kids) I can't be doing with the hassle. Personally I'd only put up with 2 doors on a convertible.

Servicing - well its hardly any different from any other Merc at this age/mileage. As a long term prospect, I guess only time will tell.

Don't know where you live Ed, but if you're ever around Manchester let me know. You can come for a drive and watch the fuel guage go down and decide if its worth it - I think it is, and I think you will too.

Link to gallery - My C32

Guy,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I've got to say, your car looks stunning - love the wheels!!:cool:

Funny you mention the mpg related malfunction - the C32 I test drove today had exactly the same issue when I started it up - kept telling me that there was a 0 mile range and that I had better find a petrol station PDQ!! Not too bothered as such about the MPG as long as I can get a decent enough figure when cruising gently down the A34 - the rest of the time my right foot can decide how much cash it feels like burning! (my company isn't too stingy with the mileage rates either, so I'd lose my license before I actually lost money on fuel)

The M3 does seem a very thrilling car to drive, however as you say, I am a bit concerned about it's ability to provide relaxation when required. Thought that in comparision the C32 didn't FEEL as fast, however a glance at the speedo soon corrected that illusion (could be a useful factor in keeping my good lady happy:cool: ) - I see that the figures suggest it's reasonably swift!!:bannana: :bannana:

Cheers for the offer of a ride in yours - very kind of you, however living in sunny Milton Keynes I don't get up to Manchester as much as I used to - maybe be able to compare motors at a future GTG?

Think I'm going to have another look at a CLK (no kids, but do have dogs and friends, so I guess 4 doors would be better), then see about trying to find a nearly new car of my chosen one - saves a couple of grand, plus I've never been very good at waiting!

Thanks again.

I don't suppose you'll find many used CLK500's around being so new. Maybe an ex demonstrator but that probably won't save you much.

Both are lovely cars!

Slightly off topic I know, but my cousin who currently drives a C270CDi is very interested in the forthcoming C30CDi AMG.

However, all of the reviews and reports in the UK always mention this engine in the Sports Coupe only.

When doing searches on the Internet, European websites mention it being available in Saloon and Estate versions. Just wondering if anyone had heard when the Saloon is coming to the UK?

Figures look pretty good too.

231BHP
0-60 in 6.8 secs
and still managing 37MPG!

I know that the C30 AMG is available in Europe in the saloon and estate, he could always drop AMG an e-mail direct to ask them. This is what I did for my previous CLK and they were helpful (more so than what the delaership knew)

I believe there are no plans to make a right hand drive C30CDi in any form, coupe or saloon.

Originally posted by Koolvin
OT: Guy when you selling your C32?

Don't know yet - check your PMs :)

c32/clk500

Definetly go with the clk 500 I own one and it is much more stylish and eyecatching then a stinkin c32, ewwwww!!

At risk of having my head kicked in.....

Isn't the CLK500 a little soggy compared to the C32?

In 2004/5 the C32 is going to be replaced by the C55, and the chances are it will have 4 tailpipes, LED rear lights and the CLK nose/grille... according to my info ;)

As said above I have heard as well that thier is supposed to be a C55 4 door coming out soon.

Road and track mag tested the C32AMG

Time to speed Seconds
0–30 mph.......1.9
0–40 mph.......2.7
0–50 mph.......3.9
0–60 mph.......5.1
0–70 mph.......6.5
0–80 mph.......8.3
0–90 mph.......10.2
0–100 mph.......12.2
Time to distance
0–100 ft.......2.9
0–500 ft.......7.4
0–900 ft.......10.7
0—1320 ft (1⁄4 mile).......13.6 @ 105.4 mph
Minimum stopping distance
From 60 mph.......118 ft
From 80 mph.......211 ft
Control.......excellent
Brake feel.......very good
Overall brake rating.......excellent
Our driving.......est 18.0 mpg
EPA city/highway.......17/22 mpg
Cruise range.......315 miles
Lateral acceleration
(200-ft skidpad).......0.86g
Balance .............moderate understeer
Speed through
700-ft slalom.......64.0 mph
Balance.......mild understeer

and the M3 US version only 333bhp (yours has 343bhp)

Time to speed Seconds
0–30 mph.......1.7
0–40 mph.......2.8
0–50 mph.......3.7
0–60 mph.......4.7
0–70 mph.......6.2
0–80 mph.......7.8
0–90 mph.......9.4
0–100 mph.......11.6
Time to distance
0–100 ft.......2.8
0–500 ft.......7.3
0–900 ft.......10.4
0—1320 ft (1⁄4 mile).......13.3 @ 106.8 mph
From 60 mph.......112 ft
From 80 mph.......200 ft
Control.......excellent
Brake feel.......excellent
Overall brake rating.......excellent

Our driving.......na
EPA city/highway.......na
Cruise range.......na
Fuel capacity.......16.6 gal.
Lateral acceleration
(200-m skidpad).......0.91g
Balance .............mild understeer1
Speed through
700-ft slalom.......na
Balance.......na

The M3 is a fraction quicker , has more grip 0.91g to 0.86g.

I had an E46 M3SMG2 Cab, great car, no problems, great on the track and generally people will say it's a better drivers car (I see you've got the 19"s, mine had a really hard ride on them) I have never driven a C32amg, but I am fairly sure it would be a much better cruiser and of course much nicer to be a passenger in all the mags seem to say this, autocar liked thier C32.

Clk500 actually did surprisingly well in road and tracks test (with sports suspension)

Time to speed Seconds
0–30 mph.......2.3
0–40 mph.......3.3
0–50 mph.......4.5
0–60 mph.......5.8
0–70 mph.......7.5
0–80 mph.......9.4
0–90 mph.......11.5
0–100 mph.......13.9
Time to distance
0–100 ft.......3.2
0–500 ft.......7.9
0–900 ft.......11.3
0—1320 ft (1⁄4 mile).......14.3 @ 101.6 mph
From 60 mph.......131 ft
From 80 mph.......228 ft
Control.......very good
Brake feel.......very good
Overall brake rating.......very good
Subjective ratings consist of excellent, very good, good,
average, poor; na means information is not available.
Our driving.......17.0 mpg
EPA city/highway.......16/23 mpg
Cruise range.......262 miles
Fuel capacity.......16.4 gal.
Lateral acceleration
(200-ft skidpad).......0.85g
Balance .............moderate understeer
Speed through
700-ft slalom.......66.5 mph
Balance.......mild understeer

1.7 secs slower to 100 than the C32 (still quick though), but got grip of 0.85g, braking was worse.

M3 Pure fun, fastest, great noise, Hoooligan, drive straight on to the track, value for money £38k, poor auto function on SMG, rough ride pain on long trips and for passengers.

C32AMG Practical fun, better ride, long journey comfort, space, C32 4 doors is just so good for lifts or even carrying things, auto box not good for track days, fairly expensive £44k plus goodies.

CLK500 Pose value, good for long journeys CLK500, not really a track day tool, bit slower, expensive to buy and equip £43k plus goodies.

If you fancy going for even more comfort £42k you could get an E500, with active suspension as standard (amazing system :D), limo luxury, very civilised cruiser and still able to be quite sporty.

All great cars have fun choosing :D

BMW M3 SMG Coupe got a bad review in the Sunday Times Driving section 2 days ago... did you see it?

Re: c32/clk500

Originally posted by sza203
Definetly go with the clk 500 I own one and it is much more stylish and eyecatching then a stinkin c32, ewwwww!!

stinkin C32?!?
confused.gif
:rolleyes:
plain.gif

Heh I hope that comment was in jest, otherwise I'd hardly call that a constructive comparison.

By the way... Welcome to the Forum :rolleyes:

S.

need an upgrade ;) Guys C32 is luuurvely, i have driven one since and its extremely smooth, not harsh like the M3!

def reccomend the mercs over the BM`s for all round comfort\performance driving!

former E36 BMW M3 EVO driver :)

Are you guys trying to get me to change my M3 already by resurrecting this thread?? I've only had it a couple of months....... although am already thinking about what to get next.......

Probably will change the M3 some time next year (or sooner if the speeding tickets start pouring in!) for something with a V8 - was dead impressed with Maff's CL500 at the GTG. EIther that, or end up in an Audi S4 after I manage my first accidental 360 degree spin when winter gets here :eek:

JumJum - nice to recognise a familiar name from BM3W :)

Didn't Road and Track (US) test the CLK500 to 60 in 5.2 sec and to 100 in about 12... I have one and it is very quick having now done 20K miles. Nothing has ever taken it and that includes a M5 on a 3 mile carriageway, and a blast with a 996 for about 20 miles on A roads… There was NOTHING in it!

The only car that gave me a run for my money was a Caterham R500 which pulled slightly away up to 120 then I just silently reeled it in... My car has had the VMax removed and according to Brabus will do 190 on the 18" wheel...?!?! A trip to Germany may be required to test that theory...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom