C350 ~33mpg :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr4z

Car
C350 CDI Sport Saloon 2011
Well after 1300 miles I am averaging 33MPG from my C350. Not great. Should I be expecting more after just 1300 miles although I am not doing much motorway driving...

Well after 1300 miles I am averaging 33MPG from my C350. Not great. Should I be expecting more after just 1300 miles although I am not doing much motorway driving...

No -I only average 38/39 in the 250 cdi so I'd say that's about right.

Mine is slowly creeping up (see sig below) however I have noticed that this varies a lot. The 60 second mpg display graph on comand is rather telling and you can still see I am being rather heavy with the right foot. If I drove like my Granny I could probably do a lot better.

So on Sunday a trip to Silverstone and back returned a healthier 38mpg and that included all the stop start traffic into the race track itself.

On my last car (335D) I struggled to get more than 34mpg out of it until it had covered about 7000 miles and even then when I parted with it, as you can see below, my average never beat 37mpg.

So I am expecting this car to beat that number but not by a huge amount. 40mpg would be a good result.

However

If fuel economy was my primary reason for buying a car I would have gone for the C200 or a Prius. As it is, I love big diesel engines and the driving experience they deliver so am never going to get too upset if I don't get 50mpg. I also tend to drive them like they were meant to be driven when I get the opportunity. That will never result in great fuel economy. I mean you never hear a C63 driver complaining about low MPG do you. For some reason people think that the only reason for buying a diesel is fuel economy. That isn't the reason I buy them.

But this week I have a run to Birmingham, then on to Leeds then back home. All motorways and duals so I am expecting to see an improvement. Then next weekend it's down to Brugge for the weekend so again, loads of motorway cruising.

Lets see what the numbers look like then.

Last edited:
If fuel economy was my primary reason for buying a car I would have gone for the C200 or a Prius.

I completely agree :) just wondered what others are getting. I have a heavy right foot anyway and just love the torque :thumb:

I completely agree :) just wondered what others are getting. I have a heavy right foot anyway and just love the torque :thumb:

You need to use Fuelly and post it on here. A very useful free tool

You're disappointed in that?? I'm absolutely over the moon at getting 31mpg ish out of my cls350 over the first 1000 miles! To have that power and noise while getting better fuel economy than I got way back when I had my Golf GTI seems incredible to me :D

I would like to think these figure improve?

33.9mpg sounds very low and given the new 7 speed + gearbox I thought these were far better than the old models? and 38 out of a C250 also?

I guess they are too new yet and still a bit tight, crusing at motoway speeds I would have thought 45 for the 350 and 50 + for the 250?

I love the fact I can put my foot down in mine and rather than in the ML I had the fuel guage just drops in this It seems to make little difference its great :)

I think people's expactations are a bit off before they've actually owned a diesel - I thought i'd be averaging 70mpg all day long in my polo but in the real world i'm averaging 52-58mpg consistently, I never see 60 unless its pure motorway otherwise i just don't have the patience. It could be better if I eco'd it in terms of driving and mods, but I figure that if i'm over 50mpg then its good enough for me!

5,000 miles into my C250CDI I only get 37 as an average though I'm happy with that.

I've got an E coupe 250CGI from the dealer at the moment which is doing about 27 which I was more suprised about. I guess it's a case of don't believe the hype.
Edd

This weekend - dragging out of Plymouth in a massive traffic jam - then lumbering over Dartmoor I averaged.............28 mpg...:eek::eek:

Have never seen it that low before ......then a cruise home up the M5 / M4 at a sensible 2000 rpm....ish....average ended up at 38 mpg.

Average over the past 10k is around 43 mpg.

The Lowest I have form my car so far is 26 to 28 mpg and that was towing a reasonable sized van.

:)

While I agree your never going to get the claimed figures 33 to 39mpg hardly sounds good at I guess normal motorway speeds, for these cars with the latest stop start, 7 speed gear box's?

I can get over 45 from ours by trying a little. But I note OP mentions not much motorway work. Heavy traffic / low speeds and hills do hit big diesel auto's.

^ That's true

plus the fact, new car, bit or vroom so probably a bit heavy footed :)

40+ easy from mine and its a bigger car with 2 gears less :)

TBH I was not really expecting much more than 33 with the type of driving I do - minor roads, on and off the gas, etc. I would like higher 30s though :)

I get 30-35mpg around town in my E-cab and that has the previous gen engine/7G 'box with 6k miles on the clock.

5,000 miles into my C250CDI I only get 37 as an average though I'm happy with that.

I agree with jqworle on this. Seems a bit low.

My aim with my C250 is to average around 48mpg on the commute. The reason is that my 2006 Impreza WRX (2.5l) gave me 24mpg on the same run, and at the same speed. If I can double the fuel economy, I can save £30 a week on fuel. That is the difference in contract hire between the two...

I can get over 45 from ours by trying a little. But I note OP mentions not much motorway work. Heavy traffic / low speeds and hills do hit big diesel auto's.

If i drive mine gently I have seen 50+++....but gosh it is a boring drive...:D

You have to drive like Miss Daisy if you want to get anywhere close to manufacturers numbers.

My average is below - I'm pretty happy with that as I do about 50/50 Town/Motorway.

It is obvious though how many more mpg you would get if you did a full tank on a motorway - I'd easily see over 600 miles out of a 60 litre tank.

Having this car has changed the way I drive, specifically I consciously try to keep off the throttle and accelerate gently, not flooring it the moment you pass the national speed limit sign adds up to a lot over the year.

Ignore the OBC though, it lies, worse than a cheap watch. Fuelly tells you how it is and it's a good 15% less than what the dashboard suggests.

i have rempapped 220 cdi and after much learning i can consitently get 42mpg on a trip and 45 if its largely motorway, hoofing it brings it down to 36mpg though so not bad really. id be happy with circa 35mpg out of the big diesels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom