C350 CDI v E350 CDI - confessions of a loan car pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ace571

Car
190E 2.6, Sportline spec
My C350 went in for some warranty work and I was provided with this fine machine to keep me mobile:

An interesting experience for several reasons - firstly as 4 years ago I ran a W211 AG saloon I was intrigued to see how the E Class game has moved on. Secondly as I test drove a F11 series 5 series prior to ordering my C it would be good to try it's arch rival in the sector, and thirdly this E350 was running the same 265bhp lump as my C estate - how would they differ in the different 'shell?

My impressions - the E is quieter than the C. The engine is barely audible at idle and low speeds, while in the C you can definitely hear more of a rumble from the V6.
The E feels significantly bigger and wider than the C, more "grown up" is one way I'd describe it. This E350 was a Sport, but it rode more serenely than the C Sport too. Less fidgety, smoother.
Somehow, the E felt quicker too - the engine just seem a bit more brutal. Now this could be down to it having over 7k miles under its belt, and as a loaner I suspect it's been given some exercise in it's short life so far! My C has done 4.5k, but I've been pretty gentle with it.
The E also has a lovely ambient lighting set up - all along the centre ridge in the dash and along the door cards it has "waterfall" lighting, which on this car with silver leather made it glow gorgeously at night. I also loved the shift free centre tunnel - not so keen on the steering column control if I'm honest, but that might be a familiarity thing.

So, you might be thinking I took quite a fancy to it? Well, actually no. Don't get me wrong, it has some fine attributes and is a fine car (much better IMO than the current F11 BMW 5 which is a bloaty, wallowy barge), but equally some aspects that surprised me somewhat.

The seats for example are horrendous. I simply could not get them into a position that felt right. I always felt like I was sat "on" the car, not "in" it. They were neither supportive nor comfortable. The seat base in particular is way too short and does not support legs/thighs enough. And I'm a short g!t, so how anyone closer to 6ft copes is a wonder. IIRC part of the issue here maybe because this car had silver leather, which means the car gets AG seats. Sports seats IIRC are only offered in black leather cars. Quite why MB do this on the E is beyond me - the C has sports seats in all leather colour options...
In comparison, getting back in my C the seats were a revelation. Lovely supportive bolsters, significantly longer seat base that tilts up much further and actually supports the underside of your thighs. Generally you sit much better in the car - in it, not on it!
Handling - perhaps why the car rides better, but I felt the car was a bit too uncontrolled when pressing on with some roads and conditions unsettling it quite significantly. While the C ride is a bit more fidgety, it handles sharply and with more poise and confidence. But then it is a smaller car...
Dashboard - a slightly odd looking piece to my eye. I can't say the C's is that much better, but the clocks and dials are much nicer in the current facelift C IMO. The E's are looking dated now, especially the basic looking LCD in the centre of the speedo - the newer colour high def displays are much better. I loved the dash in my old W211 - I think the W212 has lost that flair and elegance that the previous E had, to my eye. The steering wheel in the E is also looking a bit old school and is a good size bigger than the current C's. Too big IMO.

Not sure how this reads and comes across. It's not supposed to be a dig at the E, but just a honest appraisal of my thoughts of driving the E350 CDI Sport. Like I said, plenty to like about it, but equally illustrated to me how the facelifted C has plenty going for it, and in certain aspects is, in my opinion a nicer car. Getting back in it, it just felt like it moulds around you. You feel more of a driver, less of a passenger. But then again, maybe that's exactly the point of each car?

Last edited:
So, you might be thinking I took quite a fancy to it? Well, actually no.

An excellent "Clarkson" there :thumb:.

I agree about the dash - it doesn't have a consistency of theme - lots of angles going lots of different directions.

Look at an XF to see what should be going on inside a £40K car (IMO).

Interesting about the seats having short bases, that would matter to me.

I was really surprised as well DM. This car had full electric seats and I kept wondering if I'd missed a way of tilting the front of the seat up further.

I remember reading in the brochure that sports seats in the Sport where in black leather only. I am going to try out a black interiored Sport next time I'm in a dealer to see if they're any better. These seats were shocking. Look at the interior picture above - they are so flat :confused:

I agree about the dash - it doesn't have a consistency of theme - lots of angles going lots of different directions.

LOL at JC.

W211 dash is a much nicer design. Really works well.

XF - nah, not for me. IMO Audi clear up on making the best interiors.

Very nice.

btw it's F10 5 series not F11 :p

Good point. F11 is the estate (the model I was interested in)

Good write up there mate, it read very well :cool:

From my experience, Tony Purslow would always look after you with the loan cars, another good reason to use them. They would almost always get you into something equivalent to or better than your own.

I had fallen in love with the XF until I drove one !

Uncomfortable seats set a strange angle to the wheel. Rotary gear selector is a gimmick and not intuitive.

Very disappointed with the XF :(

New 212's have the same dash display as the new C - you've got a pre minor facelift car there.

I agree with the seat thing though, FIL has a new E220 and you do feel sat on it rather than in it.

I did try a sport estate which had the artico/alcantara sport seats which I really like and they were comfy. I wouldn't bother with leather to be honest I really like the alcantara. (Had is in my previous ML).

Nice write up, I'd still love an E350cdi Sport Estate, just for the room in the thing.

I remember reading in the brochure that sports seats in the Sport where in black leather only.

Just checked on the E class Price list brochure. Page 51, "sport upholstery" footnote 8 - Almond beige, Alpaca grey, Chestnut brown, Natural beige leather - not available with sports seats. Footnote 9 - "Sports seats with optional leather available only in Black"

What a strange decision by MB there. This doesn't apply to the C Class Sport :confused:

Either way, any seat fitted to an E should not be as poor as these IMO.

I hope the upcoming facelift/model refresh for the E tackles it.

New 212's have the same dash display as the new C - you've got a pre minor facelift car there.

Thanks Red - have these just come out? This car was a 61 reg, but as you say could have missed the update?

As a happy E350 CDI driver myself, this is a pretty bang-on assessment.

I found the same thing with the seats and it took a lot of experimenting to get a comfortable driving position.

If I'd wanted a car for pure driving enjoyment for the price, I probably would have chosen something else (maybe the XF S). But I wanted a mile eating large estate for which the E class (in my opinion) is still the best in class.

Agreed Pete. Certainly wipes the floor with the F10/11 5 series. The E estate's boot is also the biggest load capacity you will get this side of a Transit van.

Does your car have black leather?

Interesting read, thanks for posting. The E350 CDi will probably be a replacement for mine when the time comes - though I'll get the Avantgarde rather than the Sport.

Dieselman said:
It comes across a s a fair appraisal. Interesting about the seats having short bases, that would matter to me.

I posted this re my loan of a 212. I'm glad someone else has posted the same experience I had and the sports seats are no better. Set too high, bases too short and the squab doesn't tilt enough to give good thigh support. Not an issue on the 204 which seats you nice, low and in support.

I posted this re my loan of a 212. I'm glad someone else has posted the same experience I had and the sports seats are no better. Set too high, bases too short and the squab doesn't tilt enough to give good thigh support. Not an issue on the 204 which seats you nice, low and in support.

Or the previous w211 which had good seats, the sports versions being even better.

Interesting that you found w212 sports seats to have the similar shortfalls. I guess(hope) the E63 seats must be ok?

ace571 said:
Or the previous w211 which had good seats, the sports versions being even better.

Interesting that you found w212 sports seats to have the similar shortfalls. I guess(hope) the E63 seats must be ok?

The 211 seats are quite like the 204s. Nice long bases and go reasonably low. The pedals seem deeper in the footwell in both these cars. The 212s seats are more similar to that of the ML. The 63 from sitting in one isn't a lot better. I asked at a dealer as I would like a 212 some day whether you could retrofit the E class coupe seats to the 212. No was the answer. Doubt I will have a 212 as I have a back problem and never could get comfortable in the 212 and always had aches after driving the thing. Shame as it was a nice driving thing even though the steering was too light it was accurate and controlled and very spacious but the seats rule it out

Agreed Pete. Certainly wipes the floor with the F10/11 5 series. The E estate's boot is also the biggest load capacity you will get this side of a Transit van.

Does your car have black leather?

I think only the Volvo V70 comes close, but I didn't really want a car that thought it was a boat.

Yes, I have the black leather sports seats in mine. The seat pans are a bit on the short side and force you to sit rather high up. I found that tilting the pan up under my thighs gave a more comfortable, secure position. I still need to fine tune the lumbar support.

Coming from the BMW, I immediately noticed that I couldn't lower the seat to the level that I was used to. I dare say that this higher position has the psychological effect of affecting the handling. I had the feeling that under some pressure the car wanted to understeer, but it steadfastly stayed on line. I think that if I was sitting lower, I wouldn't have had that impression.

Then again, my mother always used to complain about how difficult it was to get in/out of the BMW due to the low position of the seats. She approves of the Merc.

Interesting about the seats having short bases, that would matter to me.

At 6ft 6in It would matter to me too. Had 2 x 210 and 1 x 211 Did not like the look of the 212 when it arrived on the scene but it is starting to grow on me now that there a feww on the roads to be seen.

Not driven a BMW F10 but currently in a 530i SE and that does not wallow IMO even when driven briskly.

Just checked on the E class Price list brochure. Page 51, "sport upholstery" footnote 8 - Almond beige, Alpaca grey, Chestnut brown, Natural beige leather - not available with sports seats. Footnote 9 - "Sports seats with optional leather available only in Black"

What a strange decision by MB there. This doesn't apply to the C Class Sport :confused:

Either way, any seat fitted to an E should not be as poor as these IMO.

I hope the upcoming facelift/model refresh for the E tackles it.

nice review btw, very informative :)

we've got an E350CDI sport cabrio 125 edition coming for 1st March. I've checked the specific brochure for the 125 edition & the latest brochure available from MB, both refer to the Sport model seats being available in 5 choices of leather.

i had an E cabrio courtesy car last Sept & found the thigh support not good, can't say i've noticed this in any of the facelift models i've sat in so hopefully something has changed for the better.

nice review btw, very informative :)

we've got an E350CDI sport cabrio 125 edition coming for 1st March. I've checked the specific brochure for the 125 edition & the latest brochure available from MB, both refer to the Sport model seats being available in 5 choices of leather.

i had an E cabrio courtesy car last Sept & found the thigh support not good, can't say i've noticed this in any of the facelift models i've sat in so hopefully something has changed for the better.

Cheers.

The E Cabrio is a different set up on seats/leather than the saloon. The footnotes I refer to above apply to the current E saloon.

Makes it even more puzzling why MB offer all options on the C and E coupe/cabrio but not saloon :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom